Cubs trade Rumors Thread

patg006

Liked Posts:
The Tigers could use some bullpen help. Package Russell and Feldman for Drew Smyly, Rick Porcello and a prospect. Smyly is very similar to Travis Wood.

A nice idea, just dont think it works out. Cant see the Tigers wanting Feldman after his shit fest in the AL post 17 win season. Russell for Smyly would be a wash. I'd resign Russell. I'd give him 4-5 years, maybe incentive laiden.

Giants want Feldman I hear.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@BleacherNationRT @georgeofman: If Garza pitches well today, don't be shocked if he's traded over the weekend. Rangers really want him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Martin Perez and more needs to be on the table if the Rangers want him so badly.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Martin Perez and more needs to be on the table if the Rangers want him so badly.

Il take Perez and Olt. I know Olt struggled a bit this season but heard he fixed issue with Eyes. Like to see him get shot in LF

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Il take Perez and Olt. I know Olt struggled a bit this season but heard he fixed issue with Eyes. Like to see him get shot in LF

I wouldn't be heart broken at that deal and everyone should be excited given the win now mandate that many have. The draft with a focus on college players and a trade focused on nettng the most players within a year of helping should signal everyone the intent to compete sooner than later.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure how trading a proven top of the rotation type starter for two lottery tickets fits into a win now mandate.*

* = 100% baseball related content.

Trading for highest ceiling versus impact in 2014 and beyond is what I was getting at? But I know only proven major league talent is worth trading for according to you.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Trading for highest ceiling versus impact in 2014 and beyond is what I was getting at? But I know only proven major league talent is worth trading for according to you.

Nope, not even close to what I have said. Not that you aren't trying to take personal shots at me or anything of course and keeping the discussion all baseball related.

Trading a top of the rotation type starter who will most likely still have more impact in 2014 and beyond than two lottery tickets who can easily bust out and never have an impact at the major league level is not consistent with a win now mandate.

It is consistent with the prospect loving, take one step forward and three steps back and hope to hit the jackpot on a lottery ticket mandate*

* = the last two paragraphs being 100% baseball related content.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope, not even close to what I have said. Not that you aren't trying to take personal shots at me or anything of course and keeping the discussion all baseball related.
Trading a top of the rotation type starter who will most likely still have more impact in 2014 and beyond than two lottery tickets who can easily bust out and never have an impact at the major league level is not consistent with a win now mandate.

It is consistent with the prospect loving, take one step forward and three steps back and hope to hit the jackpot on a lottery ticket mandate*

* = the last two paragraphs being 100% baseball related content.
Want to spoil the good baseball conversations we have had the past week?

It is pretty clear the Cubs are trying to trade for more talent that is ready for 2014 as opposed to taking highest ceiling like the 2012 season. You want to turn this dicussion into something else which is sad, but the point remains that there has never been a move at the expense of the present for the future that you have approved of? Is that you general position on everything or am I missing something.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Want to spoil the good baseball conversations we have had the past week?

You started the personal shots, not me. Perhaps you should be the one addressing the question and not making up things and applying them as my point of view.

Not a very productive way to further a baseball discussion.

It is pretty clear the Cubs are trying to trade for more talent that is ready for 2014 as opposed to taking highest ceiling like the 2012 season.

Still not a win now mandate.

A win now mandate would sign proven major league FA's in the offseason.*

You want to turn this dicussion into something else which is sad,

I refer again to the first paragraph. Not that you are trying to take personal shots at me or anything.

but the point remains that there has never been a move at the expense of the present for the future that you have approved of? Is that you general position on everything or am I missing something.

My general position is that trading proven major league players for prospects probably works out at least 90% of the time that the team taking on the prospects ends up with the worst of it.

Not sure how taking one step forward and three steps back moves you in the right direction.*

* = sections 2 and 4 are 100% baseball related content.

Last edited:

bay area bears

Liked Posts:
My general position is that trading proven major league players for prospects probably works out at least 90% of the time that the team taking on the prospects ends up with the worst of it.

is that you Hendry?

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs can get Olt and Perez for half a season of Garza, I'd be ecstatic. I'm in the camp that would prefer to keep Garza, but I think he wants an extension, and much more than the FO would be willing to give up when the team is not contending. So if a team like Texas is willing to give that to him and give us their #2 and #6 prospect for him, I'd be down. If they were prospects in A ball, I'd so no way, but these two are are AAA/ML players at this point. So we're talking about adding young guys with upside to the current core. Again, would rather keep Garza. But if he has to go, that would be a pretty nice haul.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs can get Olt and Perez for half a season of Garza, I'd be ecstatic. I'm in the camp that would prefer to keep Garza, but I think he wants an extension, and much more than the FO would be willing to give up when the team is not contending. So if a team like Texas is willing to give that to him and give us their #2 and #6 prospect for him, I'd be down. If they were prospects in A ball, I'd so no way, but these two are are AAA/ML players at this point. So we're talking about adding young guys with upside to the current core. Again, would rather keep Garza. But if he has to go, that would be a pretty nice haul.

Um not Olt! God, not Olt especially that we drafted Bryant

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also Olt can play OF if needed. Dont decline best players in trade cause team dont need that position. Team like Cubs need every position. You can move guys around

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Also Olt can play OF if needed. Dont decline best players in trade cause team dont need that position. Team like Cubs need every position. You can move guys around

Like D3A is referring to, it's never a bad thing to have too many good players at one position.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
he Braves are "among the many teams expected to show interest in Cubs closer Kevin Gregg," writes MLB.com's Mark Bowman. Bowman notes that the righty closed for current Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez when both were with the Marlins in 2007-08. Gregg is just one of many relievers the Braves may be looking at as they pursue veteran help with Eric O'Flaherty and Jonny Venters out for the season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Um, couple of things I think people are highly missing.

1. Bryant is going to get every chance to play third.

2. The Cubs deepest position in the minors is Of by far.

3. Has anyone actually looked at Mike Olts stats or just going by a name.

This year:
.214 AVG
.305 OBP
9 Homers
.738 OPS
63 K's in a 173 AB's for a whoppin 36.4% strikeout rate.

Add onto that he will be 25 years old in August and ummmmmm Illl pass.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Um, couple of things I think people are highly missing.

1. Bryant is going to get every chance to play third.

2. The Cubs deepest position in the minors is Of by far.

3. Has anyone actually looked at Mike Olts stats or just going by a name.

This year:
.214 AVG
.305 OBP
9 Homers
.738 OPS
63 K's in a 173 AB's for a whoppin 36.4% strikeout rate.

Add onto that he will be 25 years old in August and ummmmmm Illl pass.

Alot of that was done before they found out he had some eye problems. He has been better of late i believe. Il go check out his monthly stats