Cubs vs. O's IST

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Defeated? Lol. Your case was blown ... by the results and you're still clinging to a silly notion that the AL blowing away the NL over the course of Interleague play is some indication that the NL has an advantage, even as visitors. That's just not defendable. You have provided ZERO evidence. You're channeling your inner Sparrow today.

I provided the different lineups and who gets an advantage, disadvantage, or stays the same. That's not evidence, that's hard core proof.
You provided records of IL play/AS Play and WS Play IIRC. All which have a ton of factors going into the reasons why things happen. Ir did nothing to show that the AL and NL weren't at different competitive advantages. All it showed was the AL dominance. Your won evidence did nothing for the topic at hand.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You haven't provided any lineups since this discussion started. You keep discussing payroll. I keep discussing the players results. The game isn't played on paper. It's played on the field.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Entering play Monday -- there had been 13 Interleague games played in AL ballparks -- American League DHs were hitting .340 (17-for-50) with two home runs and 12 RBIs. The DHs on NL squads had combined to hit .216 (11-for-51) with five RBIs and had yet to homer.

In 2012, AL DHs hit .253 with 18 homers during Interleague Play, compared to a .234 average and 16 long balls hit by NL designated hitters. That's not much of a difference, but as Sveum noted, AL teams employ players specifically for the DH role.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

No one argues that the AL DH should be better than the NL DH. No one. If you could keep up, the argument is what team, not what player or one position or the #3/4 in a lineup has an edge. :obama:

Oh and from same article, your position about NL not being a tougher league to manage-
"As far as managing, of course, with the American League with the DH, it eliminates so much strategy," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "You really just sit there and try to figure out when you are going to take your pitchers in and out. In the National League, there is so much going on all the time."
I said it was a myth that it was harder. You keep Redmond. I'll take HOF Tony LaRussa.

More on the DH advantage at AL home parks-
Quote Originally Posted by WSJ
Over more than 15 years of interleague baseball, the American League has had a bigger home-field advantage than the National League. A key reason may be the designated hitter.
"The bench guy in the National League is not a premier guy," said Manny Acta, an ESPN baseball analyst who formerly managed teams in both leagues. "He can't compete with the DH in the American League."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-t...-dh-1405704990

That quote does not talk team to team, just one position. Sorry Manny, compare the teams together on who gets an extra or loses an extra as compared to their everyday non IL lineups/rosters.

Fangraph's with an article built around Leyland's comments-
Quote Originally Posted by FG
Playing by different sets of rules is not inherently unfair, just as playing in different ballparks is not inherently unfair, as long as each team faces the same number of games outside of its comfort zone. A team can be built to take advantage of its home ballpark just as well as a team can be built to take advantage of the DH.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/leyla...ir-with-no-dh/

not Inherently fair=/= not fair. :obama: The AL team uses money on a DH, the NL team uses it on anything but a DH that the AL team cannot do because of the DH. Thus the NL team gets an advantage in the AL parks by using someone that is not a pitcher in their lineup. And the AL suffers in the NL parks by losing someone they've invested in with their DH. The other two outcomes are neutral.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You haven't provided any lineups since this discussion started. You keep discussing payroll. I keep discussing the players results. The game isn't played on paper. It's played on the field.

I did too. the NL has an 8 batter lineup while the AL has 9. The NL uses a pitcher as it's 9th man while the AL uses the DH. The AL loses it's DH while the NL team loses it's pitcher. See, this is where I think your bi-polar comes in. I think you're ready for another false statement against me trolling again.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I did too. the NL has an 8 batter lineup while the AL has 9. The NL uses a pitcher as it's 9th man while the AL uses the DH. The AL loses it's DH while the NL team loses it's pitcher. See, this is where I think your bi-polar comes in. I think you're ready for another false statement against me trolling again.
That isn't a "lineup".

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And your comment about the DH being a disadvantage in both parks is complete bunk. The people actually involved in the game disagree with you.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
not Inherently fair=/= not fair. :obama: The AL team uses money on a DH, the NL team uses it on anything but a DH that the AL team cannot do because of the DH. Thus the NL team gets an advantage in the AL parks by using someone that is not a pitcher in their lineup. And the AL suffers in the NL parks by losing someone they've invested in with their DH. The other two outcomes are neutral.
This is 100% bogus. Any team can allot resources however they see fit. There is essentially no salary cap in pro baseball as the Yankees are the only team who is willing to spend so much that they would hit the luxury tax. I can show you where Youkilis was against interleague play because Boston sucked ass for 4 straight games. The preponderance of evidence suggests that neither league has an advantage over the other.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And your comment about the DH being a disadvantage in both parks is complete bunk. The people actually involved in the game disagree with you.

When did I say the DH is a disadvantage in either park? You trying out for The Wizard of Oz or something?

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Come on, Parade... this guy can't be reasoned with... don't waste your time on him.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This is 100% bogus. Any team can allot resources however they see fit. There is no salary cap in pro baseball. I can show you where Youkilis was against interleague play because Boston sucked ass for 4 straight games. The preponderance of evidence suggests that neither league has an advantage over the other.

They can spend the dollars anyway they want. Any team can for the exact reason you speak of, no salary cap.

It has nothing to do with the argument of a team gaining a competitive advantage by changes in rules, but you are absolutely right no cap and teams can spend as they choose.

Now I'm thinking all you have left is to troll.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Define "lineup" then since you dislike mine.
I would define it with the last names of players 1-9 as I would hand it to the umpires prior to the game. That's what a lineup is.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I would define it with the last names of players 1-9 as I would hand it to the umpires prior to the game. That's what a lineup is.
Define it without a specific team just a league since that is what is on topic

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is 100% bogus. Any team can allot resources however they see fit. There is essentially no salary cap in pro baseball as the Yankees are the only team who is willing to spend so much that they would hit the luxury tax. I can show you where Youkilis was against interleague play because Boston sucked ass for 4 straight games. The preponderance of evidence suggests that neither league has an advantage over the other.

Actually, the Dodgers have a higher payroll this year. I was quite surprised to see that the Yankees werent number 1 this year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Actually, the Dodgers have a higher payroll this year. I was quite surprised to see that the Yankees werent number 1 this year.

Now that George has passed on I think the Yankees will be a bit more frugal, if that word fits with the Yankees. :D

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Now the luxury tax is in place and toning down the Yankees spending. That was the main reason they didn't make a serious run at Castillo

Status
Not open for further replies.