Defensive coordinator search news

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Biggs, in the morning, besides pretty much calling the Rodgers exit, made it sound like Bettcher was the front runner for the job. He also mentioned that someone from outside of the organization would likely want to bring in some of his own staff.

Last edited:

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if it's Bettcher, I hope it's the Arizona version. Idk what happened to him with the Giants.

greg23

Liked Posts:
To be fair, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to work with Nagy. He's possibly fired next year...there really is no advantage to working with him for a year.

Ummmmm......hes a great guy to know to get into the residential real estate agent industry.....a clear advantage.

greg23

Liked Posts:
if it's Bettcher, I hope it's the Arizona version. Idk what happened to him with the Giants.

Not sure why but don't want this guy

Biggs likes him because he's a mini version of butterball biggs and could probably hit him up at the buffets and use him as a "source"

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Bettcher is more or less the opposite of Pagano, lots of blitzing, single high/cover one man, very aggressive. IIRC he tried to implement that on a Giants team that was using a 4-3 under Spagnuolo and has 4-3 personnel in 2018. It was a square peg, round hole situation and the Giants weren't very talented on defense, and I think their corners were Janoris Jenkins and maybe an injured Eli Apple, not guys you're going to trust in one on one in space. They did have 16 interceptions in 2018.

Hopefully he learned from that mistake.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jay Rodgers to LAC as DC

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay Rodgers to LAC as DC
Question and Im just quoting you cause you posted this.

Bears D line kinda sucked in 2020 with two huge money guys(Mack,Quinn). Why couldn't Jay get production out of them? Linebackers coach actually responsible in 3-4?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Bears D line kinda sucked in 2020 with two huge money guys(Mack,Quinn). Why couldn't Jay get production out of them? Linebackers coach actually responsible in 3-4?
They have an OLB coach, Monachino, and a pass rush coach, Shuey... Jay did a great job this year with Unrein, Edwards, Nichols. Just like he did with Nick Williams last year.

Last edited:

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have an OLB coach, Monachino, and a pass rush coach, Shuey... Jay did a great job this year with Unrein, Edwards, Nichols this year. Just like he did with Nick Williams last year.
Im not trying to say Jay isnt a good coach fwiw. Just trying to figure out why the D front couldn't get good QB pressure this season.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Im not trying to say Jay isnt a good coach fwiw. Just trying to figure out why the D front couldn't get good QB pressure this season.

Falls more on the LBs coach imo. For the past few seasons, we've always got more out of defensive lineman.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Part of it was soft coverage schemes and lots of quick, easy throws. Part of it was very little blitzing and not much creativity with stunts. Part of it was Quinn probably wasn't healthy. And part of it, interestingly, was weird penalties. Mack had four sacks (including a strip sack) wiped out by penalties, all of which were questionable imo.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part of it was soft coverage schemes and lots of quick, easy throws. Part of it was very little blitzing and not much creativity with stunts. Part of it was Quinn probably wasn't healthy. And part of it, interestingly, was weird penalties. Mack had four sacks (including a strip sack) wiped out by penalties, all of which were questionable imo.
So with a better DC where do you see the ceiling for this 17th ranked D next year? I ask because I keep seeing people say the Bears are gonna have a top 5 pick in 2022 if we just pass on a QB this year. But I personally think the D can rebound to a top 10 unit with better scheme, Goldman, and health. Hard to get that high of a pick with a good D.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
So with a better DC where do you see the ceiling for this 17th ranked D next year? I ask because I keep seeing people say the Bears are gonna have a top 5 pick in 2022 if we just pass on a QB this year. But I personally think the D can rebound to a top 10 unit with better scheme, Goldman, and health. Hard to get that high of a pick with a good D.
I think the defense can be much better, yes, with health and scheme. But defensive stats are also tied to game rhythm. When the offense can't score it changes how the other team plays. Sacks tend to come late in games when you're winning. Rushing yards tends to come late in games when you're winning. If you're never winning it's tough to get those things.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Looking back at the stats, losing Johnson and Skrine really hurt the defense. The unit played very well the first half of the season and there is no reason to think they cannot do that again.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I wouldn't say the d-line sucked as much as i'd say our OLB's in R.Quinn sucked, K.Mack wasn't great but not bad and the backups are just that.....backups. But he's been good with the guys in the middle like A.Hicks (Obviously), RRH, M.Edwards, B.Nichols, B.Urban and Nick Williams last year.

Edit: Okay so after scrolling through the rest i see that everything i said has already been covered...LOL

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Come on now, you know these people have zero idea where the Bears will be drafting in 2022. It's just the negative people always looking towards the negative. We could be picking at #5 or all the way down in the 20's again.