Cubs trade for Dexter Fowler

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Albert Almora for one. If not him Alcantara might grow into the role and worse case scenario they go out and find a guy who fits what they want a little better than Fowler. He's a good player and a nice fit for 2015 but ideally you want just a little better with some better D and some speed.
So if Fowler provides what they need at the leadoff spot this season, youd rather they let him go and hope almora or alcantara can provide what he gave instead of bringing him back another year ?

I haven't seen anything out of Almora yet to feel confidence in him taking over as a leadoff hitter. .

Imo I just dont see Alcantara as an everyday player in MLB.. I think he a solid role player. .

I guess if there a top 28/29 yo FA leadoff hitting CFer available you try and get him.. not sure if one available next off season though...

I can easily see Fowler extended at some point this year to come back in 2016

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So if Fowler provides what they need at the leadoff spot this season, youd rather they let him go and hope almora or alcantara can provide what he gave instead of bringing him back another year ?

I haven't seen anything out of Almora yet to feel confidence in him taking over as a leadoff hitter. .

Imo I just dont see Alcantara as an everyday player in MLB.. I think he a solid role player. .

I guess if there a top 28/29 yo FA leadoff hitting CFer available you try and get him.. not sure if one available next off season though...

Fowler isn't that good of a player. You are acting like he is an all star that needs to be extended. He just walks a lot and that's about it. He is not fast. He had the second worst cf war for defense. Matt kemp was the only one worse. His woba was .348 last year. He is epitome of average that isn't going to be in his prime much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Fowler isn't that good of a player. You are acting like he is an all star that needs to be extended. He just walks a lot and that's about it. He is not fast. He had the second worst cf war for defense. Matt kemp was the only one worse. His woba was .348 last year. He is epitome of average that isn't going to be in his prime much longer.

No.. I just said if he put up decent numbers and does his job this year as a leadoff hitter ..
They could consider extending him a year..

No where in my comments did I mention he was an AS great player. ..

As some of you are assuming he just a 1 yr rental, im just saying if he plays well he could be brought back.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

A few things, I disagree on Alcantara. This kid is going to play a lot, he may not have a position immediately but Maddon is said to like him so he'll play as a super sub. As far as Almora this year is going to show a lot but Theo and Jed love him and have for a while, he's going to get a shot. As far as Fowler if he's really good they might consider signing him but he's estimated to get a deal of about 4 years/$50 million. When you know they're going to need another starting pitcher do you want money spent there or see what you have in Alcantara and Almora and if you have to get a guy maybe trade for someone that won't cost $12.5 mil per?

czman

Liked Posts:
I like the deal, but I don't know anything about the minor league player they gave up. It shows me they are looking to win this year, maybe not the entire thing, but they are making a short term move that is designed to play dividends right now.

I don't know how much it will help, but I like that they made this kind of move.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I like the deal, but I don't know anything about the minor league player they gave up. It shows me they are looking to win this year, maybe not the entire thing, but they are making a short term move that is designed to play dividends right now.

I don't know how much it will help, but I like that they made this kind of move.

Who don't you know about? They gave up Luis Valbuena and Dan Straily. Straily came over as more or less a throw in the Samardzija, Hammell deal from Oakland. He's a fringe 5th starter that likely wasn't going to get a shot in Chicago.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I don't know that Almora becomes your leadoff hitter, but if he plays elite D in CF and is ready, vs. $10 million + for a good OBP/poor D guy, I would say there's a good chance Fowler walks. It's not out of the question that they resign him, but I am assuming he is here one year.

And I don't quite get why people have already made up their minds that Alcantara is not an everyday player, Scout like him, fans don't for some reason. I think AA has a good chance to be a good everyday player. He has some pop, has speed, plays smart (takes the extra base, etc.). He will be good.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know that Almora becomes your leadoff hitter, but if he plays elite D in CF and is ready, vs. $10 million + for a good OBP/poor D guy, I would say there's a good chance Fowler walks. It's not out of the question that they resign him, but I am assuming he is here one year.

And I don't quite get why people have already made up their minds that Alcantara is not an everyday player, Scout like him, fans don't for some reason. I think AA has a good chance to be a good everyday player. He has some pop, has speed, plays smart (takes the extra base, etc.). He will be good.

People only look at short term now a days. They think everyone either succeeds off the bat or doesn't. It's really dumb. I blame the mike trouts of the world

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the internetz

TL1961

Liked Posts:
People only look at short term now a days. They think everyone either succeeds off the bat or doesn't. It's really dumb. I blame the mike trouts of the world

Trout batted .220 in his first stint in the majors. .671 OPS. he is the best player in the league. Alcantara was .205 and .621, and he's not an everyday player. Clearly the biggest difference is K's. That doesn't bode as well for AA. But nobody is expecting or predicting he is anywhere near Trout. Simply an everyday player!

People assume AA won't get much better than his first 1/2 season. Even though we saw that Rizzo, for one, just went through this same struggle.

Bottom line: Give the kid a little time!

chibears55

Liked Posts:

My whole point is as of today there a chance Fowler could come back next year..

Going with the IFs.. he provides them with what their looking for , Almora doesn't show signs he ready for next yr, and they decide AA is worth more to them traded or as a role player then starter...

Its not automatic as some assume he just here for 1 yr, there a chance he returns...

That my one and only point to this....

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Maddon is said to love Alcantara.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree. It is not automatic Fowler leaves after one yr. Not automatic AA is a super-sub only. Not automatic Almora makes it in 2016.

And they don't need to make these decisions yet, so we shall see.

But I agree, nothing set in stone on Fowler or others.

Just glad to see him here in 2015.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree. It is not automatic Fowler leaves after one yr. Not automatic AA is a super-sub only. Not automatic Almora makes it in 2016.

Almora should stick in AA until the dead line.
2014: Tenn: .234/.250/.355 He was not adjusted to the league after 141 AB's. In Daytona he put up .283/.306/.406 So he was never adjusted to the talent. He will start in AA for 200-300 AB's IMO.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

That all i was saying. ..

I just asked why some assume now that Fowler just here for 1 year...

We dont know what gonna happen between now and say july/Aug that might have the cubs think about bringing him back another year..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maddon is said to love Alcantara.
That great but does he love him as a potential starting CFer or 2Bmen or does he love him as a potential player who could spot start at 2-3 different positions and play match up with..

I think it more so as a potential spot starter...

greg23

Liked Posts:
why does everyone keep talking about fowler in LF.....he's a CF and has NEVER played lf and only played 1 game in rf (and that was his rookie year about 7-8 years ago

don't buy into the bs metrics that he's a horrible cf....he's fine.....probably average to maybe slightly below average (and that's based on playing in two of the biggest cf in baseball in col and hou)...he'll be fine 81 games in Wrigley.

as for other options.....coughlin is a below avg in lf and would be really bad in cf....soler isn't a cf......alcantera is similar to fowler in cf but has a worse arm and is error prone.

think this gives maddon tons of flexibility but wouldn't count on fowler playing anything other than cf with alcantera backing him up and coughlin/alcantara/denrofia/lake in lf and soler/Sweeney/denorfia/lake in rf (with lake likely being sent out to iowa)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
why does everyone keep talking about fowler in LF.....he's a CF and has NEVER played lf and only played 1 game in rf (and that was his rookie year about 7-8 years ago

don't buy into the bs metrics that he's a horrible cf....he's fine.....probably average to maybe slightly below average (and that's based on playing in two of the biggest cf in baseball in col and hou)...he'll be fine 81 games in Wrigley.

as for other options.....coughlin is a below avg in lf and would be really bad in cf....soler isn't a cf......alcantera is similar to fowler in cf but has a worse arm and is error prone.

think this gives maddon tons of flexibility but wouldn't count on fowler playing anything other than cf with alcantera backing him up and coughlin/alcantara/denrofia/lake in lf and soler/Sweeney/denorfia/lake in rf (with lake likely being sent out to iowa)

Alcantara is way faster and has a way better arm then Fowler. What Alcantara doesnt have is experience. Fowler is not fast at all. He is a good base runner but his speed is a tick above average.