David DeJesus traded to Nationals for PTBNL

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The trade was kinda of a surprise. I'm guessing they really like Brian Bogusevic.

But With David Dejesus: .250/.330/.401 He was meh at best as a lead off. 3 SB. 4th OF at best.

I'm just hoping that is a preclude to a F/A signing in the off season.
On Szczur: He has not played an inning at AAA. I doubt they will have him skip a year.

AAA nothing worth a damn.
Lake maybe in CF.

Jacoby Ellsbury: .296/.356/.424 44 SB. LH bat. leading the league in SB and 3B. Ya I could see an investment here. They need a legit lead off and he would fit the bill.

I do believe they need a better option for a 4 hitter on top of this. But I expect Bryant and Baez to be in the mix by June. Olt and Lake could give some RH hitting until then.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the trade of dejesus could also mean a faster rise for bryant and baez as one is assured to be in LF at some point next year with the other taking an IF spot (3B, maybe baez plays 2B if OLT takes over 3B )..

this could also mean that schierholtz will most likely be brought back next year for RF.

Lake will get to finish the year in CF, unless they bring up sczur and bogusevic will most likely take over LF.

they will definitely make an attempt at ellsbury this off season

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Olt isn't going to be playing anywhere at the MLB level if he can't figure out what's going on with the stick.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Now we have to watch Bogusevic play more...... Blah. Have we even got the player for Hairston yet? Maybe they can just give us Zimemrmann for both.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The trade was kinda of a surprise. I'm guessing they really like Brian Bogusevic.

But With David Dejesus: .250/.330/.401 He was meh at best as a lead off. 3 SB. 4th OF at best.

I'm just hoping that is a preclude to a F/A signing in the off season.
On Szczur: He has not played an inning at AAA. I doubt they will have him skip a year.

AAA nothing worth a damn.
Lake maybe in CF.

Jacoby Ellsbury: .296/.356/.424 44 SB. LH bat. leading the league in SB and 3B. Ya I could see an investment here. They need a legit lead off and he would fit the bill.

I do believe they need a better option for a 4 hitter on top of this. But I expect Bryant and Baez to be in the mix by June. Olt and Lake could give some RH hitting until then.

Szczur has been in AA for awhile and has proven to be a good bat there. AA is a bigger development league then AAA. He is a guarantee on anything, but I could see them not making him play much in AAA and let him see if he can win the job. There are a lot of options. This is just one.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Patrick Mooney @CSNMooney

Hoyer signals Cubs will try to re-sign DeJesus this winter. Everyone says that after trades, but both sides sound interested in that idea.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Patrick Mooney @CSNMooney

DeJesus tells Chicago media: "Stay on my wife's Twitter!"

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well I mean the Cubs paid $8M for an outfielder for rebuilding years...

But don't worry guys they save $2.5M.:obama:

"SPEND MONEY ON FREE AGENTS!!! :hitler:"

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
"SPEND MONEY ON FREE AGENTS!!! :hitler:"

Actually if read my post....

I argue that the Cubs never should have signed DeJesus. It was a waste of money on their part.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well it was. $8M for not much more than replacement level play on a rebuilding club.

I digress.

I was laughing at what you said not the Dejesus thing. He wasn't a bad player for us, but he also wasn't a player that I cared about. He is a solid vet. I rather see young kids play then him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LF: Lake AAA: no talent. AA: No top 20 prospect, A+ no top prospect etc
CF: AAA nothing, AA Szczur, A+ nothing, A Almora
RF: Schierholtz (temp solution), AAA nothing, AA nothing, A+ Soler on DL

They could sign Jacoby and be fine.

2014:
AAA: Baez and Szczur.
AA: Bryant and Soler
A+: Almora.

Those are the potentials.

I believe it should be delt as if there is a open spot plug him in there.

So Lake can cover LF, CF, 3B, and 2B. Don't believe he is a upg at SS.

I'd plug him in at 3B next year. Olt is just not hitting to justify it. With Iowa: .115/.181/.230 Alcantra should be ready by Aug with Baez. Bryant is a maybe with a 2 league jump. Same with Soler.

So something like:

Jacoby CF
Lake 3B
Rizzo 1B
leave this open for now.
Schierholtz RF (until July)
Castro SS
Castillo C
Barney 2B

In June I would promote Baez. Ideal spot is LF at this point. 2B as a 2nd option. (Bryant promoted to AAA at this point)
Aug I would promote Alcantra which takes up 2B opening up Barney for a trade.
Sept Promote up Bryant.

I bet that they hope that Olt bounces back but I wouldn't bank on it.

To be honest I'd offer a 1 year deal to Cruz and trade him off by the deadline. They are going to need a #4 hitter until Bryant and Baez get promoted.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The Nats are trying to make that run for the second wild card spot. Still an interesting move.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Standing O for DeJesus.

Wut.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
The trade likley was used to open up a spot heading into spring training next year if Bryant, or Olt do earn a spot. Then they could move Lake to CF and allow Baez to stick at 3B. I hope they get a new 2B whether it be Baez, Alcantra, a FA, or me.

I wouldn't be shocked if Schierholtz is in a Cubs uni for a few more years. He has had a great year and if we don't make a move in FA will be our best option moving forward. We can't assume every one of our top prospects are going to be All-Star caliber players. Not all of them will be ML worthy or at least make it up as a Cub.

Also could be possible the Cubs liked the choices they got as PTBNL

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Im fine with this. This leaves the door open for Szczur to try to win the spot. They also could move Lake there and sign Nelson Cruz for left. Or maybe sign Ellsbury in the offseason which I wouldn't be in favor of. It starts to give options for some of the minor leaguers to get playing time. We know what Dejesus brings. We don't know what some of them can bring.

Ellsbury is not much of a hitter and stinks defensively. Other than that, he's great.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Actually if read my post....

I argue that the Cubs never should have signed DeJesus. It was a waste of money on their part.

If they traded him for Babe Ruth in his prime, you would find a problem with it.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If they traded him for Babe Ruth in his prime, you would find a problem with it.

Not really, but considering that isn't possible, I found a picture of your home.

images

I know people love to rationalize every move the Cubs make, but signing DeJesus was absolutely pointless for the club and for people to gleam that the Cubs saved $2M by trading him are wrong for doing so, as they spent $8M for replacement level production on a non-contending team.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know people love to rationalize every move the Cubs make, but signing DeJesus was absolutely pointless for the club and for people to gleam that the Cubs saved $2M by trading him are wrong for doing so, as they spent $8M for replacement level production on a non-contending team.

What move would you have preferred?

/Pandora's Box