Disc golf (frisbee golf)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got back to same course twice with 2 different friends over weekend.

Notes:

1.My drives SUCK! I get shit for distance and my drives veer WAY right or left of my intended direction quite often. (most often, actually)

2. I suck at putting, if I'm not within 3 arms lengths and make it, it was partly luck.

3. I did get off a couple of good roller shots Saturday. One around and between some youngish trees, only to roll right and away from the basket instead of left and towards it as I had intended, but still left for nice lie. Another nice one I had got some really good straight distance and left me 20 feet from the basket, but see #2 above, yes, I suck at putting.

4. I love my Innova Mako mid range in champion glow plastic! After a shitty drive and some trees downhill between me and basket I threw an awesome left to right hook around the trees to slide into tall grass 10 feet from basket. This disc is by far my favorite and most controllable. I really have to work on my driving technique, because I can get a bit more distance (and a MUCH straighter and predictable flight) out of my glow mid range than my glow drivers (unless I'm rolling them).

Mosquitoes were really bad today, when I got out the bug spray at hole 4, they REALLY started to swarm me. Asshole bloodsucking bugs!

Would have tried a different course, but my buddy wanted to go to sporting goods store and get his own discs so we had to go a different way. I should be afraid of losing a disc in the river at other course anyway (not my mako though, that fucker goes where I throw it).

The popularity of disc golf has plummeted since Last Sunday! There were about 5 or 6 other cars with singles or groups up to 3 playing last weekend. Saturday, only one other guy showed up to throw the 1st 9 while we were there, and NO ONE at all today.

At this rate there will be negative 9 people there by next weekend! PANIC!!!

I'm tired of that fucking course anyway, grass is too damn tall for rollers on most holes.

I'm excited about getting my portable basket. A local park here will make for some awesome temporary holes with BIG trees, elevation changes, and water into play if we decide.

Been out throwing twice with my friend, and he was already thinking about how to get a grant or something to build a course there after his 1st time playing. You can get custom logos and such on baskets, maybe we can advertise local businesses on them for some $ toward the baskets and tee pads. I'm not asking my boss, people that buy stuff I make can afford real golf.

I am not sure about the availability of night golf at any nearby courses. I think it is unlikely at the community college course, they have a gate they likely close at night.

Check this out for night golf!

DSC_0414.JPG

http://electricforestfestival.com/news/glow-dark-disc-golf-electric-forest

Two Hearted ale and KICK ASS glow golf till 5 AM??? Shit!!!!! RIGHT UP MY ALLEY!!! I might have to take vacation day or two and go up there!

bri

Liked Posts:
Oooooooooooooo Pretty. Don't they have things now that you can clip on your belt that keep the bugs away from you? Didn't you say you live in the country? You could make your own mini lighted course that would be the envy of all your friends.

I always reply to your posts cause nobody else does and I don't want you to get all sad or anything so it's turned out to be our own little conversation and I don't think I'm very good at keeping up my end.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, I forgot about those clip on things. I'll pick one up and try it out if I remember. I've never been a fan of spraying bug spray on myself anyway.

I don't live in the country but on the very edge of town. Across the street is miles and miles of corn.

I could certainly set up a few holes around here though between the big yard, the strip of grass and trees between the street and the corn, and the empty house across the other street.

bri

Liked Posts:
I bet your neighbor kids will think you are that cool old guy down the street. I know you're not old, but to kids you probably are. Last year I had some tween call me an old bitch under his breath cause I told him he couldn't ride on his skateboard in the building. All I could think of is when did I get old.

sth

Liked Posts:
I bet your neighbor kids will think you are that cool old guy down the street. I know you're not old, but to kids you probably are. Last year I had some tween call me an old bitch under his breath cause I told him he couldn't ride on his skateboard in the building. All I could think of is when did I get old.

Do you want me to go out there and give that punk a piece of my mind? You are young and very nice.
<

bri

Liked Posts:
I had it come across my TV a little bit ago that there was a tornado warning for Streator and that you were suppose to take cover. Hope you got to a safe place.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah. Sirens went when I left for lunch. Hauled ass back to work and hunkered down here. I still went for food after it cleared up for a bit.

bri

Liked Posts:
Glad you are OK. I am tired of all these storms.

sth

Liked Posts:
Glad you are OK. I am tired of all these storms.

Yeah we had tornadoes out here in Montana too a couple weeks back. I bet playing frisbee golf when a storm hit would be interesting.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Woo hoo! Got my basket!

Will hopefully post some pics late after work.

Hopefully weather will be okay.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMG_20110623_004912-1.jpg

45 seconds later.........

IMG_20110623_005045-1.jpg

I like it quite a bit but didn't get much throwing in due to excessive wind. (I did learn to throw somewhat straight into 20mph wind though)

I'm gonna have a blast this weekend if my stupid back will loosen up.

bri

Liked Posts:
Very cool heep us posted on your adventures.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Adventures you say?

I like adventures.

Wildlife:

Saw a possum last night walking along edge of corn. Later when I was in garage, a raccoon decided he'd walk on in until I yelled at him. I heard either deer in corn, or critters in trees near corn tonight, more likely, as the deer seem to walk around the corn as far as I can tell.

I love my basket! All I need is to get the Indianhead on the flag (yes, I picked out the Hawks red color).

I think it has some pros and cons compared to the (few) regular course baskets I've thrown (most of the time dropped) into.

Pro - It is a bit narrower. May improve accuracy in left to right putting aim on course.

Con - It is a bit short. May mess up my height aim on putts at course.

Overall, I think the narrowing down my left to right aim will benefit me more than I may lose on height aim which can probably be more easily adjusted for.

I was gonna take my new kick ass basket and some friends to a park tomorrow, but then I mentioned it to my boss asking him if he wanted to come. He says his family reunion is there and his damn family is maybe even bigger than mine. Place is gonna be packed. My family may be bigger, but most of us hate each other so family reunion turnout is low. My boss, well, one of my best friends actually, his family all loves each other and gathers like bees to a hive. I would love to go there, there is plenty of open space even after a huge family is there, but I don't want him trying to introduce me to 75 people. He never shuts up as it is, it would take an hour to get through 10 people.

Fuck it, I'm going down there. He is an asshole about not calling me to hang on weekends so I will just make my presence known by driving by and getting stuff out of my car. I guess he doesn't feel the need to hang out with me now that he's my boss and I make his job so easy (and he pays me back in that area BIG TIME).

The guy fucking loves me. I got him a job at my last job, he got me my job and is now my boss. I told him on September 12th after he gets off work, he is to go purchase (for me)the latest Dream Theater album released that day and bring back to work) so I can rock it like a motherfucker. He agreed immediately.

Sweet! (he also felt bad last year about going to Transatlantic show with friend even though he's not a fan when we both couldn't take off work, he got me a DVD from the show, sigh, talked to another old buddy that evening and she was having dinner with the band a few hours before the show. Got to say hi on phone to some guys I REALLY wanted signed liner notes from. Oh well. I still love my job (and occasional access to some of my favorite musicians)

That's it, drive in, set up near enough, and that is as good as a casual nod invitation.

Sorry I got off on a tangent there thinking of my missed chance to meet Neal and Daniel. (and Roine and Mike again)

bri

Liked Posts:
Maybe he has a female relative he can hook you up with. I have just the wedding dress for her. It lights up. I saw it on that gypsy wedding show. You could play frisbee golf at your reception. Enjoy your weekend, Hun. I can tell you are looking forward to it.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The weather is much nicer today than yesterday. Not too much throwing yesterday due to rain, but have friends on the way here to throw.

I got one of those clip on bug repellent thingys.

I will report on how well it works.

I must not throw into corn. Corn is too damn tall to trudge through after discs. Up to my shoulders through most of it.

bri

Liked Posts:
It's refreshing to see someone get so much joy from something so simple. Let me know how the bug thing works. I might need one for 4th of July.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hi Bri!

Lots of good throwing in. Even got my boss over for a bit.

Wind is breezy enough to keep bugs away. Will review clip on bug thingy when I get to use it.

My putting has improved vastly.

bri

Liked Posts:
You should be able to go crazy 4th of July weekend if the weather holds up for you. You should get everybody practiced up so you can have a tournament Labor Day weekend.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't much care for my Aerobie arrow putter so I gave it to my putterless friend. Weather has been pretty good so I've been able to get lots of practice after work, and even a bit in the afternoons before work. I think I am slowly getting my fundamentals down. Still not very consistant. I would guess one out of three of my throws is as good as I would like but that's probably up from 1 in 4 or 5 just over last few days.

Well I'm gonna get more throws in before I get to go see what gravy awaits me at work tonight.

bri

Liked Posts:
Be glad you have a job you like that fulfills you. The world is your oyster.