Draft class

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The late round contracts were easier to situate. I think they had to wait until June 2 for cap relief on the Leno cut for Fields and Jenkins.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess one positive is it's a cheap draft for us.

Look at the position Pace is putting Jenkins in. He basically has to play LT. Imagine using this year's 2nd & 3rd for a right tackle, if left doesn't work out.

Pace put a lot of pressure on this young man.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:

Look at the position Pace is putting Jenkins in. He basically has to play LT. Imagine using this year's 2nd & 3rd for a right tackle, if left doesn't work out.

Please go outside in the sun tomorrow. It feels wonderful on your face!!!!

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please go outside in the sun tomorrow. It feels wonderful on your face!!!!
It's a legit concern. The rumor is that many scouts had him as RT only, hence he slid out of the 1st round.

And when someone proves other GMs wrong, that someone is Ryan Pace.

?

Canth

Liked Posts:
It's a legit concern. The rumor is that many scouts had him as RT only, hence he slid out of the 1st round.

And when someone proves other GMs wrong, that someone is Ryan Pace.

?

It is a legit concern. The general sentiment appears to be that he can't do any worse than Leno, so I guess there is that.

The only other, just odd, thing about the lineman is this draft though was that it seems like every single unnamed scout and media person was trying to make all these guys either a RT or a guard. They would talk about how deep this draft was for offensive lineman in one breath and then in the next imply none of them can play LT. So, I don't know.

I noted before that Jenkins said he has worked the last couple of offseason on being a LT. So, hopefully he will be able to make that transition work.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I think most of the deal with everyone wanting to either switch guys from being a LT in the NFL or saying they are questionable at LT in the NFL is the arm length issue. It just seems like the instant any guy strays too far away from the 'ideal' 34" or longer arms, nope can't play LT.

For exmple, Alex Leatherwood is 6'5", 312 lbs, 33 7/8" arms and 9 1/2" hands. First bullet under strengths for him is:
  • Looks the part with well-proportioned frame and long arms.
Now, let's go to Teven Jenkins. NFL.com has him at 6'6", 317 lbs, 33 1/2" arms and 9 1/2" hands. First bullet under weaknesses is:
  • Very short arms for tackle position.

So, you're telling me that 3/8" is the difference between long arms and very short arms. That is just asinine.

I was not going to click on every profile, but looking at the OT's taken in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft, only 3 guys had 34" or longer arms: Christian Darrisaw, Dillon Radunz, and Spencer Brown.

I mean, I get it, in a vacuum, longer arms are better than shorter arms - especially at OT. But, there is so much more to being successful than just arm length it is crazy to me how much the media and their various unnamed scouts fixate on it. Or qualify it with - oh, well with shorter arms he is going to have to work on his technique. Like you wouldn't have to work on improving technique with longer arms. It's the NFL. Once you hit a base level of athletism, the better guys are pretty much always going to have better fundamentals and technique. And then the truly great ones add just elite size and athletism to the mix.

Teven Jenkins has the baseline athletism needed to be successful. So, now it's going to be a matter of whether or not Juan Castillo can refine his fundamentals and technique enough to be a consistent starting caliber LT in the NFL.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is a legit concern. The general sentiment appears to be that he can't do any worse than Leno, so I guess there is that.

The only other, just odd, thing about the lineman is this draft though was that it seems like every single unnamed scout and media person was trying to make all these guys either a RT or a guard. They would talk about how deep this draft was for offensive lineman in one breath and then in the next imply none of them can play LT. So, I don't know.

I noted before that Jenkins said he has worked the last couple of offseason on being a LT. So, hopefully he will be able to make that transition work.

Most of that talk centered around Jenkins and Slater I believe

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think most of the deal with everyone wanting to either switch guys from being a LT in the NFL or saying they are questionable at LT in the NFL is the arm length issue. It just seems like the instant any guy strays too far away from the 'ideal' 34" or longer arms, nope can't play LT.

For exmple, Alex Leatherwood is 6'5", 312 lbs, 33 7/8" arms and 9 1/2" hands. First bullet under strengths for him is:
  • Looks the part with well-proportioned frame and long arms.
Now, let's go to Teven Jenkins. NFL.com has him at 6'6", 317 lbs, 33 1/2" arms and 9 1/2" hands. First bullet under weaknesses is:
  • Very short arms for tackle position.

So, you're telling me that 3/8" is the difference between long arms and very short arms. That is just asinine.

I was not going to click on every profile, but looking at the OT's taken in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft, only 3 guys had 34" or longer arms: Christian Darrisaw, Dillon Radunz, and Spencer Brown.

I mean, I get it, in a vacuum, longer arms are better than shorter arms - especially at OT. But, there is so much more to being successful than just arm length it is crazy to me how much the media and their various unnamed scouts fixate on it. Or qualify it with - oh, well with shorter arms he is going to have to work on his technique. Like you wouldn't have to work on improving technique with longer arms. It's the NFL. Once you hit a base level of athletism, the better guys are pretty much always going to have better fundamentals and technique. And then the truly great ones add just elite size and athletism to the mix.

Teven Jenkins has the baseline athletism needed to be successful. So, now it's going to be a matter of whether or not Juan Castillo can refine his fundamentals and technique enough to be a consistent starting caliber LT in the NFL.
Yeah it does get ridiculous.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

By addressing a team need, he is putting pressure on the draftee? Anything to put a negative spin on it.

There’s pressure on Fields, too.

Should have traded the first rounder and second rounder for multiple seventh rounders. No pressure there.

JFC!

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
By addressing a team need, he is putting pressure on the draftee? Anything to put a negative spin on it.

There’s pressure on Fields, too.

Should have traded the first rounder and second rounder for multiple seventh rounders. No pressure there.

JFC!
This strategy worked so well with Mitch, Shaheen, Floyd, and AntMill.

It's like you start every season new and cannot learn from the past.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Other guys whose positional flexibility was questioned included vera-tucker, eichenberg, Leatherwood, cosmi (who was knocked as only being a LT God forbid), and I'm sure plenty of others I'm missing off the top of my head (other than those who were mentioned previously in this thread). It's ridiculous. The over analyzing is a bit much. The truth is the analysts are clueless where these guys can succeed

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Other guys whose positional flexibility was questioned included vera-tucker, eichenberg, Leatherwood, cosmi (who was knocked as only being a LT God forbid), and I'm sure plenty of others I'm missing off the top of my head (other than those who were mentioned previously in this thread). It's ridiculous. The over analyzing is a bit much. The truth is the analysts are clueless where these guys can succeed
I'm not saying it cannot work.

...but it's going to be a bitch if it doesn't.

Spending two picks for a position that only costs a 2nd...this is very Pace.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying it cannot work.

...but it's going to be a bitch if it doesn't.

Spending two picks for a position that only costs a 2nd...this is very Pace.
Yeah I agree that not having a veteran who could play the position if need be is a concern and mistake. I'm still holding out hope for Moses.

Not sure the point of the last sentence there. Would you have rather used our first on a LT?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I agree that not having a veteran who could play the position if need be is a concern and mistake. I'm still holding out hope for Moses.

Not sure the point of the last sentence there. Would you have rather used our first on a LT?
The point is that teams usually don't put themselves in a position were they have to spend a 2nd & 3rd on a single RT.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
The point is that teams usually don't put themselves in a position were they have to spend a 2nd & 3rd on a single RT.
They spent a 2nd and a 5th on what was likely their BPA and players they view as a LT and RT. I think their previous oline decisions have been poor. My dislike of their previous decisions doesn't affect what I think of these draft picks and them being solid picks though.

Edit: just realized traded 2nd and 3rd. Still fine with it based on value

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They spent a 2nd and a 5th on what was likely their BPA and players they view as a LT and RT. I think their previous oline decisions have been poor. My dislike of their previous decisions doesn't affect what I think of these draft picks and them being solid picks though.

Edit: just realized traded 2nd and 3rd. Still fine with it based on value
To me, it's only worth it if he starts LT and plays well enough to get a second contract.

I don't make that trade unless he's truly a 1st round grade that slipped to the second round. Pace obviously thinks he was...