David Montgomery

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I think he has good moves and is hard to tackle but he’s the same type of runner as Howard in that he’s never going to break off a 75 yard td. 25-30 yards is about the ceiling due to lack of speed.

I personally think Whyte would give you the same production in the running game because he probably will have one explosive run per game where he gets 25-30 yards on one play just due to speed.

I don’t like their blocking scheme, defenses won’t get too tired stopping this type of scheme. The only long runs we have were to the outside and that tires out a defense more than 1-2 yard runs!

Bolek

Liked Posts:
Honestly, if you plugged in Howard for Montgomery today, he wouldn't have done any better. Vikings have a good run d, we dont stretch the field with longer passes and our run blocking isn't great. Also, much like last week, we were chewing up the clock entire 2nd half, so their d knew we were gonna run the ball

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Meanwhile, Howard has 140 all purpose yards, 2 rushing TDs, and a receiving TD today.

Clearly better?

:eyeroll:
Did you watch that game? I honestly didnt see anything special from Howard that game. He ran hard, pretty much straight ahead. He had some HUGE holes. He is big so because he was able to get going a little he got a couple extra yards with contact. But there were no spectacular runs that made me think 20 other NFL running backs couldnt do the same thing. Im happy for Howard to do well.. he almost lost his gig in Philly.. they tried to trade him. But I have no regrets because Monty can do far more for our team, and you were gonna have to pay Howard next year anyways.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Great player, but Cohen shouldn't be lining up in the backfield.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Did you watch that game? I honestly didnt see anything special from Howard that game. He ran hard, pretty much straight ahead. He had some HUGE holes. He is big so because he was able to get going a little he got a couple extra yards with contact. But there were no spectacular runs that made me think 20 other NFL running backs couldnt do the same thing. Im happy for Howard to do well.. he almost lost his gig in Philly.. they tried to trade him. But I have no regrets because Monty can do far more for our team, and you were gonna have to pay Howard next year anyways.

This isn't obvious to the meatballs of CCS. The TD reception was a busted coverage on a pic play and he had an 8yd reception that could have went for much more if it was a more explosive back

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually like what I see from Montgomery. He has patience, good vision, and does not go down without a fight. The blocking needs to get better to open up some holes for him to really showcase his talent but I guarantee he will break his share of big runs this year, even with piss poor OL play.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
As always, it's never just one thing that is the problem as much as CCS wants to try and portray it that way.

1. The O-line isn't doing a good job blocking plain and simple.

2. Montgomery tries to do too much at times. There are times when I wish he did have a little Jordan howard in him and he would just put his foot down and get up field. He is a patient runner that has great feet, balance and power. He reminds me of Le'veon Bell.

I personally think he actually has to slim down a bit similar to how Leveon Bell did after his rookie year. That will make him a little more explosive.