Disc golf (frisbee golf)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lately I've really enjoyed playing throw and catch with friends with my aerobie ring and LED lit disc for night fun.

Throwing accurately to friends got me thinking of disc golf.

I've met more than a few people that swore by how much fun disc golf is, yet I have never played. (several of them were rather attractive women)

That is soon to change. I have a set o' discs on the way, and in my spirit of generosity, I shipped a starter disc set to a friend that has also been expressing interest.

I'm just wondering if anyone else plays. How long? Where at? etc......

I'm downstate in Ottawa/Streator area. Course at IVCC seems to have decent reviews,one in Ottawa with poorer reviews, another in Spring Valley I've seen no reviews for.

Happy throws for anyone that plays! Tips for newbie are welcome also.

bri

Liked Posts:
I have never played in real life, but am good at it on the Wii. It seems like it would be a lot more fun than real golf and less expensive. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Did you used to be a fireman and a woman?

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
when I was stationed in Norfolk, there were a couple parks out in Virginia Beach we used to go to. Most the time though, we got a bunch of guys from the boat together and played "frisbee football" (dont remember the actual name of the game) which ended up just turning into a drunken brawl most the time.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
when I was stationed in Norfolk, there were a couple parks out in Virginia Beach we used to go to. Most the time though, we got a bunch of guys from the boat together and played "frisbee football" (dont remember the actual name of the game) which ended up just turning into a drunken brawl most the time.

Would that perhaps be "ultimate frisbee"? I've seen some info on that.

It looks interesting but I don't think I would care for all the running. The brawling aspect you mention does sound interesting.

No, Bri, I have never been a fireman or a woman.

I have met several firemen though, none of which were women, attractive or otherwise.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
Would that perhaps be "ultimate frisbee"? I've seen some info on that.

It looks interesting but I don't think I would care for all the running. The brawling aspect you mention does sound interesting.

No, Bri, I have never been a fireman or a woman.

I have met several firemen though, none of which were women, attractive or otherwise.

THAT WAS IT...thanks, couldn't remember the stupid name.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's a really nice site with course info and reviews.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/

Community Park in Channahon looks pretty nice and is about the halfway point from my friend I sent discs to.

One reviewer saw some tasty looking deer there. I may take my aerobie ring and try to ring it around some antlers.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's a really nice site with course info and reviews.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/

Community Park in Channahon looks pretty nice and is about the halfway point from my friend I sent discs to.

One reviewer saw some tasty looking deer there. I may take my aerobie ring and try to ring it around some antlers.

I toss a frisbee around with my kids regularly. Saw the golf set at a local sports store and was interested. There are a few courses in my area.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
there was a frolf park in bloomington when I was at ISU, I went occationally, havent played since. I know theres a course in shorewood.

SArmonte90

Liked Posts:
Frisbee golf is great. I play quite frequently at The Commons Park in Lombard, and somtimes at Madison Meadows Park in Lombard.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I toss a frisbee around with my kids regularly. Saw the golf set at a local sports store and was interested. There are a few courses in my area.

Nice. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am pretty excited but my discs wont be here for a day or two, and I couldn't do much more than toss around a putter in my yard anyway. Now that I've been doing some studying the last few days and realize that there are glow discs I wish I had spent the extra $5. I could charge 'em under a blacklight while I am at work, then go throw practice throws in nearby softball field after work undisturbed. (usually home from work about 12:30 am)

I am going to ask my boss if I can have an old driver disc that is hanging on pegboard in a machine shop of all places. If anything I can use it for roller throws. I see no use for it in a machine shop, have never seen one before in the many shops I've been in, and my boss loves me anyway.

bri

Liked Posts:
Nice. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am pretty excited but my discs wont be here for a day or two, and I couldn't do much more than toss around a putter in my yard anyway. Now that I've been doing some studying the last few days and realize that there are glow discs I wish I had spent the extra $5. I could charge 'em under a blacklight while I am at work, then go throw practice throws in nearby softball field after work undisturbed. (usually home from work about 12:30 am)

I am going to ask my boss if I can have an old driver disc that is hanging on pegboard in a machine shop of all places. If anything I can use it for roller throws. I see no use for it in a machine shop, have never seen one before in the many shops I've been in, and my boss loves me anyway.

We all do.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
My co-worker is always trying to get me to go frolfing during lunch... might take him up on it if it's nice enough one day.

Apparently there's a course not too far from my work (in Oak Brook).

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We all do.

I knew that, but you guys don't have to work with me.

Wait, neither does my boss. I only see him for maybe 10 minutes a week these days.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yay! Scored my free disc from work! I've spent 45 minutes to an hour each of the last couple nights throwing at my yard light post from 40-60 feet, some a bit longer. Trying different throws and such. I am having fun and haven't even been to course. Friend and I are hoping to get to open soccer field complex to throw some drives and such this weekend.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
milhouse-plays-frisbee.gif

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peeked outside of work a bit after lunch to see....

....3 feral cats.

One cat in parking lot looking at me. 2nd cat right next to wall of neighboring building.

3rd cat is on strip of lawn between parking lot and neighboring building looking the other way.

I grab disc from car. Take placement on side of coworker's truck for cover.

Backhand roller lands 10 feet in front of cat, rolls and BAM! Nailed that fucker and got 40 more feet of roll!!!

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got down to soccer field this weekend to throw some drives, I'm getting a bit better at it, I need to be more consistent though.

I ordered glow discs and LED blacklight flashlight to charge 'em.

Night golf allows more practice time for me and I hate being out in the hot fucking sun.

bri

Liked Posts:
hun, you need to get a dog to play with you. They are always looking for homes for retired greyhounds and stuff.