Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Let's just wait and see what happens before we start to call for people's heads.
Are you related to Jim Hendry?

If you are that's fine, but 3 years of :turrible: baseball is unacceptable.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the situation isnt getting any better..

Um, it's not? I'm sorry, I thought the whole spending a shit ton of money on the draft and overseas players was a positive.

@Dew If the debt is so bad, how does Ricketts have enough money to pay all these players we have drafted, pay for 2 players in 7 figures from Latin America, and build a new baseball academy?

Are you related to Jim Hendry?

If you are that's fine, but 3 years of :turrible: baseball is unacceptable.

I didn't say it was acceptable. Nor did I say anything about wanting Hendry to stay. Just because Bob Nightengale says it's true, doesn't mean it is. Thus, let's wait and see.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Um, it's not? I'm sorry, I thought the whole spending a shit ton of money on the draft and overseas players was a positive.

ya,ok, those are good long term investments

but ricketts has made a mistake in keeping the current personnel..which is crucial to the condition of the team

i hope we do get some high profile free agents this offseason(even though we'd be spending with a bit of debt,but it seems ricketts doesnt care..though i can't be sure)

but i'm being cautiously optimistic here when you're competing with other big markets

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ya,ok, those are good long term investments

but ricketts has made a mistake in keeping the current personnel..which is crucial to the condition of the team

i hope we do get some high profile free agents this offseason(even though we'd be spending with a bit of debt,but it seems ricketts doesnt care..though i can't be sure)

but i'm being cautiously optimistic here when you're competing with other big markets

With another GM there wouldn't be that much a difference. And honestly, if getting a new GM means getting rid of Wilken, I'm not so sure it's worth it. I think that the bigger problem lies with Crane Kenney. Hendry is an average GM and while we could do better, we could also do a lot worse. However with Kenney, he's just not a baseball guy. That is what this team needs more than anything.

As far as the money goes, I just see no reason to think that we won't spend this offseason, given what Ricketts has done thus far.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With another GM there wouldn't be that much a difference. And honestly, if getting a new GM means getting rid of Wilken, I'm not so sure it's worth it. I think that the bigger problem lies with Crane Kenney. Hendry is an average GM and while we could do better, we could also do a lot worse. However with Kenney, he's just not a baseball guy. That is what this team needs more than anything.

As far as the money goes, I just see no reason to think that we won't spend this offseason, given what Ricketts has done thus far.

:rofl:

right, because he has an international academy and signed some guys for 7 figures. :rolleyes:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
also add that signing those guys for 7 figures, and having an academy is a cheaper route that they hope pays off than going out and spending a ton of money that they do not have. So to put stock in that, is just pure stupidity and complete false hope.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

i understand that you think that all the blame shouldnt be put on hendry for some of the questionable moves the cubs have made....but that doesnt mean that hendry isnt atleast somewhat responsible..

he is the GM..he makes the moves, works with all the cubs transactions

you're right Kenney doesnt know much about baseball and he shouldnt be president...thats another responsibility for ricketts to get done..thats what i meant by personnel...i could be wrong here,but didnt the ricketts have a little to do with kenney being appointed?

who do you mean exactly by alot worse than hendry? hendry doesnt have a fantastic track record when you look at some of the transactions even before kenney

and again, cant be sure whether or not the cubs will spend...seems like ricketts might despite our debt issues...i think we'll get a better picture once the end of the season comes

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
also add that signing those guys for 7 figures, and having an academy is a cheaper route that they hope pays off than going out and spending a ton of money that they do not have. So to put stock in that, is just pure stupidity and complete false hope.

What about the fact the Cubs paid most of the salaries of Derrek Lee and Kosuke Fukudome to actually get prospects in the deal?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Or perhaps they are just being smart about their money?

I'm sorry that I shouldn't put stock into Ricketts investing in the future after he said that he wants to build from within. What was I thinking?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs can afford to deal if they want to.

I still expect the payroll to be similar next year.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about the fact the Cubs paid most of the salaries of Derrek Lee and Kosuke Fukudome to actually get prospects in the deal?

yeah, that was sooo much money the took on. :rolleyes:

keep holding onto that hope that the cubs are going to be big spenders in the offseason.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah, that was sooo much money the took on. :rolleyes:

keep holding onto that hope that the cubs are going to be big spenders in the offseason.

Well unlike some posters I don't have super secret special sources that tell me what is going to happen in the future. All I can go by is the actions of this team so far. And their actions are not those of a team in financial distress.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i understand that you think that all the blame shouldnt be put on hendry for some of the questionable moves the cubs have made....but that doesnt mean that hendry isnt atleast somewhat responsible..

he is the GM..he makes the moves, works with all the cubs transactions

you're right Kenney doesnt know much about baseball and he shouldnt be president...thats another responsibility for ricketts to get done..thats what i meant by personnel...i could be wrong here,but didnt the ricketts have a little to do with kenney being appointed?

who do you mean exactly by alot worse than hendry? hendry doesnt have a fantastic track record when you look at some of the transactions even before kenney

and again, cant be sure whether or not the cubs will spend...seems like ricketts might despite our debt issues...i think we'll get a better picture once the end of the season comes

Well Kenney has been the President since 2003, which was Hendry's first full season.

I agree that he needs to be at least partially responsible. However, I think that people are putting way to much stock into Hendry still being the GM. Really the only time that he could have been fired is last offseason. The offseason before would just be stupid, with the Ricketts having just bought the team. So let's say that we did get rid of him, what would be different? Maybe Pena's contract, maybe a couple trades. But there is a chance it could be worse. Sure, Hendry is nothing great, but he's not really that bad either. I just worry that whoever does replace Hendry will be worse.

Now, what do I mean by that? Hendry has done some dumb things, but he's also done some really great things. D-Lee(x2), Harden, Lilly, A-Ram, etc. They probably come close to being about even. With another GM the bads could be a whole lot worse. I'm fine with keeping Hendry and Q around for another year, if it means someone like Gillick is coming in. Although I'd love to get rid of Q, because I hate him. But if it means that Kenney is still in charge, then get rid of Hendry and Q, I don't see anyway that we get all 3 of those gone-so.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well unlike some posters I don't have super secret special sources that tell me what is going to happen in the future. All I can go by is the actions of this team so far. And their actions are not those of a team in financial distress.

really? FactThey are 500 Million in the HOLE!!!!! what dont you get?

you arent getting fielder, or pujols, or wilson! Not happening. If you want to hold onto the false hope go ahead and follow the rest of the sheep. And I will say I told you so. sig bet? I will do one year of a cubs logo, you do 1 month of a sox logo.....sounds fair to me.

Next year at this time who will be the next pipe dream FA the cubs are going to get?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
really? FactThey are 500 Million in the HOLE!!!!! what dont you get?

you arent getting fielder, or pujols, or wilson! Not happening. If you want to hold onto the false hope go ahead and follow the rest of the sheep. And I will say I told you so. sig bet? I will do one year of a cubs logo, you do 1 month of a sox logo.....sounds fair to me.

Next year at this time who will be the next pipe dream FA the cubs are going to get?

And if it was such a huge deal that they were in the hole why aren't they jumping at every chance to unload salary? Why are they increasing spending anywhere in the franchise? If things were so terrible why aren't they saving nickels and dimes where ever they can?

And I never said we are getting any of them, and I've said that the payroll may very well go down. However, I don't accept it as a fact that you claim it to be at this point.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And if it was such a huge deal that they were in the hole why aren't they jumping at every chance to unload salary? Why are they increasing spending anywhere in the franchise? If things were so terrible why aren't they saving nickels and dimes where ever they can?

And I never said we are getting any of them, and I've said that the payroll may very well go down. However, I don't accept it as a fact that you claim it to be at this point.

have you not heard the comments by ricketts? he states that injuries are the reason why the cubs were bad.....he also likes the dynamic of the roster.

soriano- no one will take him, so why pay for his whole salary to be off of your team?

zambrano- no one wanted him, and now no one will ever want him

carlos pena- not a whole lot to unload there, alot of people think he is in the future plans, he wasnt not traded because they want to satisfy scott boras because that is fielders agent as well.

aram- im sure they could have moved him, but he put up a stink about leaving....the only real team taking a look was the angels.

marlon byrd- is still cheap

It isnt like they can just easily sell these players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought he had been, balls. WGN Radio's website is wrong then.

Crane Kenney probably was involved with the Cubs side of the company since 2003, and I actually can't remember when McDonough took over as president.*

*Oh duh, he was named when MacPhail was fired which was 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.