Disappointed with Dexter

BearsGr8

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
When the Bears passed on Carter, I was hoping that Poles had found a hidden gem with Dexter. I watched his reps closely in the Colts game and saw little to supply me that hope.

He shows no ability to power rush, and the opposing OL have little trouble pushing him backwards or to the side forcing him out of the play. What's worse, he doesn't show any aggressiveness; he has no motor or energy. He's slow to pick himself off the ground, as if he's tired, and he doesn't pursue the play until the whistle blows. I saw a few plays where if he had continued to pursue, he would have been a factor in the current snap.

When you watch Pickens, it's not hard to see an NFL player. Dexter not so much. I believe Pickens will end up being the better player. It's not too hard to envision Dexter being a bust.

Right now my hope is that I'm wrong and Dexter eventually "gets it".

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He actually had an ok game last night. It didn't show up in the stat sheet but he was pushing thru the line on a few occassions and helped disrupt some pass plays up the middle.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He played fine last night, better than in week one. Had at least three pressures and was generally more disruptive than last week.

He really doesn't use his hands at all, and still plays too high. But he is powerful and athletic. I wouldn't expect alot of pass rush this year, but I think he will be fine as a run down guy and an occasional pocket pusher.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
When the Bears passed on Carter, I was hoping that Poles had found a hidden gem with Dexter. I watched his reps closely in the Colts game and saw little to supply me that hope.

He shows no ability to power rush, and the opposing OL have little trouble pushing him backwards or to the side forcing him out of the play. What's worse, he doesn't show any aggressiveness; he has no motor or energy. He's slow to pick himself off the ground, as if he's tired, and he doesn't pursue the play until the whistle blows. I saw a few plays where if he had continued to pursue, he would have been a factor in the current snap.

When you watch Pickens, it's not hard to see an NFL player. Dexter not so much. I believe Pickens will end up being the better player. It's not too hard to envision Dexter being a bust.

I wouldn’t consider a late second round pick a bust if he turns out to be just serviceable. But, I agree with your assessment that Pickens looks better. I even felt that way after comparing their college highlights after the draft.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Pickens has better college highlights, in part because he was asked to do something that generates more highlights. He also has way more lowlights, but those are harder to find.

Cyphered

Liked Posts:
He actually had an ok game last night. It didn't show up in the stat sheet but he was pushing thru the line on a few occassions and helped disrupt some pass plays up the middle.
It was an improvement over the first game for sure. He has a few splashes here and there, but I get what the op is saying. He does look a little low energy at times, and consistently plays way too high. It almost feels like he's still trying to stack and shed like he's 2 gapping. He's strong as an ox, but can't get any leverage due to his pad level. Which is a testament to his functional strength because he frequently manages to get push regardless. Jury's still out, but I wouldn't pin too much hope on him this year. Just too much to correct in his game for one season.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’m probably the most vocal hater of the Dexter pick over the center JMS. That said Dexter was getting off the ball much faster last night compared to week 1 and that is what you want to see from him, improvement week to week. Not sure why you saw it differently.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
He’s still a project, although his size and athleticism gives him tools to be effective on some snaps right away, I think he’s not going to really shine until he develops his technique (he has almost none right now). That’s not going to be year 1, That doesn’t mean he will be useless but I think people need to temper expectations for his rookie year. Also don’t think the Carter comparisons are ever going to be apt, Dexters comp to me is Grover Stewart - think he will be best as 1 tech/NT for most snaps.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Dexter first 12 plays below. Not sure what you were watching but Dexter played well last night.

first play - held his ground
second play - got good pressure up the middle
third play - screen play so all defensive lineman were allowed to go free
fourth play - double teamed on a pass rush. pass went out quick
fifth play - pushed his guy straight back, very good pressure
sixth play - held his ground on a run play, was in on the tackle
seventh play - another screen play where dlineman were allowed to go free
eighth play - quick pass so did not have time to do much
ninth play - run opposite of his direction. held his position.
tenth play - run play, held his ground and him and Pickens were both in on the tackle.
eleventh play - in the backfield on a short down play, almost made the tackle. This was a great rep by him.
twelfth play - this is the play where he had the QB and just missed the sack.

Liked Posts:
I was fine with the Dline last night. The only real gripe I had was the DCs refusal to call full press man under coverages against Minshew going checkdown charlie off from 1 and 3 step drops.

Your front 4 isnt going to get any pressure against QB checking it down within 2 seconds of getting the snap against the underbelly of the zones.

Poles vested noticeable talent into the secondary over the past 2 offseasons.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's still playing like he was taught at Florida; he gets into the OL's chest then sheds. He actually does that pretty effectively. Watch the breakdown video from week 1.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

As of right now, Pickens w/o a doubt is the better player. Also, agree with you about 'America's favorite serial killer.'

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Going off of memory, but I think something he could work on during this season is bursting forward in his stance. It looked to me like he shoots "up" instead of "out" in a way that could be worked on in drills

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
He played fine last night, better than in week one. Had at least three pressures and was generally more disruptive than last week.

He really doesn't use his hands at all, and still plays too high. But he is powerful and athletic. I wouldn't expect alot of pass rush this year, but I think he will be fine as a run down guy and an occasional pocket pusher.
I agree he plays too high, at least on the plays I've watched him. Powerful...yes.....but it is of no use if he uses it in an upward thrust, instead of pushing it forward. so im in agreement with you.