Cubs trade Rumors Thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Matt Garza Rumors: Friday
By Steve Adams [June 28, 2013 at 1:45pm CST]
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported last night that the Nationals, Dodgers, Phillies, Orioles and Blue Jays were scouting Matt Garza in his dominant performance over the Brewers yesterday. Garza fired seven innings of one-run ball, allowing eight hits and a walk to go along with 10 strikeouts. He figures to be one of the most popular names on the trade market this summer. Here's the latest on the 29-year-old Garza...

There's "heavy traffic" on Garza, who should be dealt well in advance of the July 31 non-waiver deadline, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (on Twitter).
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports writes that the Dodgers, Orioles, Giants, Padres, and Rangers all have "varying degrees of interest" in Garza. He adds that the Blue Jays and Red Sox are also seen as possibilities.
Rosenthal tweets that the Rangers were also on hand to scout Garza for yesterday's start against the Brewers.
Earlier today, Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reported that the Rockies are among the teams that are interested in Garza.

Rays Colored Glasses sees Tampa Bay as a sleeper destination for Matt Garza.

By Steve Adams [June 28 at 12:49pm CST]
The Rockies are on the lookout for pitching help, and Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes that the team is "aggressively scouting" right-handers Yovani Gallardo and Matt Garza. The Rox are also "taking a look" at Kevin Gregg, writes Saunders.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
according to Ken Rosenthal’s sources. They tell him that the Diamondbacks aren’t interested in a two-month rental pitcher, and instead would want to acquire a longer term piece like Yovani Gallardo or Samardzija. Rosenthal says the Cubs and Diamondbacks have not spoken, but he was told that it would take an “overwhelming” package to land Samardzija. Folks around baseball know that the price would be so extreme that one source told Rosenthal that the Cubs haven’t even received any “hits” on Samardzija.

The price cannot be understated. The Chicago Cubs need Jeff Samardzija as much as – or more than – virtually every other team in baseball. The organization likely would prefer to be not terrible in 2014 if at all possible, and Samardzija is the best starting pitcher the Cubs have under contract for the next two years. There are no studly arms waiting in the wings to replace him, and his departure could wreck the rotation.

So, yes, the Cubs would have to be overwhelmed to consider moving Samardzija. That is not to say they wouldn’t consider it, as they would consider trading anyone. Moving Samardzija could be a franchise-changing move, adding multiple elite talents – from the Diamondbacks, you’d want the conversation to start with top tier pitching prospects like Archie Bradley and Tyler Skaggs, each of whom have the potential to be Samardzijas in their own right – all in one move. The Cubs could actually improve in 2014 (and beyond) by dealing Samardzija.

… if they hit on the prospects they acquire. That’s obviously the persistent risk with trading someone like Samardzija, who is young enough and under control enough to help the Cubs when they actually expect to be good. In that way, dealing Samardzija stands in stark contrast to trading an expiring contract for a player that might not be willing to re-sign at a reasonable rate (which, for example, is possibly the case with Matt Garza). It is a huge risk that the Cubs will consider, but that I have trouble seeing them pulling the trigger on.

It’s worth pointing out, though, that if the Cubs did decide to shop Samardzija, they wouldn’t be speaking only to the Diamondbacks. There would be something of a serious bidding war

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Good point. You know me, always jumping the gun on things.*

* = 100% blue bubblegum free content

Just think how fast the Cubs will be competing if they trade Garza and Shark away like I said they should do? Shark would net great pro-ready players/pitchers, and Garza could be sent back to Tampa for Archer. Don't be shocked if it happens.

What's the point of extending these guys if the Cubs aren't going to fork out money to become competitive? Might as well save all the extension money that could be used later to net an ACE or top tier pitching if/when available and the youngsters are closer to the majors, plus the system would be overall PHAT with talent.

Lox.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Olney reports that Arizona had brief discussions with the Cubs regarding Samardzija. When the Cubs inquired into the availability of top Dbacks prospects Archie Bradley and Tyler Skaggs, however, the clubs ceased their talks. Nevertheless, Olney says that others in baseball do not believe that Skaggs is untouchable.

Meanwhile, the trade value of Cubs starter Matt Garza is undeniably trending up as the pitcher demonstrates that he is healthy and capable. Olney says a Garza trade is "expected soon" and, according to MLB executives, will likely return "more than the value of a first-round draft pick" to Chicago.
It is worth bearing in mind the Cubs' alternative strategic options. The team could decide to hold off on trading Garza, instead exploring a long-term extension with him. Should that not work out, Chicago could make him a qualifying offer. If he signed elsewhere in free agency, then, the Cubs would receive a compensatory first-round choice. Hence, the Cubs will likely be inclined to demand what they view as better value than such a pick in a mid-season trade.

I dont see samardzija getting moved unless they get exactly what they want.
something will happen after garza start tonight, either talks of an extension or some serious trade offers will start to come about

If the cubs are seriously looking to deal him, i dont see them waiting to much longer, risking an injury or a couple of bad starts.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How can this be?? Many people have fallen over themselves about how great Arodys Vizcaino is going to be.*

* = 100% baseball related content
Who has said that?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Who has said that?

Multiple people. Don't try and pretend that there isn't a significant amount of prospect worship that occurs around here. You read the threads. You know it has been said. I am not going to identify the specific posters as I don't want to be accused of personally attacking anyone. If you are really that interested, go back and read the threads for yourself.*

* = approximately 98.5% baseball related content

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've said glowing things about Vizcaino, but with the cavaet about health.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Multiple people. Don't try and pretend that there isn't a significant amount of prospect worship that occurs around here. You read the threads. You know it has been said. I am not going to identify the specific posters as I don't want to be accused of personally attacking anyone. If you are really that interested, go back and read the threads for yourself.*

I just don't recall anyone being so enamored with Viz that they have "fallen all over themselves" w/ how great he's going to be...He's got upside, if he stays healthy, and that's all I remember anyone saying. :shrug:

patg006

Liked Posts:

Many have touted the desire to build the farm, see it succeed, and wait to reap the benefits of future allstars with nothing to slow them down. You know them.

The other group lives in reality and negativity, where we know if 1 of these guys becomes an allstar, we are lucky sons of bitches as fans. You know them too.

I'm not trying to start the go-around again......

patg006

Liked Posts:
I just don't recall anyone being so enamored with Viz that they have "fallen all over themselves" w/ how great he's going to be...He's got upside, if he stays healthy, and that's all I remember anyone saying. :shrug:

Hint.

He boasted that he threw one clocked ever 101 mph pitch...