Do Schierholtz/Valbuena cut it as placeholders?

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problems with the team go further than just plugging in Baez and Bryant and push the go button.

It would sell out the house though so from an ownership point of view it makes sense. But from a development point of view June maybe more realistic for both.

But if they were to do something like that I would hope they first acquired a better Ace then Shark. A proven MLB closer vs retreads or untested. and then a proven lead off hitter.

At that point bringing in Bryant and Baez would make more sense as there is something already there that they will add to vs them being it with thi train wreck not addressed.

Good points. I am very high on them both. I mean they are better then barney and valbuena no matter how you cut it (offensively at least). A struggling Bryant is like .250 which is still better then barney. Anyways I actually think Baker is very good. Not saying hes a #1 guy though. If we get a legit closer and called up bryant and baez we would be very competitive. Remember fujikawa and vizcaino as well even though they are coming off tommy john which sucks. But if sveum is still here then I wouldn't bother lol. Just so eager to see some guys called up you know? Feels good hearing about this talent.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
C, castillo
1B rizzo
2B murphy
SS castro
3b olt and valbuena
Lf ellsbury signed as FA
CF lake
RF schierholtz

Baez and Bryant if hitting well will be called up in June if needed for 2B and 3B, or bryant can play left if Lake struggles and 3B is good with ellsbury moving to CF...
I like murphy for the bench even if he holding his own by June and Baez is ready..

SP samardzija
SP wood
SP jackson
SP arrieta
SP rusin

dont see them going after a SP via FA unless they trade one of these 5 to upgrade..

CL. Strop
rel parker
rel russell
rel grimm
rel fujikawa
rel another LHer

carlos villlenueva will be traded during ST, baker will be offered to come back but start season in IOWA

were not going to see a lot of transactions VIA FAs because theres not many sure thing to go after for long term, their just gonna stick with the best they have until the young guys come up.. if there are any changes to roster being made it will be thru trades..
i know im in the minority here, but i feel Ellsbury is no.1 on their list to go after via FA

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
C, castillo
1B rizzo
2B murphy
SS castro
3b olt and valbuena
Lf ellsbury signed as FA
CF lake
RF schierholtz

Baez and Bryant if hitting well will be called up in June if needed for 2B and 3B, or bryant can play left if Lake struggles and 3B is good with ellsbury moving to CF...
I like murphy for the bench even if he holding his own by June and Baez is ready..

SP samardzija
SP wood
SP jackson
SP arrieta
SP rusin

dont see them going after a SP via FA unless they trade one of these 5 to upgrade..

CL. Strop
rel parker
rel russell
rel grimm
rel fujikawa
rel another LHer

carlos villlenueva will be traded during ST, baker will be offered to come back but start season in IOWA

were not going to see a lot of transactions VIA FAs because theres not many sure thing to go after for long term, their just gonna stick with the best they have until the young guys come up.. if there are any changes to roster being made it will be thru trades..
i know im in the minority here, but i feel Ellsbury is no.1 on their list to go after via FA

He is looking for Carl Crawford money and will almost surely get over a 100 million. I get its your opinion, but I will pass. The guy is an injury train wreck with a game based on speed.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chad (FL)

Do the Cubs go all out for Tanaka? He will be entering his prime around the time the Cubs are ready to compete. He seems like a perfect fit for what this Front Office likes.

Bruce Levine
(1:15 PM)

From all indications from my baseball contacts, Tanaka is the Cubs' No. 1 offseason priority

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm hearing that the Carlos Gonzalez rumor has some legs and that one player the Rockies are interested in is Jake Arrieta. That makes sense from their standpoint as he is young and cost-controlled, though I don't know how keen the Cubs are to that idea. Does it make sense for the Cubs who lack top level arms and are said to be concerned about some budget constraints? It's a tough question to answer. Gonzalez is an established star and should produce well even outside of Wrigley. He fills two needs at once -- OBP and LH power, along with having the kind of athleticism and defensive skills the team prefers. It's a pretty good fit but only at the right cost -- both in terms of players/prospects and in financial terms.

Also hearing that Nate Schierholtz is a trade candidate, especially if the Cubs do acquire CarGo. The Cubs also have Ryan Sweeney and Bryan Bogusevic from the left side and both have impressed when given the opportunity this season.

While Jeff Samardzija is considered a core player, he is one the Cubs may consider moving if he still refuses to negotiate. He is brash and competitive and those type of players tend to get a mixed reaction. Some love it, but some are put off by it. In my opinion, the Cubs could use some of these fiery guys who want to win and personally I'd like to keep him, but it may well depend on whether Samardziija is willing to sit down and negotiate an extension.

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...ffseason-chatter-kevin-gregg-gets-a-reprieve/

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh and one last thing Barney has got to go. He sucks at the plate. He is so bad its not even funny. He looks like a little leaguer playing against major leaguers when he is at the plate.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
i would trade Shark + for CarGo right now. Shark is a 4th SP at best

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh and one last thing Barney has got to go. He sucks at the plate. He is so bad its not even funny. He looks like a little leaguer playing against major leaguers when he is at the plate.

As long as Dale is there so will Barney. Swear Barney strokes him off to keep his gig.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I'm actually pleased with Lake's progress defensively. I'd rather have him in center than an aging, chunky, Shin-Soo-Choo for instance. Not that I particularly want Choo on our roster anyway, as our team clearly has an overwhelming need for a right-handed run producer, something every poster on here appears to be ignoring.

Do you mean like the one the Cubs are paying 19 million dollars in salary to play for another team that has 34 HR's and 100 RBI's? You know........the albatross contract that has moved to New York.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm hearing that the Carlos Gonzalez rumor has some legs and that one player the Rockies are interested in is Jake Arrieta. That makes sense from their standpoint as he is young and cost-controlled, though I don't know how keen the Cubs are to that idea. Does it make sense for the Cubs who lack top level arms and are said to be concerned about some budget constraints? It's a tough question to answer. Gonzalez is an established star and should produce well even outside of Wrigley. He fills two needs at once -- OBP and LH power, along with having the kind of athleticism and defensive skills the team prefers. It's a pretty good fit but only at the right cost -- both in terms of players/prospects and in financial terms.

Also hearing that Nate Schierholtz is a trade candidate, especially if the Cubs do acquire CarGo. The Cubs also have Ryan Sweeney and Bryan Bogusevic from the left side and both have impressed when given the opportunity this season.

While Jeff Samardzija is considered a core player, he is one the Cubs may consider moving if he still refuses to negotiate. He is brash and competitive and those type of players tend to get a mixed reaction. Some love it, but some are put off by it. In my opinion, the Cubs could use some of these fiery guys who want to win and personally I'd like to keep him, but it may well depend on whether Samardziija is willing to sit down and negotiate an extension.

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...ffseason-chatter-kevin-gregg-gets-a-reprieve/

Cubs Den is the only place that I have seen pushing the CarGo to the Cubs angle. They do seem to have some sources there, and if Arrieta can be a centerpiece I would love to see that move happen. Don't see how the Rockies aren't asking for at least one of the big four in any deal though.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldnt mine trading a guy like shark for cargo then getting Tanaka. Tanaka is and should be our main priority. I am pretty sure Theo will land him since he is the main target. Our SR would be very nice even without shark. The bullpen could use some work but guys like Grimm could make it decent. Then Cargo in like cf or something is cool to haha

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya Cargo in LF would be worth giving up quality to get. Arretta IMO has top of the rotation stuff if he has command that day. IMO he might end up better than shark when it is said and done. So even so I'd do that deal in a heart beat. Baez, Cargo, Bryant, Rizzo. 3-6 scarry very scarry hitting core. I'd even give up either Almora or Soler in the deal to push it.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ya Cargo in LF would be worth giving up quality to get. Arretta IMO has top of the rotation stuff if he has command that day. IMO he might end up better than shark when it is said and done. So even so I'd do that deal in a heart beat. Baez, Cargo, Bryant, Rizzo. 3-6 scarry very scarry hitting core. I'd even give up either Almora or Soler in the deal to push it.
I rather have almora then Soler. Soler seems to be a power guy which we wont have room for with a Rizzo and a Bryant. I agree that I would put soler in a deal to get a stud like cargo.
Lake-LF or CF
Cargo-CF or LF
Nate- RF
Bryant-3b
Castro-ss
Baez-2b
rizzo-1b
castillo-C
This is what I'd love to see at the start of next year....that is filthy.

roation (if jeff stays):
Samardzija
Tanaka
wood
baker or rusin
edwin

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I rather have almora then Soler. Soler seems to be a power guy which we wont have room for with a Rizzo and a Bryant. I agree that I would put soler in a deal to get a stud like cargo.
Lake-LF or CF
Cargo-CF or LF
Nate- RF
Bryant-3b
Castro-ss
Baez-2b
rizzo-1b
castillo-C
This is what I'd love to see at the start of next year....that is filthy.

roation (if jeff stays):
Samardzija
Tanaka
wood
baker or rusin
edwin

I was thinking the same thing but with the commitment they would have to take on with Soler it would more unlikely out of the 2 if given the choice. Almora is considered the guy that projects better as a every day player.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tanaka is the number 1 for sure and I have Wood ahead of Samardzija.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I would bet the house that Shark is an ace before Arrietta! He has less control then Shark and less stuff.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would bet the house that Shark is an ace before Arrietta! He has less control then Shark and less stuff.

That is fine. All speculation anyways.

Tanaka is the number 1 for sure and I have Wood ahead of Samardzija.

I agree Shark is too inconsistent to be more then a 3 right now. He took a step back this year. Wood showed what needs to be shown to make a impact year.

CONSISTENCY

Liked Posts:
Do you mean like the one the Cubs are paying 19 million dollars in salary to play for another team that has 34 HR's and 100 RBI's? You know........the albatross contract that has moved to New York.

Well, for one - It isn't $19 million, it's more like $13-14 million since we were able to move him. While it is debatable that maybe we moved Soriano too soon, is was always a matter of "when" and not "if". The guy is 37 and wasn't going to be around by the time we are ready to contend.

Personally, I think the Cubs did the right thing by moving him while they could.

Liked Posts:
Our top 4 prospects are all right handed hitting players. The Cubs will be heavily right handed soon. They are going to need a lefty soon. That's why no one talks about a right handed bat. They have a ton of them close to the majors.

So, basically we are going to throw away next season as well and wait for our prospects to develop? Haven't we already done that the last two years? Look, I'm not one who describes myself as a "needy frontrunning Cubs fan", but 95 losses isn't good enough for any fan base let alone Cub fans. It's time we speed up this rebuilding process a little bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Soler still at High A?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, basically we are going to throw away next season as well and wait for our prospects to develop? Haven't we already done that the last two years? Look, I'm not one who describes myself as a "needy frontrunning Cubs fan", but 95 losses isn't good enough for any fan base let alone Cub fans. It's time we speed up this rebuilding process a little bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Soler still at High A?
Soler is at High-A, but very well could start at Double-A. Especially how he performs in the AFL and spring training as well. Then maybe a Sept call-up.