Day 3 Training Camp Tweets, Twats, and arguments...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meanwhile......in Titans camp....

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 44m
About 20 players involved in brawl at Titans camp:... http://fb.me/1VDeGvzZx

lmao

Tennessee Titans see first fight of training camp
Jul. 27, 2013 11:14 PM | Commen

The first padded practice sparked the first fight of Titans training camp on Saturday, as a scrap between free safety Michael Griffin and wide receiver Michael Preston escalated into a brawl of about 20 players.

It began when Griffin grabbed wide receiver Nate Washington after a pass play. The safety said he was trying to hold the receiver up, but there apparently was some miscommunication because Griffin and Preston soon were trading blows.

Other players swarmed to the fight, which occurred just in front of a fence separating fans from the field.

“It was a little scuffle,” Preston said. “It’s part of football. It’s going to happen sometimes when you’re out there competing against each other on a high level. … Neither one of us wanted to back down. You move on from it and you keep helping each other get better.”

Said Griffin: “The DBs are going to stick up for DBs and receivers stick up for receivers. One thing leads to another. It’s kind of the nature they’re trying to put into us. Stick up for your brotherhood, go out there and play hard and play physical.”

Griffin said the incident probably got out of hand, however.

“There was a trash can over there, and people were falling over, people trying to break it up,” he said. “It didn’t need to get to that.”

Griffin admitted to throwing the first punch, so he told coach Mike Munchak that he was willing to pay all fines that might be handed out.

“I got no problem with that,” Preston said with a laugh.

Munchak’s take on the whole thing: “It was mainly a lot of little guys trying to look tough. They just have to be smarter, that’s all.”

Pollard vs. Hunter: Safety Bernard Pollard spent part of practice blistering rookie wide receiver Justin Hunter’s ears with some choice expletives.

Nothing personal, Pollard said. He was merely trying to get the second-round pick from Tennessee used to the NFL.

“Being a second-round pick … we messing with you,” said Pollard, who was a second-rounder in 2006. “We need you to produce. We want you to produce. This team is expecting you to produce. So I think if we can get into his head now, Sundays will be a lot easier. So that’s our goal, to get our offense as good as possible.”

It appeared Pollard was giving Hunter a hard time about his ability to come across the middle.

“You know, we’re just gonna’ mess with him every time,” Pollard said. “Just draft picks, period, we gonna’ mess with them. We’re gonna’ have fun out there. We understand this is our livelihood, but at the same time it’s still a game. … So if we can try to break him down as much as possible, and at the same time lift him back up, it’ll be all good.”

Hunter said Pollard had been telling him — in so many words — not to come across the middle.

“It’s part of the game,” Hunter said. “You know, you don’t really listen. … But somebody talks to you, you gonna talk back and everything. That’s just being a man and all that, being competitive.”

Schwenke injured: Rookie Brian Schwenke, competing with Fernando Velasco and Rob Turner to be the starting center, left practice early after straining his left hamstring.

“He tried to push through it a little bit,” Munchak said. “When he was pushing off it, he just felt it wasn’t quite right, so we took him out. We don’t think it’s anything serious in that way, just more something that’s part of this time of year.”

Munchak said Schwenke probably would be held out of practice on Sunday. The Titans are off on Monday.

Sensabaugh surge: Coty Sensabaugh quietly took control of the nickel cornerback position in the offseason, but he’s made plenty of noise early in training camp.

The second-year pro had interceptions in each of the first two practices. At this point, it would be a surprise if he didn’t keep the job.

“He just keeps getting better,” Munchak said. “This gives him a chance, not just at nickel but a chance to compete at corner with the rest of them. He’s done well; he does great things.”

Old school: In honor of the franchise’s 15th anniversary as the Titans, players will wear navy-blue jerseys for two games this season.

The Titans wore navy blue during their early seasons in Tennessee, but they haven’t worn them since 2008, when they switched to light blue as the primary home jersey.

The Titans will wear navy against the 49ers (Oct. 20) and Jaguars (Nov. 10).

Contributing: Jim Wyatt. Reach John Glennon at 615-259-8262 or jglennon@tennessean.com.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We need odds for Cutler's first pass of practice. Catch, incomplete or intercepted.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cmon guys, let's grow up. keep day 2 drama in that thread. They not even in this thread and already you guys are talking about them.

Back to topic. I like Martellus Bennet. I feel that he will have a big year. Not much said about running backs this camp so far.

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 1m
Emery: “[McCown's] our No. 2 quarterback and he will be moving forward." RT @TorrenceCharles: @ZachZaidman think bears will sign veteran QB?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears 'D' helping offense with ball security

When the Bears work to take better care of the football, they have the perfect defense to test them.

BOURBONNAIS — Marc Trestman has a good dilemma during training camp. While trying to get his offense to improve ball security, the defense’s propensity to go after the ball is making things difficult.

During the second day of practice, S Anthony Walters appared to be the one to strip RB Aramando Allen, and CB Sherrick McManis scooped up the fumble. As every offensive play finishes, defensive coordinator Mel Tucker hollers at the players to continue going after the ball, another carryover from what we saw when Lovie Smith was in charge.

The turnovers have somewhat clouded the fact that the offense overall has looked smooth and efficient during the first two days, and Trestman said the next step is protecting the football.

“As I told the team, we’ve got to take care of the football offensively. It’s never going to get any tougher to take care of the football than it is at our practices with our defense,” Trestman told reporters after practice. “If we can take care of the football there, we’re going to feel good about taking care of it each and every play.

“So that’s the No. 1 priority is that when you’re watching practice out here that these guys are putting the ball away and we’re keeping the ball off the ground.”

On the other hand, though, Trestman is pleased that the defense is picking up where it left off in the department it’s most known for, and that’s taking the ball away. The Bears were tops in the league last year with 44 takeaways.

“I’ve been in the meetings, I know the emphasis there is on it. I know the pride the defense has had here for so many years,” Trestman said. “With new players, we have a new team, but we certainly want to stay consistent. By doing it in practice, you have guys doing it who have been around it, that’s a teaching lesson to the new guys that this is certainly something that is so important — as important as it is to protect the football at the same time, we’re trying to create turnovers any way we can. Our defense did it today on two or three occasions.”

Safety Brandon Hardin has never been with a team that concentrates more on stripping the ball, and he said part of the credit for the team's success goes to the best at doing it, cornerback Charles Tillman.

“I’ve never experienced any team that emphasized (stripping the ball) this much, throughout high school and college. Really, we’re learning from Peanut Tillman,” Hardin said. “They coined that term ‘Peanut Punch.’ It’s something that we see on film that we try to emulate. Whether it is just a punch or a strip, kind of the attitude of always going after the ball that really starts to feed off on all his players. I know we have that mentality, just being that Chicago Bears defense, going after the ball and getting turnovers.”

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
lane.gif

Now, I want a good, clean fight! LET'S GET IT ON!

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears 'D' helping offense with ball security

When the Bears work to take better care of the football, they have the perfect defense to test them.

BOURBONNAIS — Marc Trestman has a good dilemma during training camp. While trying to get his offense to improve ball security, the defense’s propensity to go after the ball is making things difficult.

During the second day of practice, S Anthony Walters appared to be the one to strip RB Aramando Allen, and CB Sherrick McManis scooped up the fumble. As every offensive play finishes, defensive coordinator Mel Tucker hollers at the players to continue going after the ball, another carryover from what we saw when Lovie Smith was in charge.

The turnovers have somewhat clouded the fact that the offense overall has looked smooth and efficient during the first two days, and Trestman said the next step is protecting the football.

“As I told the team, we’ve got to take care of the football offensively. It’s never going to get any tougher to take care of the football than it is at our practices with our defense,” Trestman told reporters after practice. “If we can take care of the football there, we’re going to feel good about taking care of it each and every play.

“So that’s the No. 1 priority is that when you’re watching practice out here that these guys are putting the ball away and we’re keeping the ball off the ground.”

On the other hand, though, Trestman is pleased that the defense is picking up where it left off in the department it’s most known for, and that’s taking the ball away. The Bears were tops in the league last year with 44 takeaways.

“I’ve been in the meetings, I know the emphasis there is on it. I know the pride the defense has had here for so many years,” Trestman said. “With new players, we have a new team, but we certainly want to stay consistent. By doing it in practice, you have guys doing it who have been around it, that’s a teaching lesson to the new guys that this is certainly something that is so important — as important as it is to protect the football at the same time, we’re trying to create turnovers any way we can. Our defense did it today on two or three occasions.”

Safety Brandon Hardin has never been with a team that concentrates more on stripping the ball, and he said part of the credit for the team's success goes to the best at doing it, cornerback Charles Tillman.

“I’ve never experienced any team that emphasized (stripping the ball) this much, throughout high school and college. Really, we’re learning from Peanut Tillman,” Hardin said. “They coined that term ‘Peanut Punch.’ It’s something that we see on film that we try to emulate. Whether it is just a punch or a strip, kind of the attitude of always going after the ball that really starts to feed off on all his players. I know we have that mentality, just being that Chicago Bears defense, going after the ball and getting turnovers.”

I'm so glad to hear that Tucker is on their case about trying to strip the ball loose

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bennett always open, for passes and conversation

Bears tight end will be in Cutler's ear one way or the other

580x427

David Haugh's In the Wake of the News

4:24 p.m. CDT, July 27, 2013
BOURBONNAIS — Somebody asked new Bears tight end Martellus Bennett if he had eaten at Ditka's restaurant yet.

"I'm not a big steak person (and) I don't eat pork,'' Bennett said. "I'm not a Muslim but I don't eat pork.''

Another questioner at training camp Friday at Olivet Nazarene University wondered where Bennett preferred lining up.

feel comfortable everywhere,'' he said with a sly smile. "I'm like a chameleon.''

Usually Bears fans worry about the tight end not getting involved enough. Rest assured Bennett will be in the middle of everything, and that isn't necessarily referring to plays designed to take advantage of his athletic 6-foot-6, 265-pound frame.

Meet the Bear who quarterback Jay Cutler most likely will want to shove.

"When we watch film, I sit right behind (Cutler) so I can whisper in his ear,'' Bennett said. "It sounds kind of creepy, but I can ask him, 'Is that what you wanted?' And he'll give me a thumbs-up. I know I probably get on his nerves.''

A teammate who gets on Cutler's nerves? Nah.

Though in all seriousness, Bennett possesses the ideal fun-loving personality to diffuse tension that often accompanies Cutler into the huddle. Four seasons with the Cowboys watching Tony Romo interact with Jason Witten taught Bennett the value of rapport. If Cutler buddy Brandon Marshall provided stability, Bennett can supply levity. Any Cutler-led offense needs both.

"I expect the ball every single play so if I come back I'll tell them I'm open,'' Bennett kidded. "I know Jay pretty well. I talk to him every single play, completion, incompletion. Communication is the biggest thing.''

When it comes to communicating, Bennett arrives with Pro Bowl-caliber skills. Whether the Bears locker room appreciates Bennett's flair as much as the press room remains something coach Marc Trestman must monitor. When Bennett says he's always open, he doesn't just mean on third down.

With the Cowboys, Bennett starred in a YouTube video praising Cap'N Crunch. With the Giants, he compared himself to Gandhi and Kim Kardashian. He likes to paint and has written a children's book. He loves dinosaurs enough to refer to himself as "Martysaurus Rex.''

The eclectic football entrepreneur who sounded as excited to visit Chicago's Art Institute as he is to play at Soldier Field enjoys mentioning his wife, Siggi. She is a makeup artist and, just guessing, a terrific listener.

"Me and my wife are two of the coolest people in the world,'' Bennett said. "It's like Jay Z and Beyonce, me and my wife, then David Beckham and Victoria.''

Bennett realizes he falls into a different tax bracket than those couples, even after signing a four-year, $20.4 million deal last March. Speaking of money, Bennett vowed that his newfound riches won't lead to poor motivation the way they often do for players who get paid.

"I don't really play for the money,'' Bennett said. "The money's good. I like driving nice cars, nice house. I like to dress nice mainly. But I'm out here to build a legacy. I want my kids to see a life fulfilled (and) getting paid gives you a couple more avenues to have an impact. It's a blessing.''

Bennett's mouth stopped. His mind raced, in search of the next soundbite. The words kept coming filter-free.

"A lot comes with that too,'' he said. "It's like the Spiderman quote, 'To whom much is given, much is expected.' Peter Parker.''

Funny, Bennett was told, the Bible attributes that quote to Luke. President John F. Kennedy famously uttered the same words too.

"Jesus said it too,'' Bennett said.

Turning the topic to more familiar ground, Bennett wondered why the Bears practiced on Bermuda grass at Olivet Nazarene instead of Kentucky bluegrass. The Chicago Park District will love this guy.

"I went to (Texas) A&M, I am an Aggie and I know my grasses,'' Bennett said.

He knows how to get his hands dirty too, as a Pro Football Focus study of Bennett's 491 snaps on running plays proved. Bennett received an outstanding grade of 2.66. Translated: Even though Marshall said he was "actually looking forward to passing some (receptions) along to Martellus,'' Bennett instantly improves the Bears running game as much as the passing.

"I'm old-school,'' Bennett said. "I block then get downfield. Not many guys do that. There are a lot of guys who are fantasy-football tight ends. I'm not a fantasy-football tight end.''

In reality, a franchise historically average at the position finally found one anything but.

"The last two really good ones were (Mike) Ditka and Greg Olsen,'' said Bennett, overlooking Desmond Clark's 242 career receptions as a Bear. "I'm different. I'm trying to make my own brand for tight end of the Chicago Bears.''

Indeed, Bennett is one of a kind.

dhaugh@tribune.com

Twitter @DavidHaugh
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...haugh-bears-chicago-20130728,0,5385345.column

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yep

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler watch: Quarterback checking his list at the line
BY ADAM L. JAHNS ajahns@suntimes.com July 27, 2013 8:48PM

The second day of practice Saturday opened like the first. Quarterback Jay Cutler’s first pass was intercepted, as the defense woke up all the early-risers in attendance.

This time, it was cornerback Charles Tillman making a Pro Bowl-caliber play, diving for the interception and making the return. It was probably a pass Cutler shouldn’t have thrown, but he improved as the day progressed.

‘‘We’ll start with play two [Sunday] because we’ve had two picks, two tremendous picks, the first two days of practice,’’ coach Marc Trestman joked. ‘‘[But] Charles made a great pick today, so that was really good.’’

Cutler continued to show his chemistry with receiver Brandon Marshall, but Trestman commended his quarterbacks for spreading the ball around.

One noticeable difference was all the checks Cutler made at the line of scrimmage. That will continue.

‘‘The liberty is within a framework of giving him choices without putting it on him to have to figure out exactly what to do,’’ Trestman said. ‘‘Because in the heat of the game, it’s much easier. You’ve got the headsets to give him the choices. All our quarterbacks did a very good job in getting us in the right play today.’’

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rookie linebacker Khaseem Greene finds a mentor in Lance Briggs
BY MARK POTASH mpotash@suntimes.com July 27, 2013 8:48PM

BOURBONNAIS — Rookie linebacker Khaseem Greene has a lot to learn, but he’s learning from the best.

Greene, a fourth-round draft pick from Rutgers, is playing on the second team at weak-side linebacker behind Lance Briggs, a seven-time Pro Bowl player. And Briggs is doing everything he can to bring the rookie along quickly.

‘‘He’s great,’’ Greene said. ‘‘I’m picking his brain. I’m watching him on film. I’m watching him in practice. I’m asking him a lot of questions, and he’s giving me
answers.

‘‘He’s been a dominant player for all these years. That’s something I want to be. Having him in front of me, somebody I can go to when I have doubt or questions, it’s amazing. It’s a really good situation for me.’’

The 6-1, 241-pound Greene, a two-time Big East defensive player of the year, is a former safety who became a playmaking strong-side linebacker at Rutgers. He can play any of the three linebacker positions.

For now, though, Greene is learning all he can playing behind Briggs, which might be the best way to accelerate his development. It’s mostly mental for rookies with talent, and Briggs sets a great example for any player.

‘‘He’s an All-Pro, but he works,’’ Greene said. ‘‘He doesn’t take plays off. He’s not lackadaisical. He’s not one of those guys who [thinks], ‘It’s all about me.’ He’s a very selfless guy. It’s all about the team.

‘‘Just seeing that makes you want to give your all for somebody like him or Charles Tillman. Those guys have been around for years, and they give it their all in every practice. How could you not give it your all for those guys?’’

Greene said he is adjusting well to NFL training camp because he played in similar situations under Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers. But he has noticed the difference.

‘‘You can tell right off the bat: The lineman are stronger, faster,’’ he said. ‘‘They’re bigger.’’

But Greene said he knows he can handle the adjustment.

‘‘No doubt at all,’’ he said. ‘‘I truly believe in myself and in
everything that’s going on around here. If they didn’t think I could do it, they wouldn’t have brought me here.’’

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For those with Sirius/XM:

SiriusXM NFL Radio ‏@SiriusXMNFL 2m
Stay tuned as we are 2 hours away form our Training Camp Tour triple header today #Patriots #Bears #Cardinals

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first thing Bennett did that disappointed me was not mention Dez Clark, I loved that guy. Oh well, I'm sure it wasn't an intentional jab at him, probably just trying to think of a recent TE on the roster.

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears 45s
Perfect conditions for a padded practice. Players love this weather. #Bears

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears 1m
Award for smallest thigh pads goes to WR Brandon Marshall. But he's wearing them as per NFL rules. #Bears

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 13s
#Bears first practice in pads of 2013 is underway: pic.twitter.com/gOvMBuUKd2

...IT BEGINS!