1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What move would you have preferred?

/Pandora's Box

I already said that I preferred to not sign DeJesus.

Since he was signed, I would have dealt him at the deadline last year, seeing as he served no purpose on this club besides filling salary, which we were told was filled to the max. If this team was built to compete, he'd be an OK guy to have around, alas it was built to be sold, and the return for him wasn't enough for me. I would have saved Tom $8M for a guy who didn't bring anything of significant worth to this team.

Yet, I've seen numerous fans on here and on twitter praise the move as it saves $2.5M, while ignoring the fact that DeJesus didn't bring anything of worth to a rebuilding and was just taking up budget space on a rebuilding team. $2.5M is only a drop in the bucket to a billionaire.

Like I said on WSD's page, I was pleased with the Feldman move, and I understood the Fujikawa move, even though he blew his arm out. Even guys as good as Theo can't predict those those things.

So as much as you guys think I hate every move the Cubs make, I don't. I'm just not going to excited about trading a guy that had no place on the team to begin with.

I really need to go back to school.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really, but considering that isn't possible, I found a picture of your home.

images

I know people love to rationalize every move the Cubs make, but signing DeJesus was absolutely pointless for the club and for people to gleam that the Cubs saved $2M by trading him are wrong for doing so, as they spent $8M for replacement level production on a non-contending team.

I don't think you are familar with what that term means. DeJesus was far from a world beater, but he was at worst an average major league hitter (which is vastly different than replacement level). He had an 104 OPS+ as a Cub. Again replacement level is AAAA guys. Just to drive the point home, he provided 3.4 WAR according to baseball reference and 3.1 WAR according to fangraphs. DeJesus wasn't a replacement level player.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think you are familar with what that term means. DeJesus was far from a world beater, but he was at worst an average major league hitter (which is vastly different than replacement level). He had an 104 OPS+ as a Cub. Again replacement level is AAAA guys. Just to drive the point home, he provided 3.4 WAR according to baseball reference and 3.1 WAR according to fangraphs. DeJesus wasn't a replacement level player.
I was familiar with it. Just wanted to :cubstroll2:.

I digress, I just want to make the point that the DeJesus signing served the Cubs no real purpose in the grand scheme of the things.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I already said that I preferred to not sign DeJesus.

Since he was signed, I would have dealt him at the deadline last year, seeing as he served no purpose on this club besides filling salary, which we were told was filled to the max. If this team was built to compete, he'd be an OK guy to have around, alas it was built to be sold, and the return for him wasn't enough for me. I would have saved Tom $8M for a guy who didn't bring anything of significant worth to this team.

Yet, I've seen numerous fans on here and on twitter praise the move as it saves $2.5M, while ignoring the fact that DeJesus didn't bring anything of worth to a rebuilding and was just taking up budget space on a rebuilding team. $2.5M is only a drop in the bucket to a billionaire.

Like I said on WSD's page, I was pleased with the Feldman move, and I understood the Fujikawa move, even though he blew his arm out. Even guys as good as Theo can't predict those those things.

So as much as you guys think I hate every move the Cubs make, I don't. I'm just not going to excited about trading a guy that had no place on the team to begin with.

I really need to go back to school.

Fair enough. I don't believe anyone "praised" saving the money, rather than just pointing out the fact that it did, but it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, his name was likely tossed around in trade circles last year, and it's safe to assume the Cubs didn't get the name(s) back they wanted...so they held him as a relatively cheap option. :shrug:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fair enough. I don't believe anyone "praised" saving the money, rather than just pointing out the fact that it did, but it doesn't really matter.
Which was my whole point :shrug:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Which was my whole point :shrug:

You're saying the player didn't really matter, I'm saying the argument didn't really matter. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

I'm asking you to do a bit of research, but my question was instead of DeJesus, who would you have rather the Cubs signed that offseason to play CF?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A few tweets I've dug for have actually said that the Nats put a claim in for DeJesus in order to block another team from getting him and the Cubs ended up dumping him on them.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
A few tweets I've dug for have actually said that the Nats put a claim in for DeJesus in order to block another team from getting him and the Cubs ended up dumping him on them.
So would that mean that they (the Cubs) would possibly be serious in their interest to resign him in the off-season for 2014?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Wouldn't that imply no PTBNL, or did we tell them we would and they agreed to give something up if we paid a little bit of his salary?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This move seems to lend some credence to my suggestion that the Cubs are going to go after Choo. Jacoby could be another guy but I think he will cost more and there's not much reason for the Cubs to out bid the Red Sox. I don't think this is a move to clear room for prospects. The facts are Soler and Almora are probably 2+ years away if they indeed make it. Bryant is a question on where he will play. Lake and Szczur might be up soonish but you could have them plus Scierholtz and Choo/Elsbury as your 4 OFs.

Honestly, I really hope they do go after Choo/Elsbury because assuming these guys will reach the majors in the next 2-3 years is a huge question mark. And if they do all make it you have too much talent. You then can consider moving for what appears to be a missing front line starter from the system.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The David DeJesus Trade: Reaction & Fallout
By Mark Polishuk [August 19, 2013 at 7:22pm CST]
An August trade between two sub-.500, non-contending teams that involves a legitimate Major League talent is something of a rarity, yet that's what the Nationals and Cubs accomplished this afternoon when David DeJesus was sent to Washington for a player to be named later. Here are some of the follow-up notes about the swap and some reaction...

Cubs GM Jed Hoyer spoke to reporters this afternoon (including Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago) and said that salary was the main factor in the trade. The trade will save the Cubs roughly $2.5MM -- the approximately $975K left on DeJesus' 2013 salary and the $1.5MM buyout on his club option for 2014 (the option costs $6.5MM if exercised).
Hoyer also noted that the Cubs would be interested in re-signing DeJesus if the Nats don't pick up the outfielder's option. As CSN Chicago's Patrick Mooney notes (via Twitter), there appears to be mutual interest from both sides in a DeJesus return to Wrigley Field.
Nationals GM Mike Rizzo also spoke to the media, telling reporters (including CSN Washington's Mark Zuckerman) that DeJesus was acquired to improve the Nats' left-handed bench depth and that the move was made with the 2013 season still in mind. "We're going to take this thing one game at a time," Rizzo said. "But I certainly haven't given up on this season, and I think that with the talent level that we have on this ballclub that we still have a run left in us." The Nationals entered today's action 15.5 games behind the Braves in the NL East and 9.5 games behind the Reds for the last NL wild card spot. According to Baseball Prospectus' playoff odds calculations, Washington has just a 1.2% chance of reaching the postseason.
Also from Zuckerman's piece, the Nats were interested in DeJesus before the July 31 trade deadline but couldn't work out a deal in time. This trade was worked out after the Cubs put DeJesus on waivers and the Nationals claimed him.
USA Today's Bob Nightengale (via Twitter) thinks DeJesus' $6.5MM option is too expensive for the Nats to pick up this winter. I don't agree with Nightengale -- despite what Rizzo says, the Nats have to be looking ahead to 2014. There would be no point in picking DeJesus up now just to let him walk in the offseason, unless Rizzo plans to flip DeJesus to a contender before the August 31 waiver trade deadline.
The lack of bench production has been one of the underrated reasons for the Nationals' disappointing performance this season, Amanda Comak of the Washington Times writes, and DeJesus' acquisition is a step towards fixing that problem.
Nationals manager Davey Johnson hinted to reporters (including MASNsports' Dan Kolko) that DeJesus might not receive much playing time over the rest of the season. The Nats already have Bryce Harper, Jayson Werth and Denard Span playing every day in the outfield and Johnson seems more keen to give any spare at-bats to younger players like Tyler Moore.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago_cubs/index.html

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think that sums it up.

The wanted him next year but not at 6.5 mil cost.

Ricketts penny pinching 101 at it's best.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Im fine with this. This leaves the door open for Szczur to try to win the spot. They also could move Lake there and sign Nelson Cruz for left. Or maybe sign Ellsbury in the offseason which I wouldn't be in favor of. It starts to give options for some of the minor leaguers to get playing time. We know what Dejesus brings. We don't know what some of them can bring.
I'm hoping to see Szczur come up in September.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dejesus is gone again. He was picked up by the Rays off waivers. Has a legit shot at a ring now.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m
Mike Rizzo deserves credit for claiming DeJesus knowing he could spin him and trade him for LH 22-year old pitching prospect from #Rays

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA The great Theo got punched in the gut. Cubs let him to save a few bucks cause ownership are cheap as hell then WSN flip him for a prospect. Great job Theo :cubstroll:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m
Mike Rizzo deserves credit for claiming DeJesus knowing he could spin him and trade him for LH 22-year old pitching prospect from #Rays

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA The great Theo got punched in the gut. Cubs let him to save a few bucks cause ownership are cheap as hell then WSN flip him for a prospect. Great job Theo :cubstroll:

cubs trade was for a PTBNL which could more then likely be the guy the nationals received from the rays..

nationals didnt really want dejesus, so im sure they may end up just shipping that pitcher to the cubs over sending them someone from their system.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
WTF

That's definitely a smack in the face to the front office. Then again not the Cubs fault that DeJesus didn't make it all the way to the Rays on the waiver wire, and he was hurt right around the deadline

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
WTF

That's definitely a smack in the face to the front office. Then again not the Cubs fault that DeJesus didn't make it all the way to the Rays on the waiver wire, and he was hurt right around the deadline

Prospect for DeJesus =/= a real prospect. More than likely a guy who will never make it to the majors at all. We aren't talking Wil Myers here. If anything, the money will end up being worth more anyway.