Ditka on Mike and Mike this morning

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
A backup QB with better efficiency numbers than the starter. It's really about the many talented weapons who have remained healthy. That the D was so thin to begin with and not doing so good before the injuries piled up keeps me from excusing what it has become.

Had to sneak a shot at Cutler in, didn't you? :slap: Anyway ...

I guess it comes down to how much you expected the D to regress. Perhaps I expected more than others.

The game where I think the injuries really started piling up was the Skins game. While that as an awful game, losing so many players in such a quick time makes it hard for me to really hammer the D coaches too much. There's blame there, but not that much, imo.

Before that, though, I thought the defense was at least playing well enough to give the Bears a chance to win. I think people may debate the first Detroit game ... but consider that 24 of those points came on or immediately after a Bears turnover. After the Skins game, you had 3 straight close-to-average performance by the defense. Again, I thought they played well enough to win. Yesterday, again, was not one of those wins.

So in 9 out of 11 games the defense has played well enough to win, IMO. As I'd said before, in the Lovie era, that's all you ever wanted the offense to do. Give the Bears a chance to win. There's no denying room for improvement, but I ain't about to call for Tucker's job (or Trestman's, for that matter) after Week 11.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
DMelt..I dont think it would be a good idea to fire any coach at this stage of the season no matter what. I DO however think Tucker needs to go after the season is over, as does Joe D..Im not ready to call for Trestmans job just yet, but I do think he has a lot to learn ...IMO, his biggest problem is that he is so analytical, that he cant think on his feet when something unexpected comes up. Everything must be thought out and planned out in advance...If he cant learn to think on his feet, he is in trouble

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This ain't Pop Warner football, man. You realize it's more often LBs/DBs who have the responsibility to set the edge? Sure, sometimes he has containment responsibilities. But Shea has a gap assignment, and it's not always the end one.

Well, then this points right back to the coaching.

If he is doing what he is coached to do, Tucker should be hanged.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Had to sneak a shot at Cutler in, didn't you? :slap: Anyway ...

I guess it comes down to how much you expected the D to regress. Perhaps I expected more than others.

The game where I think the injuries really started piling up was the Skins game. While that as an awful game, losing so many players in such a quick time makes it hard for me to really hammer the D coaches too much. There's blame there, but not that much, imo.

Before that, though, I thought the defense was at least playing well enough to give the Bears a chance to win. I think people may debate the first Detroit game ... but consider that 24 of those points came on or immediately after a Bears turnover. After the Skins game, you had 3 straight close-to-average performance by the defense. Again, I thought they played well enough to win. Yesterday, again, was not one of those wins.

So in 9 out of 11 games the defense has played well enough to win, IMO. As I'd said before, in the Lovie era, that's all you ever wanted the offense to do. Give the Bears a chance to win. There's no denying room for improvement, but I ain't about to call for Tucker's job (or Trestman's, for that matter) after Week 11.

So.....the D (ranked 31st) has played well enough for us to win 9 of 11?

So we're 6-5 because of the offense?

Got it!

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
So.....the D (ranked 31st) has played well enough for us to win 9 of 11?

So we're 6-5 because of the offense?

Got it!

They're 6-5 because of the team's performance. What games, other than the Skins and Rams losses, can you hang on the defense?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Well, then this points right back to the coaching.

If he is doing what he is coached to do, Tucker should be hanged.

I never said Shea was doing it well, did I? Just pointing out that his responsibility is different from what that poster described.

The vast majority of pro defenses use a 1-gap scheme, I believe. And on run plays to the outside it's typically the CBs who are responsible for setting the edge, not the DEs. Typically, they're fighting with a TE who lined up outside of them.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, I think Rodgers has made McCarthy look waaaaaaaaaaaay better at coaching than he really is.

McCarthy went to the NFC Championship before Rodgers and then Wrangler jeans guy threw away the game in overtime.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCarthy went to the NFC Championship before Rodgers and then Wrangler jeans guy threw away the game in overtime.

ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) tweeted at 9:53 AM on Tue, Nov 26, 2013:Mike McCarthy defends Dom Capers and his defensive coaching staff

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Best. Day. Ever. It was only topped in 2009 when he did it again.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Ah yes, good for McCarthy. He went to the NFCCG with one HoFer before letting the other HoFer take over. Great coach.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah yes, good for McCarthy. He went to the NFCCG with one HoFer before letting the other HoFer take over. Great coach.

Yeah, I'd knock him for winning a Super Bowl too.

These guys tried and failed:
Halas
Dooley
Gibron
Pardee
Armstrong
Wannstedt
Jauron
Smith

47 years, 1 SB.

McCarthy is in his 8th season. He has 1 SB. I'll take it. You can have 0-0 though. Good luck with that.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Packer fan,

Here is a friend for you:

fat-packer-fan.jpg

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah, I'd knock him for winning a Super Bowl too.

These guys tried and failed:
Halas
Dooley
Gibron
Pardee
Armstrong
Wannstedt
Jauron
Smith

47 years, 1 SB.

McCarthy is in his 8th season. He has 1 SB. I'll take it. You can have 0-0 though. Good luck with that.

Good point, what was it again? McCarthy is as good as mostly bad coaches, I guess. Nice work.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
bill belichick has lost nearly as many players and is winning games. He has a system that works and doesn't need superstar athletes but smart guys who can follow the plan and do their jobs. The Patriots this year have won games with 5 starters out on D....1/2 of the defense is second string, and they can keep the team in the game. Our D has played 2 decent games this year, they kept the team in the game against Detroit...but the vast majority of the time it looks like they're winging it.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good point, what was it again? McCarthy is as good as mostly bad coaches, I guess. Nice work.

Nope. Just better than every Bears coach in the Super Bowl era with the possible exception of Ditka. Of course Ditka had possibly the greatest defense ever and the greatest running back ever and is always talked about as an underachiever for not winning more than one. So yeah, I'm happy with McCarthy. Can you stop being stupid now?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Nope. Just better than every Bears coach in the Super Bowl era with the possible exception of Ditka. Of course Ditka had possibly the greatest defense ever and the greatest running back ever and is always talked about as an underachiever for not winning more than one. So yeah, I'm happy with McCarthy. Can you stop being stupid now?

Can you? So McCarthy is better than a bunch of bad coaches. Good for him. Again, what's your point?

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can you? So McCarthy is better than a bunch of bad coaches. Good for him. Again, what's your point?

Are you really this dense? That he is better than every coach than the Bears have had in the 47 years of the Super Bowl Era. Ditka, possible exception because he managed to win one with a stacked team. And if you really want to be technical, McCarthy finished 1st out of 32 teams. Ditka finished 1st out of 28 teams. I'd say McCarthy had the greater accomplishment.

Now what is the point you are trying to make? That the Bears have been pathetic in the Super Bowl Era while the Packers have 4 Lombardi trophies? Is that what you are striving to achieve here? You win. You are right.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Are you really this dense? That he is better than every coach than the Bears have had in the 47 years of the Super Bowl Era. Ditka, possible exception because he managed to win one with a stacked team. And if you really want to be technical, McCarthy finished 1st out of 32 teams. Ditka finished 1st out of 28 teams. I'd say McCarthy had the greater accomplishment.

Now what is the point you are trying to make? That the Bears have been pathetic in the Super Bowl Era while the Packers have 4 Lombardi trophies? Is that what you are striving to achieve here? You win. You are right.

So, you were holding Ditka's accomplishment against him because there were less teams (which actually means the talent pool is as stretched thin but forget that), in an era without free agency (where teams could actually build dominant teams), and because of the talent he had on the team. But McCarthy is a great coach because he won a SB and went to the NFCCG with 2 HoF QBs and is better than a bunch of bad coaches. I could make Ditka look like one of the greatest if I kept comparing him to coaches like Forrest Gregg, Bart Starr, Phil Bengston, Dan Devine, & Lindy Infante. So again, what the fuck are you getting at? Who cares if he's better than he shit the Bears have trotted out there? How does that help your argument that McCarthy is a great coach? Why did you even bring this up? Are you upset we don't worship the ground McCarthy walks on while he struggles to hold his team together? Does comparing him to the great Dave Wannstedt make you feel better?