dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't see much of a point. Doesn't seem like Poles sees this team as ready to compete, so why take playing time away from the young guys? To win maybe one more game, or two if you think Yannick/Clark/Floyd are that big of upgrades? I wouldn't mind it but i don't think it's totally necesary.
Yeah i agree, that's why i said he might sign one or two if he thinks they can make a playoff run. The biggest thing that will suck is it'll once again make it real hard on our secondary if we have another year in pass rushing anything close to what we had last year and it's real hard to evaluate the young kids we have like that. Like as of now i don't have much confidence in K.Gordon. The dude will hit you but he got worked in coverage at NB and CB. Yeah he made some good plays but he got beat a lot.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

So, I was listening to this interview last night, and ‘Flus was asked about why he didn’t get a pass rushing end. I was like, yeah, isn’t that he question we all have? So, he goes on and discusses that, since QBs are now shorter, IOL have shorter arms, and they are less athletic than the OT, he wants to use penetrating DTs to create single mismatches on the outside.

It is an interesting zig while the league is zagging to pass rushing ends. It would also have the bonus of forcing teams to the outside where his fast and athletic back 7 can clean up.

So, there are two basic D philosophies: channel everything in or channel everything out to the sidelines and use speed and the sideline as a 12th man. In general, bigger teams want to channel in and faster teams want to channel out. The Eberflus D is taking shape.
Problem is Bears still don’t really have anyone to dominate the middle. This is still a bottom 3 defensive line.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Problem is Bears still don’t really have anyone to dominate the middle. This is still a bottom 3 defensive line.
Maybe. I think with what they are going to ask Dexter to do he will be of a force that what they asked him to do in college.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
One of the DTs should be able to 3tech pretty well. In this D, everything else gets better once that works.
I believe Pickens will play the 3T behind Jones and rotate with him and Dexter ( America's favorite Serial - Killer ) will rotate with Billings at the 1T. Let's hope its the beginning of a new and great D-line.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe. I think with what they are going to ask Dexter to do he will be of a force that what they asked him to do in college.
Kind of. Poles said he envisions Dexter as a rotational player. He said Florida used him too much and that’s why he had “motor” problems, and Poles made the choice to draft him based off “flash” performance. They’ll need otther strong rational pieces. I think Billings is good for that this season.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of. Poles said he envisions Dexter as a rotational player. He said Florida used him too much and that’s why he had “motor” problems, and Poles made the choice to draft him based off “flash” performance. They’ll need otther strong rational pieces. I think Billings is good for that this season.
He’s last year had 50% more snaps. They said he will be attacking the gap instead of reading.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I too took note of what he said and it's true that pressure up the middle is what QBs hate the most (which i why I'm flummoxed that the Bears didn't draft a center), it's also something you say when you know your team finished last in sacks, has no outside rush whatsoever, and you still didn't draft a DE ?.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
So here's the draft call with Gervon Dexter and at the end Alan Williams gets on the phone and tells him that they're building this defense from the inside out. Not sure if that has anything to go with what you're saying but maybe.

They are actually building it from the outside in lol

Went S and CB last year. Signed FA LBers and they finally went DT this draft

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I too took note of what he said and it's true that pressure up the middle is what QBs hate the most (which i why I'm flummoxed that the Bears didn't draft a center), it's also something you say when you know your team finished last in sacks, has no outside rush whatsoever, and you still didn't draft a DE ?.
whitehair didnt play badly at center? his problem was the exchange between him and the qb. id agree about the pressure up the middle if it was mustipher but hes gone.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
whitehair didnt play badly at center? his problem was the exchange between him and the qb. id agree about the pressure up the middle if it was mustipher but hes gone.
My concern with Whitehair as well as Patrick are injury history.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
You can generate a pass rush a multitude of ways. The days of just relying on one guy to be a wrecking ball from the edge are over.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't see much of a point. Doesn't seem like Poles sees this team as ready to compete, so why take playing time away from the young guys? To win maybe one more game, or two if you think Yannick/Clark/Floyd are that big of upgrades? I wouldn't mind it but i don't think it's totally necesary.

Well, for one thing they have to spend roughly another 30 mil to get above the cash spending floor on the season. Rookie signings will eat up a chunk of that - Wright will cost around 5.56 this year, but then there is a huge drop-off, so maybe 12ish mil on all rookies total? That still leaves 18 mil they have to spend on extensions and additional FA signings.

Which "young guy" edge rushers are you worried about taking time away from, anyway?

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
Well, for one thing they have to spend roughly another 30 mil to get above the cash spending floor on the season. Rookie signings will eat up a chunk of that - Wright will cost around 5.56 this year, but then there is a huge drop-off, so maybe 12ish mil on all rookies total? That still leaves 18 mil they have to spend on extensions and additional FA signings.

Which "young guy" edge rushers are you worried about taking time away from, anyway?

Robinson and Gipson? Personally I haven't given up on Robinson, he was incredibly raw coming into the league. I'm Interested to see if he can develop into something.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are actually building it from the outside in lol

Went S and CB last year. Signed FA LBers and they finally went DT this draft
So long as Dexter doesn't remind me of Dexter DeShawn, he'll be an upgrade.
no one knows how this team will look until football is played
Yeah but from the end of April until the second pre-season game is peak-optimism.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:

So, I was listening to this interview last night, and ‘Flus was asked about why he didn’t get a pass rushing end. I was like, yeah, isn’t that he question we all have? So, he goes on and discusses that, since QBs are now shorter, IOL have shorter arms, and they are less athletic than the OT, he wants to use penetrating DTs to create single mismatches on the outside.

It is an interesting zig while the league is zagging to pass rushing ends. It would also have the bonus of forcing teams to the outside where his fast and athletic back 7 can clean up.

So, there are two basic D philosophies: channel everything in or channel everything out to the sidelines and use speed and the sideline as a 12th man. In general, bigger teams want to channel in and faster teams want to channel out. The Eberflus D is taking shape.
You know conceptually I like where your brain is here but if the Chicago Bears zig and everybody else zags it's probably not a great sign based on my experience the last 30 years

greg23

Liked Posts:
They should be in the market for at lease one edge guy to be in the rotation....and ideally someone on a 1 year deal who can help if they miraculouspy make an early sesason run at the playoffs or if the team is bad again be dealt at the deadline.....the edge guy who may have the most potential trade value would be frank clark.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Things I never want to hear from the GM for the team that I root for:

1. DE’s are not important in a 4-3
2. Let’s draft Trubisky at #2
3. Hey call up the Steelers and give them the #32nd pick for Claypool
4. I think Dan Bazuin will be a great pick for this franchise
5. We totally got one over on the Seahawks by acquiring Rick Mirer for just a 1st rounder!!!