Did Mitch improve from Game 1 to Game 2?

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Setting aside all the elements I attribute to inexperience and system learning curve, I do have a couple very significant concerns with Mitch: he doesn’t seem to have any “it” or intangibles, and he doesn’t have the type of touch and passing accuracy that playoff QBs typically have.

I think his ceiling is average starting QB, floor is a shitty starting QB. Regardless, at least we drafted a starting-caliber QB.....could be way worse.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The majority of NFL games every week hinge on a couple plays. It's a GOOD thing our team was the one making them
I want to see the offense give the kill shot. They can't always rely on the defense. This week it worked out. Last week, fuller dropped it. Both games, however, when the momentum was shifting, the offense got the ball, and went three and out. They did it twice in GB when the defense desperately needed a break. I wanted to see Mitch respond this week, and he didn't. That's what has me nervous about him, and the offense in general.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Before the season started i thought both the offense and defense would stumble a bit out the blocks but that we`d see improvement over the first 4 games. The defense has played great far sooner than it thought and i believe is only going to get better as the season goes on. The offense has struggled as i thought they would but i do see the talent to be not just a managable offense but a pretty good one. Its just going to take time. I think the offense will be fine and Trubs is just going through what a lot of growing pains young qbs go through. Lets see what the tune the Trub haters are going to be singing when he puts up his first 300 yard game.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Setting aside all the elements I attribute to inexperience and system learning curve, I do have a couple very significant concerns with Mitch: he doesn’t seem to have any “it” or intangibles, and he doesn’t have the type of touch and passing accuracy that playoff QBs typically have.

I think his ceiling is average starting QB, floor is a shitty starting QB. Regardless, at least we drafted a starting-caliber QB.....could be way worse.
Yup. I can live with whatever mistakes he's making. Fine with the ints, not really bad decisions. Didn't like the almost int, but he should learn from that. It's when the game is on the line. I was somewhat glad to see him in the situation again, and it's not like the bears are losing either. They are in the lead with the chance to put the game away, and not even converting first downs. That is extremely concerning to me.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard that, I'm just not buying it. Why would they do that? Because of all the deep success the Bears had prior? Because they were protecting a lead?

If you watched the game the underneath stuff was wide open...whether you choose to believe it or not....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The bears D is getting wrecked by no huddle offenses, and the bears O can't move the ball after the script. There's nothing over the course of these two games so far that suggest it would be different.

the were playing prevent and giving up the middle of the field....do you think they would have played different if it was a one score game?

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Mitch has the 31st YPA in the nfl right now. I'd call that incompetent. Even last night, it was under six. They look great on the scripted plays. Not so much after. I'm fine with most of the mistakes. It's how they look late in the game I'm not fine with. Like I said, without prince's pick six, we might be looking at back to back double digit collapses.

Fair point, but it will get better. It can only go up from here. And if you are gonna say that about Prince's pick six, then you also have to say if Fuller held on to his pick, we would have avoided a collapse last week.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I want to see the offense give the kill shot. They can't always rely on the defense. This week it worked out. Last week, fuller dropped it. Both games, however, when the momentum was shifting, the offense got the ball, and went three and out. They did it twice in GB when the defense desperately needed a break. I wanted to see Mitch respond this week, and he didn't. That's what has me nervous about him, and the offense in general.

I was wanting that as well on our last drive. Instead of 3 straight runs to run down the clock, on 2nd down, go play action. Roll Trubisky out and let him make the decision to pass or run. Just don't try to force it, and the clock keeps running no matter what.

But the play call was passive and all about taking a few seconds off the clock and hope...

yttocs

Liked Posts:
I was wanting that as well on our last drive. Instead of 3 straight runs to run down the clock, on 2nd down, go play action. Roll Trubisky out and let him make the decision to pass or run. Just don't try to force it, and the clock keeps running no matter what.

But the play call was passive and all about taking a few seconds off the clock and hope...
But if it’s incomplete clock stops?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
But if it’s incomplete clock stops?

If it isn't open, just dont throw it. The end result of the play wouldn't have been worse than running Howard for a loss. And at least there would be a chance at something more...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mitch has the 31st YPA in the nfl right now. I'd call that incompetent. Even last night, it was under six. They look great on the scripted plays. Not so much after. I'm fine with most of the mistakes. It's how they look late in the game I'm not fine with. Like I said, without prince's pick six, we might be looking at back to back double digit collapses.

That is the offense. They throw a ton of short passes. The difference in KC is they generated enourmous amounts of YAC.

Mitch has not been good. But his 4th quarter drive yesterday for a TD was his best of the season. Off scripted plays, bouncing back from a mediocre 1st half, needing a score to preserve the lead.

Without Anthony Miller’s drop Mitch throws 3 TDs.
Without Fuller’s drop they are 2-0.

You can pick and choose plays to discount.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
Yes.

I saw improvised, successful plays from Mitch in Game 2 that we didn’t see in Game 1.

He threw for 2 touchdowns.

Unlike in Game 1, this time, when the Bears ABSOLUTELY needed another score to keep Seattle at bay, he led his team down the field and got a touchdown on a pretty pass going the opposite of his natural rollout direction.

He was one unlucky tipped pass away from a 95+ QB rating.

Doesn’t mean he doesn’t still have a bunch to work on. But he was better last night than against the Packers. The proof is in the pudding.

I am not finding argument with your post. Just want to hear where you saw improvised, successful plays. I am in no way saying there weren't any. I want to be sure I realize all that he is doing better. Thank you.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
The bears D is getting wrecked by no huddle offenses, and the bears O can't move the ball after the script. There's nothing over the course of these two games so far that suggest it would be different.

Fangio must know this too. I wonder how we can counteract the no huddle offenses?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They are not ready for kill shots it is their 2nd game together. Both weeks they had 4th quarter scoring drives to give the Bears a 2 score lead. Those are both positives for a young offense. Give this defense 2 score leads in the 4th quarter and they are going to beat everyone except god mode Aaron Rodgers.

If every game this offense hands a 2 score lead in the 4th quarter the Bears are going to the playoffs.

They had 1 real drive in the 4th quarter after the TD and it was killed by a Gabriel false start.

They had 3, 3 and outs all game. 2 were effected by WR penalties and the other was them killing the clock.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not finding argument with your post. Just want to hear where you saw improvised, successful plays. I am in no way saying there weren't any. I want to be sure I realize all that he is doing better. Thank you.

Role out to avoid pressure 17 yard completion to Cohen
Roll left 15 yard completion to Miller (negated by penalty)
17 yard 3rd Down scramble
Roll right avoiding rush TD throw to Miller that was dropped

Those were 4 Big improvised playst

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It hasn’t been good on offense. Really no one has been really good.

But this is the beginning. Even if Trubisky is not elite he will improve. The entire offensive operation will improve. They may not be the Chiefs but they will be better than they are today.

We saw a marked improvement in the little details, in the snapping, in the play calling, and although small in the QB. Everyone on offense was better, far from perfect, but better.
, in

Toast88

Liked Posts:

On his couple of impromptu first down runs.

On his scramble where he just kind of flicked up a floating pass to Cohen along the sideline for a medium gain and a first down. (That was a really awesome play.)

There was a play where he was getting blitzed right off the snap and just immediately without thinking launched it straight forward into Burton for a gain of a handful of yards.

I’m sure there were a few others I can’t think of right now.

Point being, the dude is making adjustments. He *is* getting better, little bit by little bit. But QB progression is not a straight line. He could just as easily throw for 0 TDs next week and look bad, then throw for a couple against the Bucs and have his best game. Grooming a young QB is an up-and-down long venture sometimes.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
the were playing prevent and giving up the middle of the field....do you think they would have played different if it was a one score game?

You mean, like in the Packers game?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
They are not ready for kill shots it is their 2nd game together. Both weeks they had 4th quarter scoring drives to give the Bears a 2 score lead. Those are both positives for a young offense. Give this defense 2 score leads in the 4th quarter and they are going to beat everyone except god mode Aaron Rodgers.

If every game this offense hands a 2 score lead in the 4th quarter the Bears are going to the playoffs.

They had 1 real drive in the 4th quarter after the TD and it was killed by a Gabriel false start.

They had 3, 3 and outs all game. 2 were effected by WR penalties and the other was them killing the clock.

You can't tell me that they aren't ready to go down and kick a FG to win in GB, or go down and kick a FG to go up two scores against seattle. Those aren't even kill shots, but they would kill momentum for the opposing team, and put the game away. They should be good enough to put together a drive when the momentum is shifting. They are not getting first downs when the defense needs a break. And it's how they are doing it. You can complain about Gabriel's false start all you want, it shouldn't have been 2nd and 10, it should've been second and 2, but Trubisky missed an open Robinson with a horrible throw. And it's not like this is the first time we've seen him do this. The plays are there to be made.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Push.

Yes throwing for more than one TD was great, but both picks were ugly as sin. This is an offense that is supposed to want to push the ball down the field and Mitchell's deep ball still looks really bad.

I do give him credit for keeping it together in the second half, but he should be buying the defense steak dinners every week.

The two interceptions were the right reads, he just needed to put more air on the ball to Robinson. The 2nd pick was a batted ball, that happens. The play I am concerned about is the throw into triple coverage in the end zone that should have been picked. The thing is he has come out and played well on the opening series both games and then regressed both games. He did have the nice td drive to Miller on Monday. He also had the bad overthrow to Gabriel that would have been 6. I think right now he just needs a confidence game booster to get rolling. Hopefully Arizona is just the right opponent.