Did Mitch improve from Game 1 to Game 2?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just listened to brad biggs on the score. Said, Mitchell was only 25 of 34 for 200 yards. Said he could have done much better. He put the ball in good enough position for 27 completions out of 34 passes. two to the other team. Biggs said, there was no reason he should not have been 30/34.

Talk about asking too much. a 90% completion rate would have been acceptable? How many of those games do you see? I think I heard Mack say "We got your back" more than once. The defense before the 4th quarter prevent deal is plenty for this team to have a QB only throw for 200 yards.

Its cool that we aren't lumping too much pressure...90% completion ratings are the norm.......

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think he regressed a bit. Missed a wide open TD with Burton last week, spoke about it at a press conference and then proceeded to throw a terrible pass in the end zone to someone more covered than Burton.

His accuracy at times appeared to get worse and this is a guy who in Fox's shit offense with shit WRs had great accuracy on intermediate throws. Now he looks like Steve Walsh on anything beyond 7 yards.

Finally while his overall numbers showed improvement, we scored 17 points on O against a completely banged up D. That is simply unacceptable. That was a team you hang 31 points on not rely on defensive scores to pull it out.

Monster

Liked Posts:
I should also say I’m not worried...
This all looks like he’s to amped up and feeling the pressure. As the season pans out I think we will see him calm down as play improves.

A half game out of first and moving the right direction with a young team is a lot to be happy about. It’s fun watching the Bears again.
I’m grateful for that....

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Again Mitch showed that he can escape pressure when the pocket collapses. The issue is that once he escapes he rushes things. He needs to slow down and let his receivers get open. I think he was the same as week 1. Good 1st half, bad 2nd half. This team may really have to run Howard 25 times a game to keep the D fresh.

Mitch escapes the pocket even when it doesn't collapse...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mitch escapes the pocket even when it doesn't collapse...

Is it really escaping when that is what you always wanted to do?

Trubs at times looks like his plan is to find a way to get outside the pocket. He looks far more comfortable outside the pocket than in.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I can't say i saw much if any improvement from him last night. The first INT we don't know if that was supposed to be a jump ball or if he was trying to throw it past the CB to AR12. Either way it was under thrown but just much more under thrown if he was trying to throw it past the CB. The 2nd one was a tipped ball by a d-lineman so still Mitch's fault but not all that bad but the one in the end zone that should of been a INT was the worst of all of them.

So no improvement for me but starting off with two prime time games is tough so i'm interested in what he'll do Sunday.

Oh and the tipped ball was not a INT. That ball hit the ground.

Rgrigutis

Liked Posts:
I think he improved but he’s also playing under some system constraints. Instead of playing instinctively he’s going thru reads. Too much info to process and ball comes out late or inaccurate. Also I thought his runs were tentative. The one where he went outside when inside was open for probably a first down and then later he just slid 4 or5 short of the first down. Don’t know if he’d have converted either but I think you fight for all you can get. He’s a good enough athlete to design some qb runs. Or Nagy has told him to avoid all unnecessary contact, don’t know. Still it’s just two games in this system. Sometimes you just have to do rather than think

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I think he regressed a bit. Missed a wide open TD with Burton last week, spoke about it at a press conference and then proceeded to throw a terrible pass in the end zone to someone more covered than Burton.

His accuracy at times appeared to get worse and this is a guy who in Fox's shit offense with shit WRs had great accuracy on intermediate throws. Now he looks like Steve Walsh on anything beyond 7 yards.

Finally while his overall numbers showed improvement, we scored 17 points on O against a completely banged up D. That is simply unacceptable. That was a team you hang 31 points on not rely on defensive scores to pull it out.

this is what's scaring me, he looked more relaxed and accurate (and confident) last year

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I should also say I’m not worried...
This all looks like he’s to amped up and feeling the pressure. As the season pans out I think we will see him calm down as play improves.

A half game out of first and moving the right direction with a young team is a lot to be happy about. It’s fun watching the Bears again.
I’m grateful for that....

imagine Fuller making that INT in the first game.....2-0 would be reality....even with the kid...this is a lot like 2006 except I think Grossman was better until Dennis Green gave the league the blueprint on Grossman in the Arizona game

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
this is what's scaring me, he looked more relaxed and accurate (and confident) last year

Yeah starting to look like Loggains was hamstrung by Trubs rather than the other way around. The dumbed down offense may have been dumbed down because Trubs couldn't handle more.

The good thing now is we have a D that can perhaps withstand Trubs scuffling through something more complex.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky regressed to me. The two overthrows to Howard and Gabriel were not good. The underthrow for INT to Robinson was a good read but you can't underthrow that ball. The should have been INT in the end zone was Cutleresque.

All in all I see a guy who is limited in what he can do as a QB, at least at this time. When he gets contained in the pocket without an escape route he wets himself. Teams will gameplan this and if Mitch doesn't improve his pocket presence he will be a big hindrance to the Bears making the playoffs this season. This team is built to win now with competent QB play.

I do like to see Nagy remain aggressive and not go John Fox on us. Let Mitch sink or swim. If Mitch can't do it then give Chase a chance.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think he improved but he has fundamental things he needs to get fixed. Improvement came in the form of him looking more comfortable overall, he executed some tricky plays well in his command of his supporting cast, and he bounced back from his mistakes better than last week. It really looks like Nagy is not really working at developing him as a traditional QB as much as trying to get him to execute his "exotic" offense that looks like it might be pretty fun to watch as he and his entire offensive personnel put it all together, but I'm pretty sure these deep strikes are a part of the offense and the major flaw Mitchell is dealing with as a QB, which limits the offensive development overall IMO. It's definitely a work in progress and coupled with Mitchell's struggles I hope that it doesn't stunt his growth as a QB...

Still don't know why he has this problem throwing to the left, and now he's side-arming his throws to the right. Weird.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The improvement I saw this week was the play calling. I think Nagy put more on Mitch and called for less screens. Mitch didn't respond well.

What worries me is when they will inevitably be playing from behind. Mitch can win a ball control game like next week against the Cards. What about a shootout game like week 4 might be against the Bucs.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Did Mitch improve, not in my opinion. He still has issues looking downfield. That's his hurdle to overcome, he can't see the field well or make the reads. The throw yesterday to the endzone was most horrible. there was no bear around it, but there were two Seattle defenders. Luckily it didn't get picked for his third INT. I saw no improvement with his vision of the field, the third down run that looked as if he had five yards to run on the inside and instead ran outside right into a defender was quite perplexing to me. If the Prince doesn't get the pick six, I'm not sure the Bears win the game. His overall field presence is not good, he doesn't change up his cadence at the line. They were timing him. It's how he got sacked twice.

An honest person would say Mitch did not improve, nor did he give any sign he would. I'm honestly concerned the game is too fast for him. Just me, but for a number two pick, I expect more.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
He improved a touch. He missed open throws last game that's a wash from g1 to g2. On the escapes he stops looking downfield except when it's out to the side. Wash.

The forced throw into the end zone was the biggest concern as that was pure Cutlerish. And a harken back to the last Lions game.

However this game Mitch got free blitzed & and sacked but came back later & faced down another free blitz to hit the hot read behind the blitzer. THAT was something that took Cutler many years to ever do.

He made some good short throws & a nice TD to Miller.

He needs a lot of work on touch passing over the shoulder.
Needs to never stop looking downfield even up the middle.
And he has no feel for the pocket.

All fixable.
I still feel the Buccs game is his turning point.
Blocking needs to gel better by then too.

During g4 vs Buccs gonna need to see that downfield stuff looking much better. Footwork under control. And a better feel for the pocket.

Just growth in the system

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
2 Bears in the corner of the end zone. The problem was that throw needed a touch pass to the corner over the underneath defemders but all he had was a blazer he tried to rifle in between. Lack of touch is a must fix

Reactions: Myk

jc456

Liked Posts:
One other thing that caught my eye last night, and not sure if it was just me, but his throws seemed awkward. Like he wasn't throwing normal. Maybe just me, but that's what it seemed like.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I think he regressed. He didn't make poor decisions against GB. Against Seattle, he made a few. He also missed easy throws again. Those have to be automatic completions. His tendency to break out of the pocket for no apparent reason is a nasty habit. I'm not sure this can be corrected by Nagy during the season.

The worst part is that Mitch can't throw a deep ball. This is something you can't teach either. Some guys can do it while others cannot. I think Mitch's ceiling right now is gonna be a Trent Dilfer type where the defense is going to have to do it all and then some. Unfortunately, this sets up the Bears to have a very limited window for being a competitive team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think he regressed. He didn't make poor decisions against GB. Against Seattle, he made a few. He also missed easy throws again. Those have to be automatic completions. His tendency to break out of the pocket for no apparent reason is a nasty habit. I'm not sure this can be corrected by Nagy during the season.

The worst part is that Mitch can't throw a deep ball. This is something you can't teach either. Some guys can do it while others cannot. I think Mitch's ceiling right now is gonna be a Trent Dilfer type where the defense is going to have to do it all and then some. Unfortunately, this sets up the Bears to have a very limited window for being a competitive team.

He was one of the most efficient deep ball throwers last season.

He is struggling right now to connect with guys downfield, but it is not like he cannot do it.