Draft Thread - June 21st 2018

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Considering direction the game is going, if both (defensively oriented center) Bamba and (SF/PF with 3 point stroke) Porter are available, you take a forward who can shoot 3's and don't think twice about it.

Centers are a dying breed in NBA nowdays, they play between 15-25mpg (depending of their skill rate) in Playoffs on a true title contenders, while other key rotational guys play around 30-40mpg.

Now, don't get me wrong, an unique talent like Ayton should definitely go #1 overall, but after him you should first look at guys who can play fast paced smallball basketball (like Bagley, Doncic, Porter, Young, etc.) and not limited centers.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Dunn's main issues were consistency and finishing. If he gets those worked out, he'll be fine. He improved across the board and is already an elite defender at his position.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Guess I missed those flashes, I think our guards overall are at or near the bottom of the NBA.

And from what I’ve seen, Dunn is not in the same area code as Lowery or Bledsoe.
I would disagree with at the bottom. Dunn was not spectacular on offense, but he definitely did show some flashes. He is pretty great on defense which was his main strength when he was drafted. I would argue he is certainly worthy of a starting spot on most teams that don't have a star PG. Maybe my opinion is skewed or biased or something, but he seems more middle of the pack to me than bottom barrel.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Its looking more and more likely that this is a bears like draft where we sit at 7 and miss out on the talent:

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic

Jackson jr
Bamba
Porter Jr

Bulls

Carter jr
Young
Bridges
Bridges

I'd take Carter and get a wing later in round 1

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Everybody make a sacrifice to the god of your choosing so that Orlando chooses a guard with their pick and we can get one of Bamba or MPJ.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Everybody make a sacrifice to the god of your choosing so that Orlando chooses a guard with their pick and we can get one of Bamba or MPJ.

I think Bamba will be gone before even Orlando. He’s very impressive in interviews and his measureables/upside are through the roof

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bulls looking to move on from Dunn. Reports are they aren't impressed with his work habits.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Philly has SIX total draft selections in 2018. Two in the 1st, four in the 2nd. lulz... It's like if any team were to stash away euros, it would be Philly.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Philly has SIX total draft selections in 2018. Two in the 1st, four in the 2nd. lulz... It's like if any team were to stash away euros, it would be Philly.
Hinkie's process lives on

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Bulls looking to move on from Dunn. Reports are they aren't impressed with his work habits.

Surprised to see this. I thought we finally found a PG we could move forward with after going through like 12 in two seasons.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Surprised to see this. I thought we finally found a PG we could move forward with after going through like 12 in two seasons.

Don't mean to continually bash the guy, but I can't wrap my head around how overvalued Dunn is on this board. He is a strong backup PG, or a marginal crappy-shooting starter on a garbage lottery team. What am I missing?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't mean to continually bash the guy, but I can't wrap my head around how overvalued Dunn is on this board. He is a strong backup PG, or a marginal crappy-shooting starter on a garbage lottery team. What am I missing?
I think the hope is that he'll start shooting better. Currently he seems...streaky at best

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Trae Young is the ultimate boom or bust player. Definitely has big time star upside. And this team really needs a play maker. We don’t have any player on this team that has that type of court awareness/vision. It also doesn’t hurt that he can shoot.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's not that Dunn is 'over-valued' , it's that he gets 4m a year to do what he does and people are mad because he's not doing what 15-20m a year players do. He is a close to a defensively elite PG, so maybe people who have poor valuation of players based on defensive skill sets often can't scout players anyways, but that value is there. Offensively he is middle of the road and nobody is over-valuing him for his offense.

Trae is a consolation prize IMO. That means this team missed out and have no choice but to shift gears. It's a worthwhile risk just the same, but leaves us with a gaping development hole if they don't luck out at 22.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If they really are trying to move him the leak would be incredibly stupid. I wouldn't put anything past this organization, although for some reason I don't think they're really trying to move him.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
It's not that Dunn is 'over-valued' , it's that he gets 4m a year to do what he does and people are mad because he's not doing what 15-20m a year players do. He is a close to a defensively elite PG, so maybe people who have poor valuation of players based on defensive skill sets often can't scout players anyways, but that value is there. Offensively he is middle of the road and nobody is over-valuing him for his offense.

Trae is a consolation prize IMO. That means this team missed out and have no choice but to shift gears. It's a worthwhile risk just the same, but leaves us with a gaping development hole if they don't luck out at 22.

He’s over-valued by anyone who thinks he can be the starting PG on a competitive team. His defense and contract value are not in dispute, he would be an optimal backup PG.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
He’s over-valued by anyone who thinks he can be the starting PG on a competitive team. His defense and contract value are not in dispute, he would be an optimal backup PG.

As I mentioned, it took Bledsoe and Lowrey years before they were starting PGs on playoff teams. And at this stage of his career, Dunn is miles ahead of both at the same stage of their career, plus Dunn plays near elite defense. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. Anyone you replace Dunn with at this point would be a lateral move at best.

Trae could pan out, but then the Bulls drop or bench a rare defender. So Trae is now missing minutes because he isn't playing defense. It's Ben Gordon all-over again, except this time he can actually make some difficult passes to an almost non-existent interior presence. Even Trae would do better if the Bulls wound up with a Center that can play inside and out.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Trae Young is the ultimate boom or bust player. Definitely has big time star upside. And this team really needs a play maker. We don’t have any player on this team that has that type of court awareness/vision. It also doesn’t hurt that he can shoot.

Its a tough call, Steph proved a small man can be a force in the league, its just this current mug an roll in the NBA seems to work in the playoffs to get open shots, but when we see our bulls moving a cunt hair they get called for an offensive foul. Playoff time, it was damn near misdemeanors that were not being called.

We have Laurie, maybe Levine, Dunn, bigs, someone is going to lose playing time anyway and if its a bust at 7, dont think its such a big deal.