Cubs trade Rumors Thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Figured Id get one started now, seems like with the release of marmol they might be getting ready to start dealing..

I heard a report that said epstein and hoyer have spoken with every GM about possible trades the last week.

The Cubs are "getting multiple hits" on closer Kevin Gregg, according to ESPN's Buster Olney (on Twitter).

Gregg could serve as a bargain bullpen upgrade for teams that don't wish to meet the steep asking price on players like Jesse Crain and Jonathan Papelbon (if he does indeed become available). Gregg ranks fourth in FIP, xFIP and WAR among relief trade candidates according to the custom Fangraphs leaderboard compiled yesterday by MLBTR's Tim Dierkes.

One National League executive predicted that the Cubs' Matt Garza will be the first pitcher traded; he's thought to be eminently available, as the Cubs are not comfortable with his asking price on a potential new contract. The Padres and Dodgers are among the teams pursuing Garza, reported Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports earlier today.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
By Steve Adams [June 25 at 9:12pm CST]
9:12pm: The Cubs have also received calls on James Russell, but they're not inclined to trade him, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter).

cubs

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would not trade Russel unless it was for a good package. He is young, under control and one of the best lefty relievers in baseball. He could be a mainstay in the bullpen for awhile. I would be looking for a better package than we got for Marshall.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Well, if they have done anything good for this lousy team this year, THEY GONE!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would not trade Russel unless it was for a good package. He is young, under control and one of the best lefty relievers in baseball. He could be a mainstay in the bullpen for awhile. I would be looking for a better package than we got for Marshall.

Agree.. Unless their blown away by an offer, i would think he part of their core going forward being just 27.
He has the potential to be a future closer as he improving on getting RH hitters out the last 2 seasons.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree.. Unless their blown away by an offer, i would think he part of their core going forward being just 27.
He has the potential to be a future closer as he improving on getting RH hitters out the last 2 seasons.

CL?????? God NO. Nothing about him saids him being a CL. He a setup LH. Thats all.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
CL?????? God NO. Nothing about him saids him being a CL. He a setup LH. Thats all.

I said future closer..
he has 2 more yrs until he a FA, im sure as he continues to improve against RHers he may end up getting a shot at closing whether its with the cubs or another team.

czman

Liked Posts:

You think the Cubs should have gotten more than Wood for Marshall?

The Cubs got a younger pitcher, with more control and they got a starter. Wood has a sub 4 ERA as a starter and is 26.

Wood has had a 1.122 WHIP as a Cub. He is still young enough to improve some.

If Wood ends up with a ~3.5 ERA and ~170 IP doesn't that blow what Marshall does away?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
If Wood ends up with a ~3.5 ERA and ~170 IP doesn't that blow what Marshall does away?
First of, that is an IF.

Second, don't act as if this happens all the time where you trade an elite reliever, get a potential rotation pitcher who struggled both with the Reds and at the beginning of last year with the Cubs and has turned his career around.

The odds of it happening again are astronomical.

SilenceS is spot on with this.

czman

Liked Posts:
First of, that is an IF.

Second, don't act as if this happens all the time where you trade an elite reliever, get a potential rotation pitcher who struggled both with the Reds and at the beginning of last year with the Cubs and has turned his career around.

I know you are going to jump on what I typed because of old crap, but let's leave the past in the past.

Wood had really good first season and a not so good 2nd one.

Last year he was ok

His career WHIP is under 1.2.

His career ERA is under 4.

He has only had one season where is WHIP was over 1.2.

He is young. He is under control. If the Cubs get that type of return they will be much better off.

Wood looks like he will have a sub 4 ERA this season. That is nothing to sneeze at. He is not going to win a Cy Young, but he is a quality back end pitcher. That has value.

Yes, the odds of trading a known commodity for an unknown commodity are not in a teams favor. The unknown players in baseball have a very small % of success. In this case though the Cubs did all right. This is not a trade fans should be lamenting.

Silence stated this:
I would be looking for a better package than we got for Marshall.

I think the Cubs did fine in the Marshall deal. I would be ok with a similar return. If you think the cubs need a greater return that is a difference of opinion. I think you are setting the bar unbelievable high and setting yourself up for disappointment though.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
First of, that is an IF.

Wood at the time was an unknown but had some experience starting and was LH. His age at the time was 24 so he could have been in adjustments.

The rest of the package was garbage.

Over all Wood > Marshall

Wood had to become Volstad and being kicked team to team now for that trade for fail.

On Russell: It would be stupid to trade him. He gets the job done. When they traded Marshall they still had Russell as a fall back pen. Who is the LH n the pen right now? "crickets"

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs did fine in the Marshall deal. I would be ok with a similar return. If you think the cubs need a greater return that is a difference of opinion. I think you are setting the bar unbelievable high and setting yourself up for disappointment though.

Again they have not LH in the pen learning the league to take over. It makes sense why they are holding the deck here.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again they have not LH in the pen learning the league to take over. It makes sense why they are holding the deck here.

Hopefully Roscup takes a step forward to provide another solid lefty in the pen, but he is a ways away from being there still. Also some serious red flags with his health and walk rates at this point, but he is the most interesting guy we have at this point for that role.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know you are going to jump on what I typed because of old crap, but let's leave the past in the past.

Wood had really good first season and a not so good 2nd one.

Last year he was ok

His career WHIP is under 1.2.

His career ERA is under 4.

He has only had one season where is WHIP was over 1.2.

He is young. He is under control. If the Cubs get that type of return they will be much better off.

Wood looks like he will have a sub 4 ERA this season. That is nothing to sneeze at. He is not going to win a Cy Young, but he is a quality back end pitcher. That has value.

Yes, the odds of trading a known commodity for an unknown commodity are not in a teams favor. The unknown players in baseball have a very small % of success. In this case though the Cubs did all right. This is not a trade fans should be lamenting.

Silence stated this:
I would be looking for a better package than we got for Marshall.

The difference is Marshall was going into his 30's and wasnt under team control anymore. He had to be signed to a contract to keep him. Russell has isnt a FA until 2016. That is two years of a lefty in his prime for cheap. Yes, the Cubs should get a better package then they got for Marshall or I wouldnt trade him. Im talking a top 100 prospect plus something else. I didnt rip the Marshall trade, but the Cubs dont trade Marshall for Travis Wood straight up. Torreyes was a big part of that trade. Im not setting the bar unbelievable high. I am setting the bar where the Cubs should sit or not move him. Wood was not good when he came here. The Cubs believed they could fix him. They have done a much better job on him, but he is still a back of the rotation type who could be a 3 on only his best year.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
The Tigers could use some bullpen help. Package Russell and Feldman for Drew Smyly, Rick Porcello and a prospect. Smyly is very similar to Travis Wood.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Tigers could use some bullpen help. Package Russell and Feldman for Drew Smyly, Rick Porcello and a prospect. Smyly is very similar to Travis Wood.
Drew Smyly's ceiling is way, way higher than Travis Wood's. I would love to add Smyly in any deal, and if they could roll the dice on Porcello too that would be a huge win.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

Still can't figure out how you consistantly believe that the Cubs players are going to net the impossible.

:dilfer:

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm OK with Russell not being traded, but it wouldn't matter to much if they do ship him out. Guys who will move- Feldmen, Dejesus, Gregg. Garza, and Sori are on the fence.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
both Ken Rosenthal and Jon Heyman have heard that the Padres are interested in Garza. That’s not the only team interested, though, obviously. Rosenthal adds the Dodgers, and Heyman adds the Giants.
Jayson Stark reports that extension talks between the Cubs and Garza, if and when they ever existed, haven’t been productive, as Garza wants a “bigger, lengthier” deal than the Cubs are comfortable with, according to Stark. I think you’d find very little disagreement that keep Garza on a three-year, $35 to $40 million deal would be the best possible move. But if Garza wants to take his chances to get more – could you blame him? – the Cubs are going to have to try and maximize his value before the Trade Deadline. The possibility of a compensatory pick isn’t really all that attractive, despite what the recent Draft-induced high might have done to your sense of relative value.
Speaking of Garza and an extension, Cubs GM Jed Hoyer ain’t talkin’. “[Garza is] a big part of this team right now, and throwing the ball well,” Hoyer told the media, including Carrie Muskat. “I’m happy for Matt that he feels as good as he does about how he’s pitching, and how he’s feeling. We’re not going to discuss whether we’re talking about an extension or trade.”

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I could care less who posted the message. I either agree or disagree, and I will state it to anyone regardless of who they are. It is an opinion board, and SilenceS is right on this in my opinion.

I am not going to agree with an isolated incident that has happened in favor for the Cubs and let it sway my opinion when they have not done well in the vast majority of the other deals to date. You know what they have done trade-wise, so I don't need to list them.

When the brass starts getting a GREAT track record of dealing players and getting > talent in return (like the Cardinals) than they gave, then I will swing the other way.