Cubs Thread: 6-4, 2nd in Central (vs St. Louis)

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Re:Series: Cubs at Astros (April 6-8, 2009)

Depends on who your other options are...

I kind was flipping it back and forth between the title game, did anyone here if Milton is alright?

Kush77

Liked Posts:

Good to Big Z finally pitch well in an opener. Also nice to beat Oswalt

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:

ryguy24 wrote:

I kind was flipping it back and forth between the title game, did anyone here if Milton is alright?

havent heard yet. that ankle turn looked bad though.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:

chi_hawks_23 wrote:
ryguy24 wrote:

havent heard yet. that ankle turn looked bad though.

At least Hoff should be able to step in if he has to miss any significant amount of time. That said, i've done things like that before and it hurts a bunch at first but usually gets better with time (at least i'm hoping). It's going to be a bit of a buzz kill if he has to miss more than a couple games though, I guess we just have to optimistically hope he won't be injured as much as he was in the past (probably wishful thinking). Even if he does continue with the chronic injuries, we just have to make sure and baby him until playoff time since that's where those on base skills will really help us when we get into our typical October slump.

Jamfan

Twitter: @jamfan41
Liked Posts:

Milton%203.gif

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:

Bradley already got hurt? LMAO!!!! Shows how smart cubs management is when they could of have Abreu and Derosa instead of Bradley

Jamfan

Liked Posts:

Dpauley23 wrote:
Bradley already got hurt? LMAO!!!! Shows how smart cubs management is when they could of have Abreu and Derosa instead of Bradley
He rolled his ankle but stayed in.

Jamfan

Liked Posts:

But he can't play the field I guess
Milton.gif

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Cubs, Big Z beat Astros in season opener

HOUSTON — If they held an election last October to pick the top goat of the Cubs' playoff loss to Los Angeles, Alfonso Soriano and Aramis Ramirez probably would've finished 1-2 in the voting.

The two wound up a combined 3-for-25 in the Dodgers' three-game sweep.But Soriano and Ramirez helped get the Cubs' 2009 season off to a good start Monday, homering off Roy Oswalt to kick-start the offense in a 4-2 win over the Astros.

Carlos Zambrano allowed one run in six innings, striking out six while earning his first Opening Day victory in his fifth attempt.

Asked beforehand what was going to be the key for Zambrano, manager Lou Piniella said: "He's calm, cool and collected. Let's keep it like that for eight good innings."

Zambrano? Calm, cool and collected?

He managed to do just that for six-plus innings, which was fine by Piniella.

"I think the first two years I've been here he probably over-readied himself," Piniella said of Zambrano's Opening Day struggles. "But he seems nice and relaxed and confident."

Soriano was also relaxed and confident, as ESPN announcer Rick Sutcliffe discovered when he walked up to Soriano's locker before the game.

"What did I say in spring training?" Sutcliffe asked Soriano.

"Just me and you, baby," Soriano replied.

"I said, that's my MVP this year," Sutcliffe said.

"Just stay healthy, that's the key," Soriano said.

"You going to prove me right?" Sutcliffe asked.

Soriano smiled sheepishly and said: "Yeah."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-07-web-cubs-gamerapr07,0,4822173.story

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Chicago Cubs follow script in 4-2 Opening Day win over Houston Astros

HOUSTON — Two pitches. One swing.

A screaming line drive over the left-field wall by Alfonso Soriano … and so began the serious part of baseball's first 201-game dress rehearsal.

Seldom has more been expected from a Cubs team than this one—a supposedly improved version of the one that won 97 games last season, albeit none in the postseason, the only time that now counts with its fan base.

But nothing happened on Opening Night to make the expectations of another stroll through the National League Central seem like Wrigleyville hallucinations.

To the contrary, the Cubs rolled a 4-2 victory over Houston off the assembly line, almost exactly as Jim Hendry and Lou Piniella drew it up. And to make things even a little sweeter, the rival St. Louis Cardinals—seemingly a contender with ace Chris Carpenter healthy—imploded in the ninth inning of their opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

If the rest of the season follows this script, boredom could be Piniella's biggest problem in August and September, as it probably has been since arriving in Mesa, Ariz., almost two months ago.

"The way we drew it up before the ballgame is the way it played out," Piniella said afterward, specifically referring to Carlos Zambrano and his bullpen. "It's a good formula. Let's hope it continues to work."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-07-rogers-chicagoapr07,0,4326673.column

ryguy24

Liked Posts:

Tomorrow's game:

7:05 Chicago time

WGN

Dempster vs. the always pesky Wandy Rodriguez.

I don't have the stats, but it feels like Wandy (or any lefty actually) always gives us major trouble.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:

ryguy24 wrote:
Tomorrow's game:

7:05 Chicago time

WGN

Dempster vs. the always pesky Wandy Rodriguez.

I don't have the stats, but it feels like Wandy (or any lefty actually) always gives us major trouble.

Wandy beat on us last year a couple times if I remember correctly. Seems we were only able to score a few runs against him each time we saw him.

And because of that, it would be nice to see this offense go ape-**** on him tonight and score about 15 runs.

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
Re:Series: Cubs at Astros (April 6th-8th, 2009)

Great win last night. Pretty jacked about this game. Even more jacked about a Cubs thread not dominated by a certain moderator from hell.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Chicago Cubs (1-0) at Houston Astros (0-1)

Tue Apr 7, 2009 TV: WGN, KTXH

Ryan Dempster (0-0)

Ryan%2520Dempster%2520and%2520Marisa%2520Miller.jpg

vs.

Wandy Rodriguez (0-0)

capt.64f49038080a44ee9be52ff6d56008c9.cardinals_astros_baseball_hta112.jpg

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

After four seasons working out of the bullpen, Ryan Dempster enjoyed a career year as a starter for the Chicago Cubs in 2008.

He hopes to build off that success starting Tuesday night while trying to help the visiting Cubs record a second straight victory over the Houston Astros and secure their first winning opening series in six years.

Dempster amassed 99 saves in his previous three seasons for the Cubs, but welcomed the transition back to the rotation where he spent his first six before undergoing elbow surgery in 2003.

The NL All-Star right-hander didn’t disappointment, finishing 17-6 with a 2.96 ERA to help Chicago win its second straight Central Division title. Dempster became the first pitcher since Detroit’s John Hiller in 1973-1974 to record 25 or more saves then win at least 17 games the following season.

“You throw a ball over the plate with good conviction and let them hit it, and good things end up happening,” Dempster told the Cubs’ official Web site.

Dempster didn’t fare well the last time he took the mound in a game that counted, allowing four runs and seven walks in 4 2-3 innings of the Cubs’ 7-2 loss to Los Angeles in Game 1 of the NL Division series. He’s also struggled against Houston, going 4-9 with a 5.18 ERA in 15 starts.

Dempster, though, could be in good shape to improve that record after five Chicago pitchers kept the Astros in check during Monday’s 4-2 season-opening victory. Kevin Gregg, who beat out Carlos Marmol for the closer role, allowed a run during a shaky ninth inning to earn his first save as a Cub.

Mike Fontenot went 3-for-4 with two runs scored while Alfonso Soriano hit his 50th leadoff homer and Aramis Ramirez added a solo shot for the Cubs, who haven’t won a season-opening series since 2003 or their first two contests since 1995.

“Soriano, basically in that leadoff hole, is instant offense,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. “When he’s focused at home plate, swinging at strikes, he’s an offensive machine.”

Soriano is batting .361 (13-for-36) with five homers and 10 RBIs during an eight-game hitting streak against Houston, but is 1-for-9 with an RBI against Astros’ scheduled starter Wandy Rodriguez.

Rodriguez went 9-7 with a career-best 3.54 ERA in 25 starts last season for the Astros.

The left-hander, who has won nine games in each of his last three seasons, is 4-4 with a 4.68 ERA in 10 starts against Chicago, including 3-1 with a 2.27 ERA versus the Cubs at Minute Maid Park.

Rodriguez will likely need more run support than the Astros gave ace Roy Oswalt on Monday to improve on his home record against Chicago. Ivan Rodriguez, Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee - 2-3-4 in the Astros’ order - went a combined 1-for-10.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview;_ylt=Al.44aWYY2n5asS9k7u6FSURvLYF?gid=290407118

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Three up, three down in the first inning for the Cubs.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Re:Series Thread: Cubs @ Astros (April 6th-8th, 2009)

Three up and three down for the Astros as well.

Ryan Dempster had back to back strike outs to finish the inning.

Wandy's pitching didn't look like anything special in the first inning. He did have one really nice heater though.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Wandy just beaned Soto. Wandy has no control over his pitches at all. I think he's going to get hammered if they keep him in.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Ryan Theriot had a nice double off the left field scoreboard.

David Lee then had an RBI single, which gave the Cubs their first lead of the game.

Cubs lead 1-0.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:

Demp has been dealing.