Dazz Newsome 40 Yard Dash Time?

Bendtackle

Liked Posts:
I've been looking him up and I'm getting some articles saying he ran a 4.38 while others are saying he ran a 4.57 and others are saying he ran a 4.59? Anyone have some insight?

Canth

Liked Posts:
I've been looking him up and I'm getting some articles saying he ran a 4.38 while others are saying he ran a 4.57 and others are saying he ran a 4.59? Anyone have some insight?

If I remember right, one of the early articles confused his shuttle time with his 40 time and it got repeated bunch. So, I think he had a 4.38 shuttle and then a 4.57 or 4.59 40.

greg23

Liked Posts:
His athletic numbers are EXTREMELY poor. Maybe he was just having a bad day...

Dazz Newsome - MockDraftable

But his #’s compare to Jamison Crowder, who’s had a good career. Robert Woods as well.

If he turns out like Robert Woods that would be great; but his numbers suggest he's slow and unathletic....and doesnt really test as quick/burst

Definitely a slot only type of guy

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You know who a 4.7 in the 40 at the combine? Jerry the GOAT WR Fucking Rice. Who fucking cares about 40 times? I want to see how a WR gets open. Does he have great strength, speed, technique, or a combo of all?

Some guys have great twitch where they can cut and not a lose an ounce of speed.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
His athletic numbers are EXTREMELY poor. Maybe he was just having a bad day...

Dazz Newsome - MockDraftable
Interestingly all of North Carolina’s players tested pretty poorly at their pro day. Dyami Brown was thought to be one of the fastest players in the class and he didn’t crack 4.3 like seemingly everybody on the pro day circuit this year.
But his #’s compare to Jamison Crowder, who’s had a good career. Robert Woods as well, who is a top tier slot reciever.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You'll see the same thing here with Dyami Brown. Makes you wonder just how fast he really is. Steelers got a steal.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
1621166742324.png1621166778574.png
Dazz Newsome_________________________________________Jarvis Landry

I would be cool with him becoming Jarvis Landry.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He doesn't look to be burner but he's a pure slot guy and has exactly what you're looking for at the position. Tough, good routes/finding gaps, great hands, quick twitch and able to navigate for YAC. Antmill has 2 of those.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know who a 4.7 in the 40 at the combine? Jerry the GOAT WR Fucking Rice. Who fucking cares about 40 times? I want to see how a WR gets open. Does he have great strength, speed, technique, or a combo of all?

Some guys have great twitch where they can cut and not a lose an ounce of speed.
ARII ran a 4.6 and gets open plenty because he is a very good route runner.

Newsome doesn’t have size but if his route running is as advertised as a twitchy athlete then he should be plenty fast to win in the slot.

He’s a 6th round rookie so I’m trying to temper my optimism but I like him as a between the 20’s option. Based on Pace’s success in these late rounds I wouldn’t be surprised if he competes for playing time right away.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 10 yard split is in the top 4% so he's quick, the top end speed is around top 25%. He's not fast. I'll go on a limb and say a 6th round WR from NC, who's only slightly faster than a 30 lbs heavier David Montgomery is going to be a bust.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like him because of need and how I think Antmil hurts the O. Hard to call an unsuccessful 6th round pick a bust since expectations should be low but I think he makes the roster and sees reps. Maybe Antmil figures it out this year. Being offered for trade without any interest should be sobering.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

The 4.38 number is an error. His 40 time is 4.59.

Really tough to reconcile that mediocre 40 time with what you see on the field. There's a video on youtube of his pro day performance. He slipped on his 3 cone drill. So, maybe he wasn't getting good grip.

The only other explanation I could come up with is that he takes short choppy steps which is a bit unusual for a WR. This is slows him down a fraction of a second, but is allowing him to change directions a couple of times in a very short distance. It's impressive to see.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

That is a lie that is often repeated, but to be fair--you are correct, his 40 wasnt that impressive-even back then

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The 10 yard split is in the top 4% so he's quick, the top end speed is around top 25%. He's not fast. I'll go on a limb and say a 6th round WR from NC, who's only slightly faster than a 30 lbs heavier David Montgomery is going to be a bust.
That is actually bottom 4%.
1621175807163.png1621175841296.png
Dazz Newsome-------------------------------------------Marquise Goodwin