DE vs. DT in the Bears’ Defense

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

So, I was listening to this interview last night, and ‘Flus was asked about why he didn’t get a pass rushing end. I was like, yeah, isn’t that he question we all have? So, he goes on and discusses that, since QBs are now shorter, IOL have shorter arms, and they are less athletic than the OT, he wants to use penetrating DTs to create single mismatches on the outside.

It is an interesting zig while the league is zagging to pass rushing ends. It would also have the bonus of forcing teams to the outside where his fast and athletic back 7 can clean up.

So, there are two basic D philosophies: channel everything in or channel everything out to the sidelines and use speed and the sideline as a 12th man. In general, bigger teams want to channel in and faster teams want to channel out. The Eberflus D is taking shape.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

So, I was listening to this interview last night, and ‘Flus was asked about why he didn’t get a pass rushing end. I was like, yeah, isn’t that he question we all have? So, he goes on and discusses that, since QBs are now shorter, IOL have shorter arms, and they are less athletic than the OT, he wants to use penetrating DTs to create single mismatches on the outside.

It is an interesting zig while the league is zagging to pass rushing ends. It would also have the bonus of forcing teams to the outside where his fast and athletic back 7 can clean up.

So, there are two basic D philosophies: channel everything in or channel everything out to the sidelines and use speed and the sideline as a 12th man. In general, bigger teams want to channel in and faster teams want to channel out. The Eberflus D is taking shape.

Yeah, you're reading into this too much.

There was a run on the good DE's and none were there when they picked so they picked players at other positions they needed to fill. It's a simple as that.

No need to reach for a DE when you also need a DT, CB etc etc etc.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
We obviously need to upgrade at DE long term, but the Bears did not collapse (or dent) the pocket very well last year allowing the QB to step up. And the best way to beat Tom Brady was pressure up the middle. I think Poles saw so many holes, and realized we could not patch them all, so he focused on stopping the run and denting the pocket this year. I was a bit disappointed not to see many UDFA DEs signed this year. Hopefully the top waiver spot can procure a stop gap also.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The league is "zagging to to pass rushing ends?" Dude, they've already been there for decades.

When was the last time a DT went first overall? 1994. Since then 5 DEs/OLBs have gone first overall. In that time (29 drafts since 1994) DEs/OLBs have been selected ahead of DTs 20 times. So, yeah, almost 30 years worth of "zagging," apparently. It's a silly premise...

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

There was a run on the good DE's and none were there when they picked so they picked players at other positions they needed to fill. It's a simple as that.

Agree with this 100 percent.
I still feel like Poles has the cash to get one the best DEs left in FA, and should pursue that option. Hoping for a value DE in next year's draft to kick start the line is a risk imo

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Poles needs to showcase his dumpster diving skills in June.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
We obviously need to upgrade at DE long term, but the Bears did not collapse (or dent) the pocket very well last year allowing the QB to step up. And the best way to beat Tom Brady was pressure up the middle. I think Poles saw so many holes, and realized we could not patch them all, so he focused on stopping the run and denting the pocket this year. I was a bit disappointed not to see many UDFA DEs signed this year. Hopefully the top waiver spot can procure a stop gap also.
Why does that disappoint you? The chances of those guys making the team and being impactful are slim.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

I’m sure this was also a key factor.

Putting this in context, I remember reading a while back about the reason why Belichek switched to a 3-4 was the availability of rush edge 3-4 OLBs. So, it’s kind of like an evolutionary biological knee adaptation to available resources.

Either way, it is definitely more than one factor as to why they didn’t snag a DE.

On top of that, I’m wondering if they’re thinking to be going with larger DEs they are designed to hold the edge and contain over rushing. If this is the case, they may be using their IDL and back 7 to attack the O.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I predict he never plays a down on defense in the nfl. He's pretty terrible
I’m not sure about that. I don’t think he plays a down for about a year. He hasn’t had any training or conditioning apart from the Army. I’m sure the Vikings can coach him up and get him in an NFL training program. He may be a decent rotational piece in about a year.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
Look at the Colts roster in the time he was there - DE wasn't a premium position for them.

Colts Defensive End Sack Leaders under Flus
2018 - Jabal Sheard (5.5), Margus Hunt (5.0)
2019 - Justin Houston (11.0)
2020 - Houston (8.0), Denico Autry (7.5)
2021 - Al-Quadin Muhammad (6.0)

Weighted Defensive DVOA under Flus with pre and post Flus stats in 17 & 22
2017 (7.9%, 29th)
2018 (-7.2%, 8th)
2019 (2.8%, 19th)
2020 (-6.0%, 10th)
2021 (-9.2%, 7th)
2022 (0.3%, 17th)

So his scheme is: not dependent on having elite pass rush from the outside and 3 out of the 4 years he was in Indy - a top 10 defense.

I'm willing to throw 2022 out of the window based on the tankjob that they executed. I'm not predicting we'll have a top 10 defense by any means, but when you look at their roster, Indy kind of did it with smoke and mirrors outside of Buckner.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Painful to watch all the edge guys drafted but Poles knows guys are available in FA still or cuts/trade

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Really think he's going to rush LBers more this season.

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This.
There were 11 edge taken before the bears 2nd round pick. There were 5 DT taken before the Dexter pick