David Montgomery

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard waited for his blockers to open holes, Monty races to the line before holes open.
...like the play is designed for, yes. Howard is a patient runner. Different blocking scheme, different results, hence the move. Just need Bears to actually open some holes!!

Lol. Funny some of you dipshits think "holes" actually open on this line.
Exactly.

I rewatched the game. Of the approx 20 carries he had he was either hit or had to juke behind the line of scrimmage 17 times. Also the D knew he was gonna carry the ball, d-ends collapsing in etc.
He blocked well, ran hard, no tackles for loss behind a below average O line and against a stout D.
Good out for Monty.
Sound about right. Accurate, not right. Right would be giving DM, even Patterson a hole to build up some steam & fly through.

The problem is that there is a large agenda to paint Howard as a bum when he clearly is not a bum and how a rookie who has not proven anything at this point is "clearly" better than him.

When DM runs for 1200 yards for a season, you let me know.

This is by no means an attack on DM. I actually like Monty, but this bit about him vs Howard is a bit ridiculous.

Nobody is or was hating on Howard. Good Bears fans know how good he is and can be. Just needs the right fit. Even here at meatball central, CCS has always been supportive of him & wish him well. Where you getting the dislike. vibes?
Stick around for your crow...once OL actually starts blocking.

OL did improve their pass blocking, which was a good start. Run game next. Sadly, Long being out might've helped.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Understandable post but he just had a bad game today. Had a few runs where he lost his footing. Not great vision today. And up against a tough defense.

Going to happen with a rookie. Kid plays so well hard to remember this was only his 4th game as a pro.
We played a tough D on a wet field and they could gear up to stop the running game because we were playing our backup QB who posed no downfield threat.

But Bears fans somehow are unaware of all that.

cozzy1

Liked Posts:
I don't think the play calling helps Montgomery either. He's hit at the line of scrimmage every time, and we never vary the point of attack.
Whether he's quick or not is irrelevant, if the O-Line can't create a gap big enough for him to get through

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't think the play calling helps Montgomery either. He's hit at the line of scrimmage every time, and we never vary the point of attack.
Whether he's quick or not is irrelevant, if the O-Line can't create a gap big enough for him to get through
If he’s here at the line every time he carries that’s execution that playcalling

cozzy1

Liked Posts:
What i mean, is that we could vary the play call every now and again, to try get him more open space. All he seems to do, it run right into a stack of bodies (even though he delays the run, and looks for gaps).

It's similar to David Johnson in Arizona last year. You can be a top 5 RB, but if your O-Line isn't giving you room to run, you're gonna get nowhere.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
This offensive line is just built more to run outside zone, imo.

cozzy1

Liked Posts:
This offensive line is just built more to run outside zone, imo.

That's my point though, Dennehy. You can't get on Montgomery's back, if the O-Line is just not capable of getting him the lanes he needs.

There's an argument that he could do a little more with what he's given, but we are not creating space for him to use his athleticism.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Great player, but Cohen shouldn't be lining up in the backfield.
Beg to differ

The only td we had this game was with Cohen in the backfield. Outside of the last five minutes, I bet with Cohen in the backfield most of the time would help the offense score more points as defenses have to account for his speed against lb’s.

He’s nowhere as useful as a wr. I’d rather see another bigger receiver on the field when they’re running 4 receiver sets which they do quite a bit. Especially bc our wideouts are small with Cohen, Gabriel and Miller our there.

My two cents

cozzy1

Liked Posts:
I’d rather see another bigger receiver on the field when they’re running 4 receiver sets which they do quite a bit. Especially bc our wideouts are small with Cohen, Gabriel and Miller our there.

I figured that's why we took Patterson, to be a big-bodied WR when we needed him to be.

He's a glorified gadget RB at the moment

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well, maybe if your star Hawkeye C could do anything worth a damn to help the Cyclone alum out he might at least have more than a 4 yard gain as his longest.
Maybe if Daniels didn't have to block two people every play because our RG sucks balls and snap the ball....

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Meanwhile, Howard has 140 all purpose yards, 2 rushing TDs, and a receiving TD today.

Clearly better?

:eyeroll:
giphy.gif

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Honestly, if you plugged in Howard for Montgomery today, he wouldn't have done any better. Vikings have a good run d, we dont stretch the field with longer passes and our run blocking isn't great. Also, much like last week, we were chewing up the clock entire 2nd half, so their d knew we were gonna run the ball

It seems so simple and just common sense to see that how he was used was a huge factor in why he only averaged 2.5 yds a rush yesterday but some are like stat chasers and whatever the stats say is what that player is as a player which is ridiculous. You can clearly see talent in Monty but teams can clearly see that when the Bears have the lead in the game, especially in the 2nd half that they're just gonna run the ball and leave it all on their defense to hold that lead. You put Monty in the backfield on a team that loves to keep tacking on points even if they have a 21 point lead and the kid is looking like a legit 3 down starting RB.

Monster

Liked Posts:
There is zero fear of the Bears passing more than 5/7 yards. Until that changes teams will play the run betting the Bears can’t win in the air. Monty will be hit in the backfield half the time until otherwise.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Monty was hit at the line of scrimmage, still got 3 yards.
Same outcome after he was hit behind the line and still got 3 yards on 2nd down.
May not seem important, but it was 3rd and 4 vs 3rd and 10 because Monty is a grinder that can break tackles.
20190930_091219.jpg

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Howard was in the same position past year. A lot of his carries came in kill the clock, obvious running situations against stacked boxes.

Nagy just doesn’t really do much to compliment rb’s. Most of the time when the bears do have a respectable amount of run plays it’s in blowout or kill the clock situations late. He rarely wins games with a game plan predicated on the run.

Montgomery looks like a decent player I guess. To be honest I don’t see that big of a difference production wise between him and Howard though. I guess Montgomery catches the ball better and is a different style back in that he’s more shifty. Howard could get tough yards better though. Idk. I kind of doubt he’s gonna he this big upgrade. Really think Howard was and is a solid player. He has a track record of producing in this league. The truth is as of right now Montgomery doesn’t. So until that happens I’m not gonna just crown Monty. I’m also not sure Nagy is ever gonna allow a RB to be great with the system he runs and the way he calls games. He’s not exactly complimentary to RB’s.