Did Mitch improve from Game 1 to Game 2?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
No - he did not improve.

Let's just all take a second to remember that his first "TD PASS" came on a trick=play shuffle pass. Yes, technically the ball went forward, so it was a "pass". But, come on...

Both Int's were on him. Should have been 3.

Still has happy feet. In fact, I'd say they're getting worse.

Badly overthrown passes to wide open receivers.

Missed seeing wide open receivers.

Missed hot reads and mismatches all over the place.

And all this at home, where the crowd was quiet when we were on O playing against a D that was beat the fuck up, without their best player, and no where near as good as the Packers D.

No. Trubisky did not get better. He got worse.

I'm not seeing any of the expected talent we drafted. And not seeing any real improvement from a guy who now as 14 NFL starts under his belt.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Slight improvement. He doesn't trust what he's seeing and bails out of clean pockets way too quickly. Looks like a more athletic Kyle Orton at this point.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's not regressing as much as his flaws are being exposed. His flaws were masked by design by Fox. They knew what he was and wasn't capable of. I think this is why so many posters are surprised that he sucks (for now). They honestly thought Fox was handcuffing a young talent like Andrew Luck or something.

To answer your question: push. He's the same from week 1 to 2.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Just listened to brad biggs on the score. Said, Mitchell was only 25 of 34 for 200 yards. Said he could have done much better. He put the ball in good enough position for 27 completions out of 34 passes. two to the other team. Biggs said, there was no reason he should not have been 30/34.

Talk about asking too much. a 90% completion rate would have been acceptable? How many of those games do you see? I think I heard Mack say "We got your back" more than once. The defense before the 4th quarter prevent deal is plenty for this team to have a QB only throw for 200 yards.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Just listened to brad biggs on the score. Said, Mitchell was only 25 of 34 for 200 yards. Said he could have done much better. He put the ball in good enough position for 27 completions out of 34 passes. two to the other team. Biggs said, there was no reason he should not have been 30/34.

Talk about asking too much. a 90% completion rate would have been acceptable? How many of those games do you see? I think I heard Mack say "We got your back" more than once. The defense before the 4th quarter prevent deal is plenty for this team to have a QB only throw for 200 yards.

I won't be satisfied until Mitch throws 6 TD's in 6 minutes. Until then, he's a bust.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Played a worse defense, and was managed a bit differently by Nagy. He is getting a lot of praise for the last scoring drive, in which the three pass's he threw leading up to the TD all traveled 5-6 yards or less in the air. The TD throw itself was the one thing I saw as a big positive to that drive, other than that Nagy was pulling every stop out of the book (+1 for Nagy). Would have been interesting to see how he did had Prince not intercepted that pass.

So, no, he did not play better, but Nagy did COACH better. I would say about the same.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Again Mitch showed that he can escape pressure when the pocket collapses. The issue is that once he escapes he rushes things. He needs to slow down and let his receivers get open. I think he was the same as week 1. Good 1st half, bad 2nd half. This team may really have to run Howard 25 times a game to keep the D fresh.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Badly overthrown passes to wide open receivers.

Missed seeing wide open receivers.

Missed hot reads and mismatches all over the place.

This is the stuff that concerns me. The lack of accuracy on deeper balls and the bewildering lack of awareness/vision in terms of seeing the field and seeing the plays develop.

I know he has a great attitude and I'm sure he works extremely hard, so my concern is that he simply can't be more than a one-read QB. If that's the case, we're in a lot of trouble.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Simple question..... Did Mitch improve from Game 1 to Game 2 in YOUR personal opinion?

If YES..... why?

If NO..... why not?

And to be fair I guess "stayed the same" can also be an option here as well.

And I don't care if you hate or love Trubisky, that doesn't really matter for this. It's just simply..... did he improve? Or not?

To begin with, the choices are only Got Better and Did Not Get Better. If he stayed the same, he still did not get better.

Secondly, he got better.

Not being completely scared is an improvement.

Yes, the first interception seemed to come from him over-throwing receivers during the preseason and him not wanting to over-throw the receiver. His throwing motion was not very powerful. He does not have a super strong arm but he could have easily put more mustard on the throw.

The second interception was poor in that there were two linebackers sitting back where he was going to throw the quick slant. He should have gone elsewhere.

The throw into the endzone where the pass was knocked down was his worst pass of all. It was a terrible pass into triple coverage and could have been a pick 6 of 100 yards.

He could have completely folded in the second half after his first half performance, but he ran the offense adequately to win the game. Adequately is far from well. He needs to improve a lot.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Again Mitch showed that he can escape pressure when the pocket collapses. The issue is that once he escapes he rushes things. He needs to slow down and let his receivers get open. I think he was the same as week 1. Good 1st half, bad 2nd half. This team may really have to run Howard 25 times a game to keep the D fresh.

huh? Mitch played better in the 2nd half. That 1st half was some of the worst QB play I've seen. Even the first drive where he scored he almost threw a pick.

Also, Bears are 2nd in TOP, 3rd in plays per drive. The Defense should be plenty fresh...

Monster

Liked Posts:
I have high hopes for Mitch but this was worse.
Last week he looked in control the first half.
He never looked confident this week.

I imagine he’s placing a ton of pressure on himself and it shows. Sometimes a hard start to a career is a good thing. I hope that’s the case here. I think getting the W will help. He needs to calm down.

The D on the other hand is the real deal and only going to get better. This team can win games if Mitch can smooth it out.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
from a stat and technical standpoint he did improve.....his footwork was a little more consistent and he saw open receivers better....

statwise he had a higher completion percentage, his yards per attempt was higher, total yards higher and TDs higher.....obviously he had a few miscues throwing the ball but it was a bit more aggressive play....I'll take more aggressive over too conservative, especially with this defense.

Anyone who does not believe he improved from week one to week two is either trying to deluding themselves or other or they just don't understand the fundamentals of football.

Spirit Hartigan

Liked Posts:
Like many on here, I think he played better, but only marginally. He looked a little more composed and held things together in the second half compared to the first game. He's got a ton of work to do to get to that level when he is the difference maker. I still have hope that he can do it, but it's going to take a lot longer than I first anticipated.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
from a stat and technical standpoint he did improve.....his footwork was a little more consistent and he saw open receivers better....

statwise he had a higher completion percentage, his yards per attempt was higher, total yards higher and TDs higher.....obviously he had a few miscues throwing the ball but it was a bit more aggressive play....I'll take more aggressive over too conservative, especially with this defense.

Anyone who does not believe he improved from week one to week two is either trying to deluding themselves or other or they just don't understand the fundamentals of football.

I think a case can be made for both sides. That's why I posted the question. It's actually been a good thread.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are going to throw picks, do it down the field on third down.....

the batted ball sucked but shit like that happens...as he gets more playing experience that should lessen. The ball thrown into the endzone for an "almost INT" was also unfortunate but QBs get away with those every once in a while*

*see Aaron Rodgers last week against Fuller

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe improved, didn’t digress. Missed a couple of big throws and the long ball int just can’t happen. They can take their time with him as long as they have this defense.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think a case can be made for both sides. That's why I posted the question. It's actually been a good thread.

You could make a case that he played better last week because of more sustained drives but you'd be fooling yourself into thinking that Trubisky played better last week from a technical standpoint...he did not.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
huh? Mitch played better in the 2nd half. That 1st half was some of the worst QB play I've seen. Even the first drive where he scored he almost threw a pick.

Also, Bears are 2nd in TOP, 3rd in plays per drive. The Defense should be plenty fresh...

this is where I see him growing...he is stringing together drives

I saw some beautiful throws from him last night that not all qbs can make...the td to miller rolling to his left was pure perfection...i'll bet you there are some vets who can't make that throw on the move

BUT

there were some things that irritated me....he had a rpo and he had a hole and tried to take it outside and got burned, he had a 1st down had he gone through the hole...he had another scramble and hit the deck prior to the 1st down...potentially game threatening

the long INT...I am not butthurt about that...the tipped one...that happens..

to me what was UNACCEPTABLE...the miss to Jordan Howard...a professional QB cannot miss that throw....
the miss to a wide open Gabriel would have been a huge gash play...he has to make that throw

the pass into the end zone that should have been picked....horrendous

I think Grossman prior to getting hurt was a better passer than this kid but you have to give it to mitch, he's one hell of an athlete...I'll keep saying it, he's the white cam newton...the kid can run like a running back on meth..he can throw on the run...but how do they fix his brain?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Simple question..... Did Mitch improve from Game 1 to Game 2 in YOUR personal opinion?

If YES..... why?

If NO..... why not?

And to be fair I guess "stayed the same" can also be an option here as well.

And I don't care if you hate or love Trubisky, that doesn't really matter for this. It's just simply..... did he improve? Or not?

I can't say i saw much if any improvement from him last night. The first INT we don't know if that was supposed to be a jump ball or if he was trying to throw it past the CB to AR12. Either way it was under thrown but just much more under thrown if he was trying to throw it past the CB. The 2nd one was a tipped ball by a d-lineman so still Mitch's fault but not all that bad but the one in the end zone that should of been a INT was the worst of all of them.

So no improvement for me but starting off with two prime time games is tough so i'm interested in what he'll do Sunday.