Demand for Josh McCown an indicator of NFL quarterback market in 2015

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
McCown sucks.

The QB market sucks.

Does that mean that Jay Cutler doesn't suck?

For 2015 Cutler will be the best of some bad options. Hopefully in 2016 the Bears can move on with someone better than is available this season.

Better be prepared to lose if you want the best QB option of next year. History alone say no more than one or two QBs a year make it as starters in the NFL. By the look of it those two would be Cook and. Hackenberg, assuming he recaptures the magic of his sophomore year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
So a string of 6 games = having "good years?" Just get over it, there are no "best years" to have behind him because he didn't have any outside of a single half-season stretch. He's been a shit QB his whole career and one hot streak doesn't change that. Lovie is an idiot (for wanting him brought to Tampa) and the Browns are just as bad for guaranteeing him 6.5 mil to play drug/alcohol counselor to Manziel's dumb ass.

Technically, Manziel had his best year in the NFL last year, it was horrible and embarrassing, but it was his best year because it was his only year.

Same goes for McCown, 2013 was certainly his best year in the NFL because he had 6 great games of throwing the ball and 6 great games of carrying the clipboard. His next least crappiest year would be one of his best years.

And no, a string of great play for 6 games is not equal to a good year.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
McCown sucks.

The QB market sucks.

Does that mean that Jay Cutler doesn't suck?

For 2015 Cutler will be the best of some bad options. Hopefully in 2016 the Bears can move on with someone better than is available this season.

No, Cutler doesn't suck. People are just using last year as a jumpoff for their jay sucks argument despite him not sucking years prior. The problem with fans in general is they have a selective memory and are sheep. All of a sudden Mccown would have been a great option because he was getting paid less and had six great games while Cutler just sucks? That shit doesn't make any sense. Mccown sucks and you wanted him to start Windy, Jay is above average and you want him gone because of his price LAST YEAR.

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
No, Cutler doesn't suck. People are just using last year as a jumpoff for their jay sucks argument despite him not sucking years prior. The problem with fans in general is they have a selective memory and are sheep. All of a sudden Mccown would have been a great option because he was getting paid less and had six great games while Cutler just sucks? That shit doesn't make any sense. Mccown sucks and you wanted him to start Windy, Jay is above average and you want him gone because of his price LAST YEAR.

Was he top 12 or so QBR the past years then? Because I don't recall it, and that sounds like what you are saying. I hate borrowing words from Ommy, but he has been mediocre at best. We are just use to seeing complete garbage in Chicago so it makes him seem like he is doing better than he is. I don't think many people are basing this on "just" last year as you claim.

Edit: And I'm not saying he totally sucks if you want to take that route, but I am saying his is middle of the pack.

Just borrowed this from another thread to add....

Passer Rating for seasons begun as named starter

2007 12th
2008 16th
2009 21st
2010 16th
2011 13th
2012 20th
2013 13th
2014 17th

He is being payed to be great, not average, and I think that is the problem most people have. Hell, I'd be all for keeping him around and 7-9 mil a year maybe. All his physical talent means nothing if he can't produce, and the supporting cast excuse has been gone for 2 years now. What do you think some of the better quarterbacks would have done with this offense? We were pretty much stacked to a degree, and still, nothing but the same old stuff.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The%20Vagina%20Monologues.gif

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Was he top 12 or so QBR the past years then? Because I don't recall it, and that sounds like what you are saying. I hate borrowing words from Ommy, but he has been mediocre at best. We are just use to seeing complete garbage in Chicago so it makes him seem like he is doing better than he is. I don't think many people are basing this on "just" last year as you claim.

Edit: And I'm not saying he totally sucks if you want to take that route, but I am saying his is middle of the pack.

2007 12th
2008 16th
2009 21st
2010 16th
2011 13th
2012 20th
2013 13th
2014 17th

He is being payed to be great, not average, and I think that is the problem most people have. Hell, I'd be all for keeping him around and 8-10 mil a year maybe.

:
giphy.gif

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

2007 12th
2008 16th
2009 21st
2010 16th
2011 13th
2012 20th
2013 13th
2014 17th

He is being payed to be great, not average, and I think that is the problem most people have. Hell, I'd be all for keeping him around and 7-9 mil a year maybe. All his physical talent means nothing if he can't produce, and the supporting cast excuse has been gone for 2 years now. What do you think some of the better quarterbacks would have done with this offense? We were pretty much stacked to a degree, and still, nothing but the same old stuff.

I hate Cutler's contract too but I much rather have the average to above average qb here than Mccown who sucks. Being awful doesn't help a team regardless of what position you get in the draft. As far as what other QB's would have done neither you or I know. Im hiving Flacco two years to see what he does under Trestman.

Also thank you for actually being involved in the discussion. Actually thank you to everyone whi is actually involved in the discussion. It could have been easier for u to just post pictures

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
I hate Cutler's contract too but I much rather have the average to above average qb here than Mccown who sucks. Being awful doesn't help a team regardless of what position you get in the draft. As far as what other QB's would have done neither you or I know. Im hiving Flacco two years to see what he does under Trestman.

Also thank you for actually being involved in the discussion. Actually thank you to everyone whi is actually involved in the discussion. It could have been easier for u to just post pictures

I was not referring to McCown specifically or anyone else in comparison. Just offering my reason to why most people think Jay needs to go. For the TEAM (money to output) we could probably do better. I didn't realize McCown was a part of that equation. I joke myself sometimes that he his the best QB in Bears history, but that's all it is. If that is the point you were argueing, then yeah, anyone would be an idiot to want him over Jay.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And people wanted that scrub back all because of their biblical hatred for Cutler. Calm the fuck down people and wait till a good QB is out there. The people screaming for losers like McCown just to replace what we have "just because" are the same people who were screaming to drop Rex and we ended up signing Griese to a stupid five year contract while still having Kyle and rex on the squad. Neither worked making us trade for the devil. Now we are in the same situation.

Pride, I don't understand your argument bruh.

The Bears were one of the teams bidding for McCown. That means that the Bears themselves also feel that Cutler is not the guy, that they would attempt to resign McCown who was absolutely awful last season. Is their hate for Cutler also "biblical"? It's not just fans man. It's the Bears themselves....

BEARS

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pride, I don't understand your argument bruh.

The Bears were one of the teams bidding for McCown. That means that the Bears themselves also feel that Cutler is not the guy, that they would attempt to resign McCown who was absolutely awful last season. Is their hate for Cutler also "biblical"? It's not just fans man. It's the Bears themselves....

BEARS

I doubt you know why the bears were trying to resign Mccown. If fox and pace think Mccown is a better option than jay then we are going nowhere.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Sometimes I wish Trestman would just say fuck it and stop being nice and tell the media what he thought of Cutler as a QB..

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why does everyone assume that McCown is going to be the starter in Cleveland?

Because there is no other QB there. Hoyer is gone and manziel is in rehab. Wouldnt shock me to see browns reach (again) for another qb and fail again.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Like I said, I understand why they did it. However, it would have been gutsier in my opinion to go with the 12 year vet QB who had never had much success before last year. Personally I found the Cutler decision to be the safer choice but to each his/her own.
And if last year he had chose Josh or Jay with Josh playing like he did with TB and Jay exceling with his new team, then we hate Emery and maybe he still gets fired. Josh playing bad seems realistic based on his career, but then again Jay excelling somewhere else seems pretty remote.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hence why I said I can see both sides of it.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
And if last year he had chose Josh or Jay with Josh playing like he did with TB and Jay exceling with his new team, then we hate Emery and maybe he still gets fired. Josh playing bad seems realistic based on his career, but then again Jay excelling somewhere else seems pretty remote.

More like Mccown playing like Mccown was guaranteed while jay was going to at least mediocre

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He did suck much of the time prior to last year, and I don't know what your argument for him being above average is. He's average if you include all 32 starting QBs including scrubs. If you're limiting the conversation to QBs who are regular or franchise starters (of which there are around 15-20), he's among the worst.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm still on board with Jay. Don't care.

At least you're honest by admitting you don't care. Anyone who is still "on board with Jay" is very obviously attached to him emotionally. There's no rational, logical reason to be still "on board with Jay" for anyone who cares about the Bears winning.