Dazz Newsome 40 Yard Dash Time?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
If he turns out like Robert Woods that would be great; but his numbers suggest he's slow and unathletic....and doesnt really test as quick/burst

Definitely a slot only type of guy
Watch and tell me he looks unathletic or twitchy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Really?

Yikes.

Yeah, I'm not going to waste time looking at Dazzle's tape. It doesn't even sound like he could return punts. Waste of time.

Thanks for clarifying.
IDGAF about the 40 time. How many 4.3 guys have been shit? As long as he isn't running a 4.85 and getting caught from behind by D linemen, it is about playing football. Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, Julian Edleman all small slow guys that played huge, hope Dazz can do the same. Different type WR but, Larry Fitgerald ran a 4.63 40.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is actually bottom 4%.
View attachment 11915View attachment 11916
Dazz Newsome-------------------------------------------Marquise Goodwin
Guess what a slow track effects the most? Dyami Brown is considered a burner (track guy) and his 10yd split was at the 51st percentile. Ran a 4.45 40. Not saying Newsome is fast for the NFL, he's not but he'll have no problem returning punts or in the slot.

AR ran a 4.6 with 1.54 split. Dyami had a 1.57 and I guarantee you that he smokes AR out of the blocks on the same track.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
IDGAF about the 40 time. How many 4.3 guys have been shit? As long as he isn't running a 4.85 and getting caught from behind by D linemen, it is about playing football. Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, Julian Edleman all small slow guys that played huge, hope Dazz can do the same.
Yeah, some guys, for whatever reason don't test well in underwear but show plenty of the traits you look for on the football field. It would be different if his tape matched his test numbers.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IDGAF about the 40 time. How many 4.3 guys have been shit? As long as he isn't running a 4.85 and getting caught from behind by D linemen, it is about playing football. Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, Julian Edleman all small slow guys that played huge, hope Dazz can do the same. Different type WR but, Larry Fitgerald ran a 4.63 40.
Maybe he's got elite hands or route running. What do I know?

I'll let him prove it on the field. There's a less than 10 percent chance he's an NFL success story. I'm not holding my breath.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The 4.38 stuff came from a site that mixed up Dazz Newsome's time with Greg Newsome's time. Greg ran a 4.38. Dazz isn't a burner, I think that was pretty well known coming into the draft as he never really projected above the late 3rd or 4th round. But show me a guy that is a productive punt returner, and I know he's got enough short area quickness and acceleration to be a dangerous WR. The long speed does ultimately limit him, but if he can return some punts and be a solid WR4 at worse, he's a steal as a late 6th round pick.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
The 4.38 stuff came from a site that mixed up Dazz Newsome's time with Greg Newsome's time. Greg ran a 4.38. Dazz isn't a burner, I think that was pretty well known coming into the draft as he never really projected above the late 3rd or 4th round. But show me a guy that is a productive punt returner, and I know he's got enough short area quickness and acceleration to be a dangerous WR. The long speed does ultimately limit him, but if he can return some punts and be a solid WR4 at worse, he's a steal as a late 6th round pick.
Yeah. Long speed be damned. What you do see consistently is that he has the speed and burst to outrun players that have the angle on him. His burst is actually shocking.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace probably didn't catch the mix up...lol

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Maybe he's got elite hands or route running. What do I know?

I'll let him prove it on the field. There's a less than 10 percent chance he's an NFL success story. I'm not holding my breath.
Definitely has really strong hands. They're massive for his size. But because of his shorter arms he's built like a RB.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I disagree on the long speed. Watch the tape. He doesn't get caught from behind. His "slow" 40 is due to the slow first 10 not his top end speed. And being that route running is rarely about just running fast and straight the first 10 is really unimportant.
Let's look at 2 of the top 10 40 guys in combine history( many don't have the 10 yard split listed), Mike Wallace and Newsome's teammate Marquise Goodwin.

----------------------------40 time------------10 yard split----------10-40 yard time
Mike Wallace -----------4.28-------------------1.43--------------------2.85
Marquise Goodwin-----4.27-------------------1.43--------------------2.84
Dazz Newsome----------4.59-------------------1.65--------------------2.94

So versus 2 of the fastest men in NFL history he is within 1 yard of them when at full speed over 30 yards.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
40 times are overrated . They measure explosiveness but not football speed. Can he catch and break tackles that’s all we need

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
40 times are overrated . They measure explosiveness but not football speed. Can he catch and break tackles that’s all we need
He looks like a pretty fierce runner with good contact balance. It’s hard to judge how that will translate though since the highlights show him breaking some pretty sloppy tackles.

So far the reviews out of rookie camp have all been good which means almost nothing but better than having shitty reviews.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I think people are starting to forget that Dazz was a 6th round pick. That was not a huge investment by Pace. It's a flyer on a guy that may be able to help add depth to the slot WR and hopefully be able to contribute to special teams.

And honestly, at this point, guys like Dazz and Khalil Herbert will get noticed a lot more by the coaches if they have kick and punt return ability and then also to be gunners on special teams. That is what will help them make the 53 man roster and see any playing time.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
That is a lie that is often repeated, but to be fair--you are correct, his 40 wasnt that impressive-even back then

Measurables are just part of the mix, the pre-season practices and games will tell the coaches who has 'it' as far as on field talent. I just don't pay any attention to what anybody says, what anybody does is all that matters. The regular season will be here soon enough.,,,

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I disagree on the long speed. Watch the tape. He doesn't get caught from behind. His "slow" 40 is due to the slow first 10 not his top end speed. And being that route running is rarely about just running fast and straight the first 10 is really unimportant.
Let's look at 2 of the top 10 40 guys in combine history( many don't have the 10 yard split listed), Mike Wallace and Newsome's teammate Marquise Goodwin.

----------------------------40 time------------10 yard split----------10-40 yard time
Mike Wallace -----------4.28-------------------1.43--------------------2.85
Marquise Goodwin-----4.27-------------------1.43--------------------2.84
Dazz Newsome----------4.59-------------------1.65--------------------2.94

So versus 2 of the fastest men in NFL history he is within 1 yard of them when at full speed over 30 yards.
I mean, you can disagree but it's an actual fact that he doesn't have good long speed. "Being caught from behind" means nothing. That's all about angles and stamina. Nobody from the Texans caught Montgomery from behind on the 80 yard TD, and he's a 4.6 guy. Budda Baker, a 4.45 guy, famously got caught by DK from behind.

Everything else you said, I basically agree with and said I wasn't really worried about it in the very post you quoted.