Do You Really Want Albert Pujols On The Cubs?

Do You Really Want Albert Pujols On The Cubs?

• Total voters

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love to see Pujols in Cubbie blue, however, I would definitely not want to see Fielder at Wrigley in anything other than a Brewers jersey. That man is one bratwurst away from a massive coronary.

And as far as PED's, I don't condone them or support them or even like the fact that they have been/ are still used. But the fact of the matter is that they were/ are. And 10 years ago, it was awesome watching Sosa and McGuire jack up 50 homers a year, but now it's sort of grown old. But whatever, it's not super important.

And I think there are definitely more holes than we think there are. We need a 2B, Barney is Theriot v. 1.1. - slightly more range, little more power.

Ramirez and Fonzie haven't proven to me that they want to be here. Granted, come July when the season's basically over, I wouldn't want to be, either. But for the amount of money they're both getting, they aught to.

Besides Garza and Dempster (and Z, I suppose), our starting pitching is pretty limited. Our bullpen looks good. But we need at least 1 more real solid rotation guy.

After this year, Pena will be gone. And I think Byrd is too? (I'm probably wrong on that, though.)

So just by putting 30+ million a year on Pujols really will limit anything else that can be done. If we didn't have awful contracts on the books for Fonzie, Ramirez, and Z, it would probably be more likely and actually possible from a getting 5 man rotation and eight other guys on the field aspect.

Bird is under contract for 2012 too

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only Cub fans wouldnt want the BEST player in today's game. Only Cub fans wouldnt want the player who could become the best player of ALL TIME. Theres a reason why cubs havent won in over 100 years and its cause when Cubs dont go for the World Series Cub fans always say NEXT YEAR. Fuck NEXT YEAR i want the world series now and if that means giving the best player 35 mil for 7 years and having to deal with him maybe suxing the last 2 or 3 years then so be it. He would give the Cubs a GREAT chance of winning there first title in over 100 damn years.:hitler:

I'm not saying i dont want to win the world series, i just dont think albert guranatees that the team will. Listen i am not going to bash the front office if the cubs sign pujols it will be a great signing and if someone can make that "promise" that if they ink him they win the ws then i say go for it. I think fat boy from Mil makes us a better team for a longer time, there will be a window there (2-4) years where Pujols prolly makes us a better team but fielder i think could make us better (3-6) years if you get what im trying to say.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying i dont want to win the world series, i just dont think albert guranatees that the team will. Listen i am not going to bash the front office if the cubs sign pujols it will be a great signing and if someone can make that "promise" that if they ink him they win the ws then i say go for it. I think fat boy from Mil makes us a better team for a longer time, there will be a window there (2-4) years where Pujols prolly makes us a better team but fielder i think could make us better (3-6) years if you get what im trying to say.

Yeah and not only that but lets say Pujols is going to cost us 32 million a year.

For that 32 million we can lock down Fielder, Kelly Johnson and a good bullpen arm or a 3B of some sort.

Which is better?

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah and not only that but lets say Pujols is going to cost us 32 million a year.

For that 32 million we can lock down Fielder, Kelly Johnson and a good bullpen arm or a 3B of some sort.

Which is better?

I agree Pujols is a great player (could be the best ever) but if you can get three guys to solidfy your lineup and make for a serious contender for a little more then we sign pujols for i say you go that route. And lets say we get fielder, Johnson a bp arm and a 3B guy maybe if you trade a guy or two you can make a run at C.C. (Not saying its very likely that we make a run at him) But if you make the budget 160ish it is a possiblity. WE CAN GET TWO FAT GUYS WHO WILL HELP THE TEAM!!!:D

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am glad there are a few of you that see where I am coming from when it comes to the holes the team will need to fill.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:

Which is better?

That would be sweet but how do you break down the salary numbers there?

Fielder 20MMish
Johnson 10-12MMish?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That would be sweet but how do you break down the salary numbers there?

Fielder 20MMish
Johnson 10-12MMish?

Maybe. I didn't really break down the numbers I just threw out names. I honestly am not a big Kelly Johnson fan, but just stating that there are possibly better ways to spend the money than just on Pujols.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you guys honestly think Pujols is going to get 10yrs $300MM?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

No but I think in the open market he is getting 30-35 million per.

And I think it will take a lot for him to come here. I mean this is LeBron going to the ???? (do the Cavs have a rival?)

I think Albert is a little bit more of a standup guy than LeBron but I could be wrong.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
No but I think in the open market he is getting 30-35 million per.

And I think it will take a lot for him to come here. I mean this is LeBron going to the ???? (do the Cavs have a rival?)

I think Albert is a little bit more of a standup guy than LeBron but I could be wrong.

I don't think the rivalry is a factor. He's just going for the big bucks IMO. Ive read the cards offered 21MM per year and thats the issue. I've also read they offered 8yrs $200MM.

Id be down with 7yrs $210MM.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree with Poodski on this dont think he will get the years but moneywise he is gonna be in the 30-35 range and for that fielder johnson etc sounds better right?

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with Poodski on this dont think he will get the years but moneywise he is gonna be in the 30-35 range and for that fielder johnson etc sounds better right?

Ya that would definitely be better if there is a strict payroll limit but if they are willing to increase payroll Pujols and Johnson could happen.

If they are willing to increase payroll why should we care?

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
Ya that would definitely be better if there is a strict payroll limit but if they are willing to increase payroll Pujols and Johnson could happen.

If they are willing to increase payroll why should we care?

But say they do increase payroll we go after fielder johnson rp maybe a C.C. run too if they increase it enough along with the other guys they have to get to fill a few more holes. C.C. IS WHY WE SHOULD CARE. A true number 1 guy who is consistant.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the rivalry is a factor. He's just going for the big bucks IMO. Ive read the cards offered 21MM per year and thats the issue. I've also read they offered 8yrs $200MM.

Id be down with 7yrs $210MM.

Maybe the rivalry matters maybe not. I dont think it would be a huge factor, but I could definitely see him taking a little less money to go to another league.

Regardless 21M a year is a slap in the face to Pujols.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
But say they do increase payroll we go after fielder johnson rp maybe a C.C. run too if they increase it enough along with the other guys they have to get to fill a few more holes. C.C. IS WHY WE SHOULD CARE. A true number 1 guy who is consistant.

I'm down with that strategy too. If the Cubs don't either Fielder or Pujols I'm going to be sick.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree, but I would almost say there is a better change Albert leaves STL than CC leaving NYY.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm down with that strategy too. If the Cubs don't either Fielder or Pujols I'm going to be sick.

I agree. Given who is going to be needing a 1B this next offseason and with us only signing Pena to a 1 year deal there is no excuse not getting one of those two.

Unless Pena becomes a beast again and signs cheaply.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree, but I would almost say there is a better change Albert leaves STL than CC leaving NYY.

I know but i do think C.C. is going to opt out and try to get paid even more by the yanks... But maybe the cubs can lure him away. Pitchers like the N.L. we have that going for us and if we get fielder and a couple more pieces we become an EXTREMELY attractive team.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
The best case scenerio to me is Pujols going to a non-NLC team.

Next, would be the cardinals give him 10yrs $300MM. They'd be screwed.

Third, he goes to the Cubs for 7 years.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. Given who is going to be needing a 1B this next offseason and with us only signing Pena to a 1 year deal there is no excuse not getting one of those two.

Unless Pena becomes a beast again and signs cheaply.

I was just about to add that. Thatd be ok if neither of those two are Cubs next year.