Cubs To Keep Jim Hendry

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure he hasn't made money on the White Sox and has no interest in making money on the White Sox.

he has stated the sox have always been a hobby, he just doesnt want to lose money. this is a fact.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if you listen to joe dope, he didnt care about buying a team until he heard they sell win or lose. that is a problem.

again, keep thinking this. i cant wait until the offseason and you dont sign any big time FA.

Joe isn't in charge of the team, though, buddy. Tom is.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
670 the score right now is talking about a possible pena extension. i will listen and see who is reporting this.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Um, it's not? I'm sorry, I thought the whole spending a shit ton of money on the draft and overseas players was a positive.

@Dew If the debt is so bad, how does Ricketts have enough money to pay all these players we have drafted, pay for 2 players in 7 figures from Latin America, and build a new baseball academy?

I didn't say it was acceptable. Nor did I say anything about wanting Hendry to stay. Just because Bob Nightengale says it's true, doesn't mean it is. Thus, let's wait and see.
I've waited 3 years and the Cubs have gotten worse each level at every level. The only thing they've done is ask a bankrupt state for money for renovations, and signed prospects.

Dews, the Cubs sold out in 07-08 at home. With capacity at over 99% average.

Obviously the Cubs haven't been selling out anymore :lol:

I don't see the problem in fans wanting free agents to better their team, but some posters who think the Cubs are two pieces away are ridiculous.

I want to see posts from last year seeing that no one on here was excited for Adam Dunn to be a FA.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've waited 3 years and the Cubs have gotten worse each level at every level. The only thing they've done is ask a bankrupt state for money for renovations, and signed prospects.

Dews, the Cubs sold out in 07-08 at home. With capacity at over 99% average.

Obviously the Cubs haven't been selling out anymore :lol:

I don't see the problem in fans wanting free agents to better their team, but some posters who think the Cubs are two pieces away are ridiculous.

I want to see posts from last year seeing that no one on here was excited for Adam Dunn to be a FA.

The bolded part is not true. The Cubs farm system reached a low of 27th as an organization according to Baseball America in 2009, and has since rebounded to 16th (after trading away two top 100 prospects in the offseason). Add in the haul that the Cubs have made in the amateur draft and international free agents and that should improve some more. So every level hasn't gotten worse. The team at the major league level has gotten worse each year.

I also don't understand what you meant by the last line. You think people weren't excited about Dunn as FA and the thoughts of the Cubs going after him? I am just trying to understand the point.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The bolded part is not true. The Cubs farm system reached a low of 27th as an organization according to Baseball America in 2009, and has since rebounded to 16th (after trading away two top 100 prospects in the offseason). Add in the haul that the Cubs have made in the amateur draft and international free agents and that should improve some more. So every level hasn't gotten worse. The team at the major league level has gotten worse each year.

I also don't understand what you meant by the last line. You think people weren't excited about Dunn as FA and the thoughts of the Cubs going after him? I am just trying to understand the point.
OK the farm system got better, but the Royals have a good farm system too.

What I'm saying is I can't believe White Sox forum wasn't talking about signing Adam Dunn last winter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right now isn't a good time to be a Cubs fan and it is just as likely that things are going to get worse as they are going to get better in the near future. There are some positive signs top prospects about to reach big league level and major investments in the acquisition and development of prospects. There are bad signs like a poor economy, massive debt that the Ricketts have to acquire the team, and lack of talent at the major league level. This offseason is going to be the telling one for which way we are headed. If the payroll drops below 115 million it is going to be a long time before this team can compete, and even longer if Hendry is the one in charge of that 115 million.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well Kenney has been the President since 2003, which was Hendry's first full season.

I agree that he needs to be at least partially responsible. However, I think that people are putting way to much stock into Hendry still being the GM. Really the only time that he could have been fired is last offseason. The offseason before would just be stupid, with the Ricketts having just bought the team. So let's say that we did get rid of him, what would be different? Maybe Pena's contract, maybe a couple trades. But there is a chance it could be worse. Sure, Hendry is nothing great, but he's not really that bad either. I just worry that whoever does replace Hendry will be worse.

Now, what do I mean by that? Hendry has done some dumb things, but he's also done some really great things. D-Lee(x2), Harden, Lilly, A-Ram, etc. They probably come close to being about even. With another GM the bads could be a whole lot worse. I'm fine with keeping Hendry and Q around for another year, if it means someone like Gillick is coming in. Although I'd love to get rid of Q, because I hate him. But if it means that Kenney is still in charge, then get rid of Hendry and Q, I don't see anyway that we get all 3 of those gone-so.

sure i guess it could be worse(and ya mea culpa i forgot kenney became prez in 03 i thought it was later)..(i would argue the harden and lilly moves didnt turn out to be so great..but still...hendry hasnt made all bad moves..but he's made quite a few of them...and he's arguably one of the main reasons we are in this situation with trying to get rid of overpaid salary veterans....

i would argue that all 3 need to leave, Q always seemed like a transition coach that never really managed the team well...frankly i think this situation was the last straw for henry..and as you said kenney just doesnt know baseball very

its not necessarily "cleaning house" but imo i think in this case a new start in that area of the personnel is necessary

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK the farm system got better, but the Royals have a good farm system too.

What I'm saying is I can't believe White Sox forum wasn't talking about signing Adam Dunn last winter.

We were more focused on Konerko and what was going to happen there. We thought there was a chance, but we just didnt really know what to think. The priority was konerko.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Kenny has not been the team's pres that long. MacFail left in 2006. McDonough followed him, then went to the Hawks a year later.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I havent watched a game in a few months and I refuse to watch or spend money on the franchise until he and others are gone.

I feel like an Intervention is needed.

This has been my stance since 2007!!! Good luck man. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.