DE vs. DT in the Bears’ Defense

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Well, for one thing they have to spend roughly another 30 mil to get above the cash spending floor on the season. Rookie signings will eat up a chunk of that - Wright will cost around 5.56 this year, but then there is a huge drop-off, so maybe 12ish mil on all rookies total? That still leaves 18 mil they have to spend on extensions and additional FA signings.

Which "young guy" edge rushers are you worried about taking time away from, anyway?
I think to get to that cap floor they need to spend closer to $40 mill. Could be wrong. But if they spend 12 mill on rookie deals, they could probably spend the rest on one extension depending on how they structure the signing bonus.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe Pickens will play the 3T behind Jones and rotate with him and Dexter ( America's favorite Serial - Killer ) will rotate with Billings at the 1T. Let's hope its the beginning of a new and great D-line.
I think one of the picks will be the primary 3-tech on passing downs by midseason and 4 guys rotate the DTs spot to stay fresh.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Well, for one thing they have to spend roughly another 30 mil to get above the cash spending floor on the season. Rookie signings will eat up a chunk of that - Wright will cost around 5.56 this year, but then there is a huge drop-off, so maybe 12ish mil on all rookies total? That still leaves 18 mil they have to spend on extensions and additional FA signings.

Which "young guy" edge rushers are you worried about taking time away from, anyway?
I'm not "worried" at all. Just saying, there's no reason to feel like you've got to get veteran talent at the position or else.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Flus says allot of things. He also said you don’t overpay off the ball lbs and this offseason they paid off the ball lb big money. It’s just a work in progress so when they find someone they want they will get them or at least try
I don't have the quote but my recollection is Poles didn't want to pay off ball LB's elite money and he didn't pay this new group at that level.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
There was a run of DE's and if you picking and don't think that the available DE's are better than your backup DE's then why would you draft one of them?

Reactions: chi

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Don't cry about it......nobody else is, and for you to think we're even close to super bowl contenders is craziness.
Nobody???

What about Andre Carter II (Army) he's weighing in at 256 but he's 6'7"?

He could maybe put on 10 pounds and be fine to play DE in a 4-3.

What do you think about Andre Carter II at 6'7" and 256 pounds? Think he could play DE in the 4-3?

Andre Carter II--OLB who i think could play DE
Moro Ojomo--DE
Anthony Johnson Jr--S
Alex Forsyth--C
Deuce Vaughn--RB
Zach Kuntz--TE
Ali Gaye--DE
Brandon Joseph--S
Andrew Vorhees--Kid tore his acl at the combine

Please sign Andre Carter Poles

Of course he signs with the Vikings as a UDFA.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They are actually building it from the outside in lol

Went S and CB last year. Signed FA LBers and they finally went DT this draft
Just going off of what their DC actually said. maybe he meant the DL.

Liked Posts:
I see alot of people upset that the Bears didn't get a DE, but I'm hoping that Dexter is primarily used out at DE. I'm hoping that he can get down to around 290-295 and put his hand in the dirt as a 2 down DE.

For some reason so many draft beatnik get this idea that the 4-3 TAMPA2 only utilizes TWEENER DEs. Peppers wasn't a tweener. Izzy wasn't a tweener. Ogungleye wasn't a tweener. Wooden wasn't a tweener.

He'll, at in Carolina Ron Rivera used Gregg Hardy as a 2 down DE at 6'4"/290 and moved him all over that Carolina 4 man front in various sub packages.
That's exactly what I hope the Bears do with Dexter.

Dexter has the length athleticism to play as a 2 down DE who moves all over the DLINE, and could get a little more pop in his burst off the LOS by shedding a few pounds.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no reason Adebawore should not be an edge setting DE. No running back is going to get around him, his rate of speed is likely why he gets missed tackles because he is getting to plays others would not even get to.

It is 10x as hard to play football at Northwestern when you are an anchor player than it is to play at Ohio St where you have a rotation, ability to take games off when you are dinged up, load sharing with anchors across the defensive rotation.

At northwestern they "need" you on the field. DE is not a mental position in the NFL. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to cause havoc with his athleticism and strength.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see alot of people upset that the Bears didn't get a DE, but I'm hoping that Dexter is primarily used out at DE. I'm hoping that he can get down to around 290-295 and put his hand in the dirt as a 2 down DE.

For some reason so many draft beatnik get this idea that the 4-3 TAMPA2 only utilizes TWEENER DEs. Peppers wasn't a tweener. Izzy wasn't a tweener. Ogungleye wasn't a tweener. Wooden wasn't a tweener.

He'll, at in Carolina Ron Rivera used Gregg Hardy as a 2 down DE at 6'4"/290 and moved him all over that Carolina 4 man front in various sub packages.
That's exactly what I hope the Bears do with Dexter.

Dexter has the length athleticism to play as a 2 down DE who moves all over the DLINE, and could get a little more pop in his burst off the LOS by shedding a few pounds.

Best I've felt since the draft about it. Thanks for that idea. To further that point, his length is the type of DE this regime keeps stating they want.

And I dare you to block him with a TE.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
There is no reason Adebawore should not be an edge setting DE. No running back is going to get around him, his rate of speed is likely why he gets missed tackles because he is getting to plays others would not even get to.

It is 10x as hard to play football at Northwestern when you are an anchor player than it is to play at Ohio St where you have a rotation, ability to take games off when you are dinged up, load sharing with anchors across the defensive rotation.

At northwestern they "need" you on the field. DE is not a mental position in the NFL. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to cause havoc with his athleticism and strength.
Have you watched him play?