Do Schierholtz/Valbuena cut it as placeholders?

Liked Posts:
Both have seen their batting averages sag dramatically as the season has progressed. With the Cubs starving for offense, it begs the question - Do these two do an adequate enough job as regulars?

I personally don't think so.

Schierholtz has been generally productive for the majority of the season, but I've become discouraged with his play the last three weeks. His sinking batting average is just one concern, as he hasn't even faced many lefties this year. I think there's a good chance he could get further exposed next year if given the everyday job in right. I actually wouldn't mind going after Hunter Pence at this point.

Valbuena's defense gives him a longer leash than most and he draws plenty of walks, but his average hurts. He'd be better served in a utility role, as would Barney. I'm still holding out hope that we could pry Mike Young from the Dodgers if we offered him $4-5 million next year, but I ain't counting on it.

I was in Milwaukee for the first two games of our series this week. A good time - Except for the losing, which is depressing. Dale Sveum was one who never quit during his playing days, but he sure has quit on this here team.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
They will both be back... but not as full-time starters. Maybe more of 60-75% of playing time. Valbuena more of less, but right now Schierholtz as a starter starter.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Josh Vitters get a chance to compete for third base in spring training and Matt Szczur compete for an outfield spot. Maybe they can give Brett Jackson another chance.

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Josh Vitters get a chance to compete for third base in spring training and Matt Szczur compete for an outfield spot. Maybe they can give Brett Jackson another chance.

Vitters recently moved to LF.

If Schierholtz is our cleanup hitter, that says all that needs to be said about our offense. I really hope Theo has a plan to fix this Cubs offense, but it going after Pence or whatever.

Indiana politicians take note if we sign Pence and re-sign Gregg. That would mean Pence and Gregg are on the same team this time around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes to Schierholtz as the #5 hitter. He is a solid poor man's solution. Over 20 HR's in a platoon with solid BA with runners on. Or decent #5 hitter stuff. Valbuena yes if he moves into a platoon with Barney at 2B. 3B needs to be addressed next year. Fast tracking Baez or giving it to Olt would be the in house options. LF I'd like to keep Lake out there and hitting #6 full time. He brings speed and some power. His game is all around and hitting #6 he has opertunites to drive in some runs or use his legs to set up runs for the 7-8 hitter. I believe he has solid value on the team.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I know they said LF, but just let Vitters platoon with Schierholtz if he does find a way to get to the majors.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
But having Lake and Vitters in the OF will mean the worse OF in the majors.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
But having Lake and Vitters in the OF will mean the worse OF in the majors.

Do you mean defensively, or having the worst 3 players as a starting OF?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you mean defensively, or having the worst 3 players as a starting OF?

Defensively. I don't know how Vitters will do in the OF, but he's really just starting like Lake did.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Yes. Next year we should have prospects come up and make a legitamatie impact in Baez and Co. Valbuena is a good bench player and mine as well hold the Cubs spot until June or whenever. If any OF prospect is ready Schierholtz is easy trade bait and also serves as a good RF to begin with.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Triple A will have a nice infield next year. For once, Triple-A may not just be scrubs and fun to watch. Screw these minor-league deals for veterans.

Liked Posts:
Defensively. I don't know how Vitters will do in the OF, but he's really just starting like Lake did.

I'm actually pleased with Lake's progress defensively. I'd rather have him in center than an aging, chunky, Shin-Soo-Choo for instance. Not that I particularly want Choo on our roster anyway, as our team clearly has an overwhelming need for a right-handed run producer, something every poster on here appears to be ignoring.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I do believe Lake had progress but he has also made mistakes and looked bad at times. If the Cubs were to sign Choo, I think he would go to LF and keep Lake in CF.

Liked Posts:
So everyone is just going to ignore Schierholtz's rapidly dipping batting average and the fact he hasn't even fact many lefties?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm actually pleased with Lake's progress defensively. I'd rather have him in center than an aging, chunky, Shin-Soo-Choo for instance. Not that I particularly want Choo on our roster anyway, as our team clearly has an overwhelming need for a right-handed run producer, something every poster on here appears to be ignoring.

Our top 4 prospects are all right handed hitting players. The Cubs will be heavily right handed soon. They are going to need a lefty soon. That's why no one talks about a right handed bat. They have a ton of them close to the majors.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So everyone is just going to ignore Schierholtz's rapidly dipping batting average and the fact he hasn't even fact many lefties?

That was covered on Cubs.com. MILWAUKEE -- Nate Schierholtz has set career highs in at-bats, hits, doubles, home runs and RBIs this season, his first year with the Cubs. It is also the first time he has had regular at-bats, and he said he expected to produce.

"It's really the first time I've played consistently, especially against righties," he said. "For me, they should be career highs, and they should be the best I've done. I feel like I can do a lot better than I've done so far, especially the last couple months. Hopefully, moving on, I can stay healthy for a whole year."

Schierholtz has been bothered since late June with a sore right shoulder. He received a cortisone shot at that time, which alleviated some of the discomfort.

"This has been a learning experience for me playing more over the course of the year," he said. "I feel like I would approach certain things differently. It's been a little bit of a grind. I'm just trying to stick with it and play hard every day. It's been a rough second half."

The left-handed hitter batted .269 in the first half, compared with .224 since the All-Star break entering Wednesday's game against the Cubs. He has been one of the Cubs' most consistent hitters with runners in scoring position.

"It's a rough game over 162 games," he said. "It's been nice for me to be able to play a lot and come to the field knowing I'll be in the lineup. It's been different for me. I definitely appreciate the opportunity."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This was his first time playing a full season as a starter. All things concidered I have no complaints. He handled RF very well and runners are stupid to test his arm. Better offseason conditioning and I believe he can improve over this season and keep his production more sustained. Having him in the plans is not a bad thing at all.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our top 4 prospects are all right handed hitting players. The Cubs will be heavily right handed soon. They are going to need a lefty soon. That's why no one talks about a right handed bat. They have a ton of them close to the majors.

Right, Baez is knocking on the door as right handed power for next season, and Soler/Bryant could move quickly as well as some more right handed thunder. If Olt figures it out there is some other serious right handed power. So there are four right handed power bats that are within a year or two of competing for a spot.

Choo has a chance to be an undervalued player that could slide really nicely into LF. His bat is well above average and like I discussed in another thread really fits well as a 2nd hitter. Let Castro hack his way at the the top and place Rizzo three. You've got a gap in the lineup at four right now because no one really fits that mold, but you aren't signing a quality long term guy to hit at that spot in the free agent market anyway. Wait and see if Baez can be that guy, and if that is true the rest of the lineup is actually not that bad from Schierholtz platoon, Lake, Castillo, Valbeuna/Murphy/Olt. This is assuming Baez can handle second which he apparently is going to some looks in spring. Baez's bat at second base could completely revamp the lineup if he is the real deal. Lots of ifs, but one big signing and one of the big four makes this lineup averagish.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither should be starters next year, but it seems Nate would start one more year until we call up our OF regime. (almora and/or soler). I honestly think Bryant would be ready next season especially with fall league and spring training. You can't tell me Valbuena is going to contribute more then Bryant. That would be insane. Bryant is 21 and a proven hitter. Something we lack big time. If I was Theo I would have Baez at 2b and Bryant at 3b for the beginning of next year. Barney is an atrocious hitter while we have nothing going at 3b either. That infield would be so filthy imho. Then in the field you would have sweeney, lake, and nate. That is good enough to compete for a wild card if we had that infield I alluded to earlier. I mean heck we were only 7 games under .500 for a majority of the year with terrible hitters at 2b and 3b. Just sayin. The bullpen is another issue but lets start with hitting lol.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Then in the field you would have sweeney, lake, and nate. That is good enough to compete for a wild card if we had that infield I alluded to earlier. I mean heck we were only 7 games under .500 for a majority of the year with terrible hitters at 2b and 3b. Just sayin. The bullpen is another issue but lets start with hitting lol.

The problems with the team go further than just plugging in Baez and Bryant and push the go button.

It would sell out the house though so from an ownership point of view it makes sense. But from a development point of view June maybe more realistic for both.

But if they were to do something like that I would hope they first acquired a better Ace then Shark. A proven MLB closer vs retreads or untested. and then a proven lead off hitter.

At that point bringing in Bryant and Baez would make more sense as there is something already there that they will add to vs them being it with thi train wreck not addressed.