CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
In a previous regime that ran the Cover-2 it seemed to me that when you had two dominant DTs it made life easier to rush the QB from the edge. I'm not quite sure the current DEs are the guys that are going to get after QB even with a strong inside presence, With what Poles has done on the back end I think you're going to see more coverage sacks then that strong push up front.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are different ways to create sacks.

The Bears now have two legit safeties, potentially three legit corners and three legit linebackers. This in theory should cause opposing QBs to hold on to the ball a tick or two longer.

If Dexter and Pickens turn out to be decent pocket pushers that in theory should help push the opposing QBs to the edge players.

So a combination of solid coverage and inside pressure in theory should help make the QB pressure/sacks stats look better than they did last year.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
There are different ways to create sacks.

The Bears now have two legit safeties, potentially three legit corners and three legit linebackers. This in theory should cause opposing QBs to hold on to the ball a tick or two longer.

If Dexter and Pickens turn out to be decent pocket pushers that in theory should help push the opposing QBs to the edge players.

So a combination of solid coverage and inside pressure in theory should help make the QB pressure/sacks stats look better than they did last year.
This

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

So, I was listening to this interview last night, and ‘Flus was asked about why he didn’t get a pass rushing end. I was like, yeah, isn’t that he question we all have? So, he goes on and discusses that, since QBs are now shorter, IOL have shorter arms, and they are less athletic than the OT, he wants to use penetrating DTs to create single mismatches on the outside.

It is an interesting zig while the league is zagging to pass rushing ends. It would also have the bonus of forcing teams to the outside where his fast and athletic back 7 can clean up.

So, there are two basic D philosophies: channel everything in or channel everything out to the sidelines and use speed and the sideline as a 12th man. In general, bigger teams want to channel in and faster teams want to channel out. The Eberflus D is taking shape.
LMAO. It's all fun and games til the team finishes last in the division again.

The moves to make to truly impact the defense were there to be had. Bears weren't bold or smart enough to make those moves.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
LMAO. It's all fun and games til the team finishes last in the division again.

The moves to make to truly impact the defense were there to be had. Bears weren't bold or smart enough to make those moves.
I prefer the slow build. If you sign everyone at once, you may get a bunch of players that don’t mesh. Right now, I think we have some players on the DLine that we would like to see play, but the rest of the team looks set with average to quality players at each position. We are giving a bunch of young players an opportunity on our DLine. If it works, great. If it doesn’t, we have a better idea of what to address in it next year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

So, I was listening to this interview last night, and ‘Flus was asked about why he didn’t get a pass rushing end. I was like, yeah, isn’t that he question we all have? So, he goes on and discusses that, since QBs are now shorter, IOL have shorter arms, and they are less athletic than the OT, he wants to use penetrating DTs to create single mismatches on the outside.

It is an interesting zig while the league is zagging to pass rushing ends. It would also have the bonus of forcing teams to the outside where his fast and athletic back 7 can clean up.

So, there are two basic D philosophies: channel everything in or channel everything out to the sidelines and use speed and the sideline as a 12th man. In general, bigger teams want to channel in and faster teams want to channel out. The Eberflus D is taking shape.
So here's the draft call with Gervon Dexter and at the end Alan Williams gets on the phone and tells him that they're building this defense from the inside out. Not sure if that has anything to go with what you're saying but maybe.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I predict he never plays a down on defense in the nfl. He's pretty terrible
Well he did just go 7 rounds without getting drafted so it's an easy thing to say after seeing that.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the quality was there they would have drafted it. Eberflus has stated the DT is the key on the line in his defense so obviously that was prioritized but just not sure that there were enough DEs that made sense, plus you are building over a couple years after the tear down last seasdon not one offseason.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
...oh no there goes the superbowl.... we really needed that UDFA...
Don't cry about it......nobody else is, and for you to think we're even close to super bowl contenders is craziness.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It doesn't seem like Poles is all that interested in signing older free agents but I would have no issue bringing Floyd back.
Floyd would be nice but Yannick is like 28 and Frank Clark is only 29 so i could see 1 maybe 2 year deals if if thinks they can make a playoff run so we'll see.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The league is "zagging to to pass rushing ends?" Dude, they've already been there for decades.

When was the last time a DT went first overall? 1994. Since then 5 DEs/OLBs have gone first overall. In that time (29 drafts since 1994) DEs/OLBs have been selected ahead of DTs 20 times. So, yeah, almost 30 years worth of "zagging," apparently. It's a silly premise...
Could have been this year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
@Chicagosports89

homer-simpson-back-away.gif

It wouldn't let me reply to your post for some reason.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Floyd would be nice but Yannick is like 28 and Frank Clark is only 29 so i could see 1 maybe 2 year deals if if thinks they can make a playoff run so we'll see.
I don't see much of a point. Doesn't seem like Poles sees this team as ready to compete, so why take playing time away from the young guys? To win maybe one more game, or two if you think Yannick/Clark/Floyd are that big of upgrades? I wouldn't mind it but i don't think it's totally necesary.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of the DTs should be able to 3tech pretty well. In this D, everything else gets better once that works.