Demand for Josh McCown an indicator of NFL quarterback market in 2015

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He did suck much of the time prior to last year, and I don't know what your argument for him being above average is. He's average if you include all 32 starting QBs including scrubs. If you're limiting the conversation to QBs who are regular or franchise starters (of which there are around 15-20), he's among the worst.

I really dont value anything you say about qb's. You accuse those who you disagree with of having an emotional attachment to whomever while never checking your own emotions. If you think all Cutler has done is suck his time here than this conversation is better left aline

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really dont value anything you say about qb's. You accuse those who you disagree with of having an emotional attachment to whomever while never checking your own emotions. If you think all Cutler has done is suck his time here than this conversation is better left aline

I'm not one of the guy who thinks we should all stop talking about Jay Cutler, or ban those discussions to the dreaded Jay Cutler Forum. The guy is playing the most important position in positional sports and he was the NFL's highest-paid player last year, so he's obviously deserving of a lot of debate. And there's new people here all the time, so what a poster with 10,000 posts might have talked about 6 months ago hasn't necessarily been discussed by those of us under 1,000. The guys that bitch and moan about Cutler threads or derail them all with gifs get on my nerves more than just about anybody here, though I'm sure they couldn't care less about that.

What I don't understand, however, is how there's still anybody left for those of us who have given up on "Cutty" to debate with. Cutler's do-or-die season was last year, and he was a tremendous flop. Name me another player in all of sports who has ever gotten that sort of contract and found himself on the bench before the end of the season? It is over. It was, in my opinion, after 2012, but the Bears chose to extend Cutler that year, then undeservedly reward him in 2014. But that's the past. What matters now is that he proved himself no better than average with the entire team built around him. And average quarterbacks don't make $16-22 million. It's that simple.

Additionally, with a new regime in place, it is time to look to the future. A 32 year old quarterback is not the future. Cutler's time has passed. It's difficult for me to understand how people cannot see that, even his fans. Yes, it's sad that it didn't work out for him here in Chicago. But it's over.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I don't think all he's ever done is suck. He's had nice flashes, but his Bears career has been overwhelmingly disappointing and frustrating more than anything else.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm not one of the guy who thinks we should all stop talking about Jay Cutler, or ban those discussions to the dreaded Jay Cutler Forum. The guy is playing the most important position in positional sports and he was the NFL's highest-paid player last year, so he's obviously deserving of a lot of debate. And there's new people here all the time, so what a poster with 10,000 posts might have talked about 6 months ago hasn't necessarily been discussed by those of us under 1,000. The guys that bitch and moan about Cutler threads or derail them all with gifs get on my nerves more than just about anybody here, though I'm sure they couldn't care less about that.

What I don't understand, however, is how there's still anybody left for those of us who have given up on "Cutty" to debate with. Cutler's do-or-die season was last year, and he was a tremendous flop. Name me another player in all of sports who has ever gotten that sort of contract and found himself on the bench before the end of the season? It is over. It was, in my opinion, after 2012, but the Bears chose to extend Cutler that year, then undeservedly reward him in 2014. But that's the past. What matters now is that he proved himself no better than average with the entire team built around him. And average quarterbacks don't make $16-22 million. It's that simple.

Additionally, with a new regime in place, it is time to look to the future. A 32 year old quarterback is not the future. Cutler's time has passed. It's difficult for me to understand how people cannot see that, even his fans. Yes, it's sad that it didn't work out for him here in Chicago. But it's over.

out of curiosity, why do you think last year was cutlers "do or die season?"

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't think all he's ever done is suck. He's had nice flashes, but his Bears career has been overwhelmingly disappointing and frustrating more than anything else.

I think that sums up the bears in general the last decade though

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think that sums up the bears in general the last decade though

Oh come on. You're another fanboy (I think it's pretty much just you, PIB, HBK, Desbro and that 3rd and long guy left), so you're trying to cover his inadequacy by generalizing. The fact is, dollar for dollar there's nobody on the Bears save maybe Jared Allen who has given such pathetic production for their investment. As a QB, he's overwhelmingly sucked.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Let me help you understand. Every thread has tge potential to become about Cutler and they always wind up the same way with the same posters saying the same thing thats why tgey are exiled into the cutler forum.

Jay has been the topic of discussion since 2009 by the same people saying the same things and ends up the same way. This wss before his first entension which wasnt 2012 or the latest one. No one likes Cutler's contract but rational people arent going to go full Special person and just want anybody but cutler.

Point blank there are too many irrational people who constantly bring up jay making it an annoying subject for others. They usually are hypocritical in what they say and dont and wont acknowledge it. You can talk about jay till u die but what will change? You are irrational which is why the topic needs to die

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Considering the fact that you are known for basically saying cutler sucks I dont believe you. I agree that his career has been disappointing. We wanted a elite qb, we didnt get one

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry I would gladly take McCown at 5 million a year and drafting No 1 in the draft over Cutler at 22.5 million a year so we could have the privilege of drafting 7th.

It has nothing to do with biblical hatred of Cutler. It has to do with the simple fact he is not worth his salary. It's not even close right now. I get why Trestman and Emery gambled on Cutler but it fucking cost them their jobs so let's not pretend like there isn't ample justification for McCown over Cutler unless you like paying 22.5 million to miss the playoffs and getting everyone fired.
Why? How? It was an idiotic gamble given the data and available options

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Personally, I appreciate that that Emery and Trestman had the balls to put it all on the line. They went all in and lost and paid the price. But I prefer that to half assed limping along through 3 more years of 8 to 10 win seasons and no playoffs only to wind up exactly where we are right now.

There was no reason to give Cutler a multi-year extension. None.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh come on. You're another fanboy (I think it's pretty much just you, PIB, HBK, Desbro and that 3rd and long guy left), so you're trying to cover his inadequacy by generalizing. The fact is, dollar for dollar there's nobody on the Bears save maybe Jared Allen who has given such pathetic production for their investment. As a QB, he's overwhelmingly sucked.

The fanboy label. Used since 09

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The fanboy label. Used since 09

:shrug: can't blame me for that. I didn't leave the bandwagon until January '11. In 2009 I was arguing with Packer Fan that he would end up being better than Rodgers.

Take it from a reformed fanboy: it gets better.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

the QB position is constantly overpaid in the NFL...Cutler isn't alone in that. and so you can ignore the rather mediocre overall team they have been for quite some time now, but not willing to overlook that cutler has been mediocre for some time now? that seems fair. im okay with them UPGRADING from cutler, but im not willing to just get rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him. unless you are advocating an entire blow up and rebuild? then it can make some sense

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
:shrug: can't blame me for that. I didn't leave the bandwagon until January '11. In 2009 I was arguing with Packer Fan that he would end up being better than Rodgers.

By better you mean coming on here to bitch and be a hypocrite about the bears qb ill gladly stick it out as a fanboy. Maybe one day you will get that mystical perfect qb

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

LOL holy shit.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
By better you mean coming on here to bitch and be a hypocrite about the bears qb ill gladly stick it out as a fanboy. Maybe one day you will get that mystical perfect qb
What's hypocritical?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I'd settle for a QB that is consistently good to well above average.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL holy shit.
At that time Cutler and Rodgers were widely considered to be potential future elite QBs. Nobody knew how good Rodgers would be or how bad Cutler was.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At that time Cutler and Rodgers were widely considered to be potential future elite QBs. Nobody knew how good Rodgers would be or how bad Cutler was.

In 2009 Cutler lead the NFL in picks. Or are you saying before the year?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In 2009 Cutler lead the NFL in picks. Or are you saying before the year?
I'm talking about right after the trade when everyone was excited, including me.