Cubs trade Rumors Thread

patg006

Liked Posts:
Soriano needs to be dealt.

His selfish, vigilante actions of jeopardizing another top pick is happening with last night's 3 for 5 with the winning HR as a result.

"My swing is there now," said Soriano, who entered the weekend series hitting just .195 in June. "My hand is quick. I feel young. My hand is part of my swing. If my hand is quick, I have a lot of things to do to help the team."

He is intentionally trying to derail the "rewarding journey" and needs to be stopped immediately...

:fap::fap::angryfinger::fap::fap:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
These are the best two options in my opinion. Buckel I'm a big fan of....

However, I feel the Rockies are dark horses...a lot of reports saying they're interested.

Rocks don't have a arm in the top 100. That should be mandatory in return for Garza.

What would make sense is for the Cubs to trade away as many people as they can that could fill up the farm the fastest. That would include Garza, Soriano, Dejesus, Feldman, Russell, and even Shark if the right package were presented.

I agree with you assessment. The shark part it would have to be 2 top 100 prospects or a pitcher with more control. Shoot the report of Tyler Skaggs and Archie Bradley would be a equal return IMO. It would have to hurt the other team to make the deal.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Soriano needs to be dealt.

His selfish, vigilante actions of jeopardizing another top pick is happening with last night's 3 for 5 with the winning HR as a result.

"My swing is there now," said Soriano, who entered the weekend series hitting just .195 in June. "My hand is quick. I feel young. My hand is part of my swing. If my hand is quick, I have a lot of things to do to help the team."

He is intentionally trying to derail the "rewarding journey" and needs to be stopped immediately...

:fap::fap::angryfinger::fap::fap:

phelps.jpg

Maybe a $30,000 bonus to Soriano is he's voted Least Valuable Player?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nick Cafardo (Boston Globe) on Cubs:

[h=2]Epstein has the pieces to make things happen[/h] Theo Epstein’s Cubs may be in the best position to make deals at the deadline, but it appears he is ready to strike with Matt Garza sooner rather than later.
Given the way Garza has pitched lately (two earned runs in his last 22 innings over three starts), it appears he will be dealt well ahead of the deadline, according to major league sources. The Orioles seem to be a very good fit, given that Garza is battle-tested in the AL East.
The Cubs were hoping to trade Garza by spring training, but then he suffered an oblique injury and couldn’t start the season on time. He had to go through rehab starts, and then go out and show he was healthy.
He’s shown that, and it might behoove the Cubs to deal him before there’s another setback.
One NL GM said, “There’s a lot of competition for him. I think Theo is getting inundated with calls for him, so he’s probably the hot name.”
Garza should bring the Cubs three players, including two top prospects.
Besides Garza, there’s been a lot of interest in Nate Schierholtz, who entered Saturday with a .284 average, 11 homers, 33 RBIs, and 19 doubles. Schierholtz also has played an excellent outfield. The Cubs signed Schierholtz to a one-year, $2.25 million deal last offseason, and it appears the flip price is going to work in their favor.
The Cubs also have veteran righthander Scott Feldman, whom they also plan to trade after signing him to a one-year, $6 million deal. Feldman is 7-6 with a 3.46 ERA. Look for the Orioles to be a bidder for his services. And there’s always Alfonso Soriano and David DeJesus, and out of the bullpen, Kevin Gregg and James Russell.
You don’t hear much about Soriano anymore, but he’s in the mix if someone wants him. The Cubs are hoping to get pitching prospects in these deals. While they appear to be set for good positional players in the minors, they lack pitching depth, and that’s where Epstein would like to score a bonanza with his veteran players.

[h=2]Apropos of nothing[/h] 1. Ryan Sweeney has hit four homers for the Cubs.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I bet Garza makes his next Cub start :shifty:

Where he goes 3 and 1/3, throws 83 pitches, gives up 7 runs, and tears his rotator cuff?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I agree with you assessment. The shark part it would have to be 2 top 100 prospects or a pitcher with more control. Shoot the report of Tyler Skaggs and Archie Bradley would be a equal return IMO. It would have to hurt the other team to make the deal.

If they decide to trade Shark,, they better get a hell of a lot more than just 2 top 100 prospects.

I don't even think both Skaggs and Bradley would be enough as it would take both Skaggs and Bradley reaching their potential for the Cubs to come out ahead and the odds of that aren't very good at all. Even one of them reaching their potential would be a long shot and that just breaks even on the deal.

I am resigned to the fact that Garza will get traded. He doesn't seem interested in an extension and probably is smart enough to get out of this train wreck.*

* = 100% baseball related content

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If they decide to trade Shark,, they better get a hell of a lot more than just 2 top 100 prospects.

I don't even think both Skaggs and Bradley would be enough as it would take both Skaggs and Bradley reaching their potential for the Cubs to come out ahead and the odds of that aren't very good at all. Even one of them reaching their potential would be a long shot and that just breaks even on the deal.

I am resigned to the fact that Garza will get traded. He doesn't seem interested in an extension and probably is smart enough to get out of this train wreck.*

I think he'd love to get extended....for an above-market price. :shrug:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he'd love to get extended....for an above-market price. :shrug:

I'm not sure it is above market given the names that are going to be on the free agent market with him. Is it more than he is likely to be worth in the next four to five years is probably the more apt question? Again I've been on the resign Garza bandwagon for a long time, but if he is looking for more money than say Anibal Sanchez than I understand the reluctance of the FO to resign him.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I think Skaggs and Bradley would be a great start though. Let someone else roll the dice with Shark. Let's face it, I know he would be great to extend if the Cubs were on the cusp of competing, but they aren't.

You know there has to be more Anibal Sanchez's out there for 16 million a year or whomever when the time comes. Spot fill the rotation around Wood and Jackson, and pick up the short term guys that will float you until the young pitching comes to fruition and Jackson's contract wears down.

It would be nice to find another Shark (or more) in the system like a lot of teams have that are under control for 6 years once they hit the bigs like in Oakland, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Tampa, Washington, Atlanta, and a host of other cities.

Until the Cubs have this, stay the course and beef up the farm with power arms and pitching however they have to do it.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I think Skaggs and Bradley would be a great start though. Let someone else roll the dice with Shark. Let's face it, I know he would be great to extend if the Cubs were on the cusp of competing, but they aren't.

You know there has to be more Anibal Sanchez's out there for 16 million a year or whomever when the time comes. Spot fill the rotation around Wood and Jackson, and pick up the short term guys that will float you until the young pitching comes to fruition and Jackson's contract wears down.

It would be nice to find another Shark (or more) in the system like a lot of teams have that are under control for 6 years once they hit the bigs like in Oakland, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Tampa, Washington, Atlanta, and a host of other cities.

Until the Cubs have this, stay the course and beef up the farm with power arms and pitching however they have to do it.

Not saying Shark should be "untouchable" but if Garza and Shark both leave the building this team is set back further, and soon we'll be looking at 2018 and beyond. Teams likely are not going to give us 2 top arms. I cant see Orioles parting with Gausman and Bundy both for Shark......nor Bradley and Skaggs. I see them offering one tops, and likely the one they are more likely to depart with. I agree with the consensus started by KB Shark is worth more.

Dude is 28 and pitching like a workhorse should be, I would resign him. Now if Pierce Johnson or (other top arm I dont know in cubs system...) is ready and looks the part, I can see it.

Chris Rusin and..........nobody else looks passable in AAA.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
but if he is looking for more money than say Anibal Sanchez than I understand the reluctance of the FO to resign him.

I don't.

Paying 'over market value' is the price it takes to land the top talent especially in the new age of massive local media deals.

Many are still whining and apologizing about how the Rangers 'overpaid' for Darvish. Well, Darvish is now a stud and true Ace.

Many thought the Dodgers 'overpaid' to sign Puig. Well, he has had probably the best first three weeks a player has had in the last 100 years.

Like it or not, the Cubs are so bad right now they will have to probably seriously overpay to attract or keep top talent like Garza.

If what most people think will happen at the trade deadline and the Cubs deal Garza, Gregg, Scheirholz, and say Dejesus and Soriano, what does that leave the team with??

A massive heap of garbage.

If the above happens, there is no way in hell that anyone can realistically say the major league team is close to as good as it was at the end of 2011.

So that will leave the Cubs two years into this rewarding journey and the minor league system will be marginally better but the major league team will be in far, far, far worse shape.

One step forward, three steps back.

Trading away Garza is a sure sign that the organization is all in on the minor league system and the franchise will sink or swim for the next decade on the hopes that several lottery tickets hit it big.*

* = 100% baseball related content.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Well if the Cubs do end up trading both Garza and Shark, they would have traded away the best three power arms in the organization in the last two years.

Cashner, Garza and Shark. Looks like best case scenario is that 'only' two of the top three power arms will be gone with no one waiting to step in.

I am still not sold that the Cubs won the Cashner trade. Dude has been pitching very, very, very solidly and seems to be having the breakthrough type season that Shark had last year.*

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If what most people think will happen at the trade deadline and the Cubs deal Garza, Gregg, Scheirholz, and say Dejesus and Soriano, what does that leave the team with??
Plenty of roster space to sign more FA's to tradeable contracts like Scheirholz and DeJesus should they perform well in the first half of the season.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
If Theo can really get two top end prospects, one of them Archie friggin Bradley, for Shark, see you later Jeff.

If some team pays the price of two high end pitching prospects for Garza, so long Matt.

If you can take two pitchers and pony them up for four, you do it in the Cubs condition, no questions asked. These names being thrown around are insane tho, cant think for the life of me the O's would give up on Gaus AND Bundy for Garza even with Bundys arm problems.

High pick next year to go along with fresh arms from the end result of trading away all the glut going nowhere, its great to be a Cubs fan right now and in the future.

CHAMPS!!!

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Well if the Cubs do end up trading both Garza and Shark, they would have traded away the best three power arms in the organization in the last two years.

Cashner, Garza and Shark. Looks like best case scenario is that 'only' two of the top three power arms will be gone with no one waiting to step in.

I am still not sold that the Cubs won the Cashner trade. Dude has been pitching very, very, very solidly and seems to be having the breakthrough type season that Shark had last year.*

Oh I agree. Being reluctant to put any players around them however is the problem, and it doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. Sure I'm frustrated, but if this is the route they are going to take.........go all in and stock the farm. Don't pussyfoot around.

I don't want Shark busting his hump on a subpar team. What good does that do? Now if the plans are to start purchasing some of the better free agents to go around Shark and start this train going forward, then I say extend him.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Plenty of roster space to sign more FA's to tradeable contracts like Scheirholz and DeJesus should they perform well in the first half of the season.

And that improves the major league roster how?

It doesn't.

All that does is continue the cycle of flipping major league players for lottery tickets like a small market team hoping to get lucky.*