David DeJesus traded to Nationals for PTBNL

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
cubs trade was for a PTBNL which could more then likely be the guy the nationals received from the rays..

nationals didnt really want dejesus, so im sure they may end up just shipping that pitcher to the cubs over sending them someone from their system.

WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG, Your WRONG
Cub are not gettinga PTBNL reported by many outlets. They got the min amount of cash in a waiver claim deal. Theo got schooled

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cub are not gettinga PTBNL reported by many outlets. They got the min amount of cash in a waiver claim deal. Theo got schooled

Lol truly schooled. He missed out on a nobody. But he got schooled.

what the on tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Cash or random guy who will never be a factor at the major league level anyway... damn I feel like I'm gonna get schooled.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cash or random guy who will never be a factor at the major league level anyway... damn I feel like I'm gonna get schooled.

Time out. How do you never know that the prospects with not factor at MLB level? According to you guys only way to to build team is through the prospects

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Time out. How do you never know that the prospects with not factor at MLB level? According to you guys only way to to build team is through the prospects

You do understand that the Cubs had the choice of basically either just keeping DeJesus or trading him to the Nationals. What the Nationals got for DeJesus from the Rays is irrelevant since the Cubs never had the option of dealing DeJesus to the Rays.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do understand that the Cubs had the choice of basically either just keeping DeJesus or trading him to the Nationals. What the Nationals got for DeJesus from the Rays is irrelevant since the Cubs never had the option of dealing DeJesus to the Rays.

Yes i do. What i dont get is why didnt they deal him before the deadline. Cant tell me a team didnt want to give Cubs a low level minor leaguer on 31st of July. Then just 2 weeks later you let him go to save 2.5 mil and get nothing back.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes i do. What i dont get is why didnt they deal him before the deadline. Cant tell me a team didnt want to give Cubs a low level minor leaguer on 31st of July. Then just 2 weeks later you let him go to save 2.5 mil and get nothing back.

Could it be that teams were waiting to see if he was healthy since he didn't play from June 14-July 24? The last part is exactly what I am telling you. If any team was giving up something of value for DeJesus it would have happened before the deadline. Unfortunately, DeJesus got hurt at the worst possible time for the Cubs to maximize value.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could it be that teams were waiting to see if he was healthy since he didn't play from June 14-July 24? The last part is exactly what I am telling you. If any team was giving up something of value for DeJesus it would have happened before the deadline. Unfortunately, DeJesus got hurt at the worst possible time for the Cubs to maximize value.

He played well for that week when he came back. Hard time believing teams needed another 2 weeks to see him. Everyone knows what DeJesus is

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He played well for that week when he came back. Hard time believing teams needed another 2 weeks to see him. Everyone knows what DeJesus is

And with every other move this front office has made which has involved paying salary to get better prospects back, you really think that the Cubs turned down prospects before the deadline to just let him go for salary relief a couple weeks later?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
And with every other move this front office has made which has involved paying salary to get better prospects back, you really think that the Cubs turned down prospects before the deadline to just let him go for salary relief a couple weeks later?

Very good point. :clap:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Like when they paid 3/4ths of Soriano's salary, and didn't even get a top 10 arm from the Yankees?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like when they paid 3/4ths of Soriano's salary, and didn't even get a top 10 arm from the Yankees?

Conveniently forgetting that the Cubs had a deal worked out with San Francisco last year that Soriano nixed. Soriano controlled where he went, and the Cubs paid more to get anything for him when everyone knew that Soriano would basically only go to the Yankees.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Conveniently forgetting that the Cubs had a deal worked out with San Francisco last year that Soriano nixed. Soriano controlled where he went, and the Cubs paid more to get anything for him when everyone knew that Soriano would basically only go to the Yankees.
Not Soriano's fault the team didn't understand his collectively bargained (or contractually obligated) rights?

Sometimes the best moves made, are the moves that aren't made. I'd rather have let the paper run out and then traded next deadline for a similar return.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not Soriano's fault the team didn't understand his collectively bargained (or contractually obligated) rights?
What on earth do you mean by this? Everyone knew that Soriano ultimately controlled where he went, but to sit there and say that the Cubs should have maximized their return on him without acknowledging that Soriano had an extremely limited number of teams he would go to, potentially only one, seems silly.

Sometimes the best moves made, are the moves that aren't made. I'd rather have let the paper run out and then traded next deadline for a similar return.
And this doesn't address the point that the Cubs have been willing throughout the tenure of this front office, really this has been something that RIcketts has done even when Hendry was here as well, they will pay salary to get a better return. The fact that they just got salary relief means two things to me. No team was desperate enough to gamble on DeJesus after a week off the DL, and then the Cubs had the choice of trading him for salary relief or declining an option next year if he wasn't worth it.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What on earth do you mean by this? Everyone knew that Soriano ultimately controlled where he went, but to sit there and say that the Cubs should have maximized their return on him without acknowledging that Soriano had an extremely limited number of teams he would go to, potentially only one, seems silly.

And this doesn't address the point that the Cubs have been willing throughout the tenure of this front office, really this has been something that RIcketts has done even when Hendry was here as well, they will pay salary to get a better return. The fact that they just got salary relief means two things to me. No team was desperate enough to gamble on DeJesus after a week off the DL, and then the Cubs had the choice of trading him for salary relief or declining an option next year if he wasn't worth it.

My point being, wouldn't have it been common sense to ask Soriano if he wanted to go someplace before approving the deal? At least it appeared management learned and handled situations better this season with Garza and Soriano (compared to Dempster and Soriano in 2012).

They paid 3/4ths of Soriano's salary and didn't get a top 10 arm in the system. That's a waste of a move. That wasn't paying salary to get a better return. 1 pitcher below the top 10 arms in one of the worst systems in baseball isn't a better return.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point being, wouldn't have it been common sense to ask Soriano if he wanted to go someplace before approving the deal? At least it appeared management learned and handled situations better this season with Garza and Soriano (compared to Dempster and Soriano in 2012).

They paid 3/4ths of Soriano's salary and didn't get a top 10 arm in the system. That's a waste of a move. That wasn't paying salary to get a better return. 1 pitcher below the top 10 arms in one of the worst systems in baseball isn't a better return.
I am not certain you realize what the word better means. It doesn't mean that the return was good. It means that the return was better than if they hadn't paid the salary. In this case it would have meant not making a deal at all. The point still remains that one thing this owner has been willing to do is authorize his GM to make deals where they pay salary to get a better return than if they didn't pay anything.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And the fact they got just salary relief on DeJesus is a joke. It's a bush league move to trade a player this late in the season to a non-contender, and not get anything besides $$$ back.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am not certain you realize what the word better means. It doesn't mean that the return was good. It means that the return was better than if they hadn't paid the salary. In this case it would have meant not making a deal at all. The point still remains that one thing this owner has been willing to do is authorize his GM to make deals where they pay salary to get a better return than if they didn't pay anything.

And again, I'd rather pay all of Soriano's salary with him on the Cubs than pay 3/4ths of it and not even get a top 10 arm in the system. If you want to call that better, fine, but I consider it a loss.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

For what it's worth, the cubs got Schierholtz for $2 mil last off season. So you're argument of hanging on to Dejesus to get a possibly prospect and not saving $2.5 mil is flimsy. Additionally, there's no guarantee Tampa even keeps Dejesus at which point the cubs might be able to sign him in the off season for less than the $6.5 mil he was set to make. An entirely realistic situation is the Rays let him walk and the cubs sign him for say $5 mil/year. That then means they are actually only paying him $2.5 mil next year with the savings they had this year. The same works for whomever they sign in the off season even if it's not dejesus.

The facts are what they got in return is fairly irrelevant because the money savings is what they wanted. To say they were "schooled" because they didn't get a low level prospect is a tad ridiculous. People act like saving money means nothing but between Soriano and this trade that's nearly $10 mil they can spend next year.