David Montgomery

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Over 100 yds rushing, a receiving TD. running hard all nite getting yac. This thread sux
100 yards rushing because half of it came on one huge run where he failed to break away and score when he had daylight.

Again I'm not saying he is bad. Im saying he's average. I want a star RB.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Over 100 yds rushing, a receiving TD. running hard all nite getting yac. This thread sux

Was that his first game over 100 yards? If you take away the lucky 59 yarder, what was his average?
I think it's time we get a real RB. One we can rely on every game and not just a fluke game here and there.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, it's okay to question him. He might just be average. But It'd be nice to evaluate him behind a good o-line.

Pace has his work cut out for him...lol...if he's not fired.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I'd like to retract my comments about David Montgomery. He's one of the few guys that played with any heart last night.

One game of decent play does not mean that Montgomery is nothing more than a pedestrian NFL RB.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
100 yards rushing because half of it came on one huge run where he failed to break away and score when he had daylight.

Well said. Good to elite RBs score on that run. The Packers ran him down. He had more yards on that one run than he had the rest of the night combined. Garbage time TD. Not impressed.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Thats great. I want a star at every position.

Right now i'll settle for average considering we have miserable.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He really is. I'd suggest moving him to FB, but his blocking skills are not good.

Maybe just trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick?
What kind of Special person GM is going to give you a 3rd for Monty? Current GM company excluded

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This forum is cancer why doesn't a real bears forum exist ?

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
He doesn't have breakaway speed, and he also doesn't seem to have the power to just keep driving forward (though he has more power than speed, I'd say). So he a pretty basic RB. Supposedly his strength is juking and breaking tackles, but we haven't seen much of that.

You can't compare him to Payton. Well you can, but it's going to come out badly for Montgomery, so it's a waste of time.

He doesn't suck. He's a slightly above average RB. The entire o-line is crap, so yes, they do have to take more blame since they are garbage and he's not.
He’s the RB you ride for a few years and don’t resign. Honestly I prefer a slightly faster RB - doesn’t have to be a burner but when the gaps in the D Are wide open enough for these 50 yard runs it would be nice to see them taken all the way

msadows

Liked Posts:
This forum is cancer why doesn't a real bears forum exist ?

It does. Except it's reddit.

They downvote all the dumb meatball posts.

It's why this forum is full of idiots, because its the only place they can flock to that their voices can be heard.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats great. I want a star at every position.

Right now i'll settle for average considering we have miserable.
Some positions are more important to have stars than others. I'm sure you know that.

I'm not sure what the second sentence means. DM isn't better than what we had with Jordan Howard. Weve had Average since Howards 3rd season.

If you think people are meatballs for wanting a star running back I dont know what to tell ya.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
He only ran the ball 9 times after that run ...

LOL no one is claiming he is higher echelon, but unless you put the ball in his hands you don't have the first fucking clue again.

Go check his stats, he done more with less this season on this team ....

Context is key and fans lack it when they be hatin' don't be hatin' ....

Yes, we have far bigger problems and I don't hate Monty. I'm just not excited about him being the RB if we ever upgrade the rest of the team.

I'm not worried about Monty right now. He is what he is.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He only ran the ball 9 times after that run ...

LOL no one is claiming he is higher echelon, but unless you put the ball in his hands you don't have the first fucking clue again.

Go check his stats, he done more with less this season on this team ....

Context is key and fans lack it when they be hatin' don't be hatin' ....

I've posted this in this thread previously.....

Monty is not elite, by any means, but he's a serviceable 3 down RB who in a GOOD team can get you 4-5 yards on the regular. He doesn't have that homerun threat, but he's very very reliable.

Issue is we have a terrible terrible oline. He's averaging the highest amount of rushes for broken tackles. He has the 3rd most broken tackles. Monty has 2 less broken tackles than the guy in 2nd place, and has 114 less rushing attempts.

Monty isn't the issue. This oline is. Anyone who hasn't been sniffing glue would realize that. Sure, I'd love an elite RB, but that elite rb wont fix this run game.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Some positions are more important to have stars than others. I'm sure you know that.

I'm not sure what the second sentence means. DM isn't better than what we had with Jordan Howard. Weve had Average since Howards 3rd season.

If you think people are meatballs for wanting a star running back I dont know what to tell ya.

Except Jordan Howard, during his good years, had a very good interior OL. That first season that made his career it was the best interior in the NFL.

Montgomery has the worst OL in the NFL.

That is a huge difference.

Almost like you need to have a good OL to be a good RB.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He and Howard are the same RB other than the fact Howard knew how to find the endzone inside the 5 ...

As you say least of our troubles considering the Oline and the play calling and the ability to find open receivers (which by the way Monty was open a lot last night)

Monty is better than howard. His contact balance is elite. Howard had zero elite traits.

Monty is a guy a team like San Fran or Baltimore would LOVE to have. He's a guaranteed 4-5 yards on a good offense.

He ain't explosive, but he's reliable if you give him that blocking.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except Jordan Howard, during his good years, had a very good interior OL. That first season that made his career it was the best interior in the NFL.

Montgomery has the worst OL in the NFL.

That is a huge difference.

Almost like you need to have a good OL to be a good RB.
Please back up your statement and show me anywhere that ranks the Bears O Line as the very worst in the NFL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Zeke Elliott is averaging 3.9ypc this year (less than Monty). Why is that? There are maybe 2 or 3 RBs at any given time who can transcend a poor OL, and very few who won't do well behind a very good OL.

Investing high picks or cash into RB is a fool's errand. It's the least important and most easily replaceable position in the NFL.

Montgomery is:
1. cheap
2. durable
3. can run, catch, and block competently
4. a good teammate

You ride him out on his rookie deal and either sign him for a small deal or let him walk after his contract is up. Put money into OL, and 90% of RBs who are competent in the 4 categories will flourish.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Zeke Elliott is averaging 3.9ypc this year (less than Monty). Why is that? There are many 2 or 3 RBs at any given time who can transcend a poor OL, and very few who won't do well behind a very good OL.

Investing high picks or cash into RB is a fool's errand. It's the least important and most easily replaceable position in the NFL.

Montgomery is:
1. cheap
2. durable
3. can run, catch, and block competently
4. a good teammate

You ride him out on his rookie deal and either sign him for a small deal or let him walk after his contract is up. Put money into OL, and 90% of RBs who are competent in the 4 categories will flourish.

Like....did people even watch the niners last year? The practice squad scrub the bears cut was the post season MVP for them.

A fucking journeyman, practice squad scrub, have an average of 6.3 in the playoffs.....because he had an oline.

Almost like allowing a qb all day to throw and giving a rb holes is the way to succeed on offense.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Well said. Good to elite RBs score on that run. The Packers ran him down. He had more yards on that one run than he had the rest of the night combined. Garbage time TD. Not impressed.
You would need a 4.45 or faster running back to maybe sniff the end zone. Which are about 5-10 actual starting rbs in the nfl....

msadows

Liked Posts:
Please back up your statement and show me anywhere that ranks the Bears O Line as the very worst in the NFL.

Monty, before last night, had the lowest yards before first contact for any serious starter in a while. 1.1 yards. Thats terrible.

That means he's getting hit 1 yard after he gets the ball, on average, he's getting hit at the LOS nearly every run. Pathetic.

On DVOA, we're ranked 28th and 29th in nearly every category, and you could bet yourself we'd be ranked higher if monty wasn't capable of escaping tackles.