DUKE Thread: ACC Championship (UVA)

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Surprised Packfan didn't have CBS Sports Network on instead, Lehigh was playing Holy Cross

That's his 2nd favorite team...b/c it's all he has. :shrug:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Didn't see the game. Won't comment.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Didn't see the game. Won't comment.

It was a good game. NC State played well. Duke really missed Kelly, and Curry got hurt. Howell and Brown are both really, really good. Wood is a fake tough guy.

packfan

Liked Posts:
It was a good game. NC State played well. Duke really missed Kelly, and Curry got hurt. Howell and Brown are both really, really good. Wood is a fake tough guy.

Thornton elbowed Wood. Wood shouldn't have gotten a technical

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Miami is just dominating on the boards.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Miami is just dominating on the boards.

Miami's dominating the game. Every facet. It's pretty pathetic at this point. Duke misses Kelly, and Seth Curry's knee...but they've missed WAYYYY too many bunnies, and the defense hasn't shown up.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thoughts from the game, before the game is over:

- Duke isn't a good road team. They've got time to improve, but right now, they struggle on the other team's court.

- Duke misses Kelly...badly...but even with a healthy Kelly, they're not winning this game.

- Larkin can play. He'll be in the pros.

- Reggie Johnson is a huge space eater...though he moves on every.single.screen.

- This has always been the problem w/ Duke...basically ever since Battier/Boozer left...if they're not knocking down threes, they don't look very good. If they are, they look unbeatable.

- Mason's lack of hustle is annoying. he's getting outworked constantly and is playing about as much defense as an And1 player.

- Miami's knocking down EVERYTHING. Shooting 58% from the floor...and duke's defense has been good. not great, but they've made a lot of tough baskets.

- Murphy's played well. that's it.

- Quinn, Thornton and Curry are currently 1-27 from the field.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Reggie Johnson trying to kill time by holding the ball after Duke scores. :smh: done it twice now. dude, you're up by 25+. don't slow the game down.

bbaker

Liked Posts:
All I can think while watching this is "Shane Larkin should be at DePaul right now". Duke just got ran off the court tonight. Regroup & move on. That's all you can do. Next practice will not be very nice though, that's for sure.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All I can think while watching this is "Shane Larkin should be at DePaul right now". Duke just got ran off the court tonight. Regroup & move on. That's all you can do. Next practice will not be very nice though, that's for sure.

No doubt. My guess is it will be a camera-free practice. :lol:

You think Maryland players (Duke's next opponent) is watching this right now, all saying "dammit..."?

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
got home.saw the score.went to reddit.

duke played like garbage....this is not the first time a good duke team has been stomped on the road like this though, and it won't be the last

regroup for next game is about all you can do

bbaker

Liked Posts:
Maryland players are watching this game getting inflated egos. "Ya, we got Duke. Look how Miami handled em." It all works in Duke's favor now. Duke is going to be fired up, especially playing at home.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good Lord, Miami. up 30...1:30 left...still jacking up 3's...lol. It's dumb, but if ya can't stop 'em :shrug:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Glad that's over.

bbaker

Liked Posts:
I always enjoy Maryland-Duke bball games. It seems they always play Duke harder than they do anyone else. So far it's been a good one today.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The ACC is so confusing.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Think this has to be the first really solid beginning to finish game I have seen from Duke w/o Kelly...maybe even since before he was gone

We played decently in the first half against NC State...though our defense in that game was pitiful and Maryland's D is better than NC State's

Thoughts:
Our defense could have been better. We allowed a bit too much inside presence with Mitchell on defense(defense is an area in which we seriously miss Kelly who has turned into a fantastic post defender), but we did force a ton of turnovers, which really worked in our favor. IIRC, i think we may have had zero turnovers in the second half, but we might have had one or two. Regardless, that is extremely, extremely impressive.

Rasheed was lights out from the outside. He was getting good looks and knocking them down. Had a few good slashes to the bucket as well. This is exactly what he needs IRT to confidence because it seemed his slump or freshman wall was as much psychological as it was physical. Good to see him really getting back into the groove of things.

Mason played pretty well. Had some bad TOs in the first half, but he got in the post and made some nice passes. Also caused some trouble for Len on a few occasions, who overall didn't have that great of a night. He seemed to really shine in the second half offensively(that reverse putback dunk was absolutely insane). Plumlee needs to really solidify his position in the post and try to move his feet towards the basket and not away with it. He had a good move or two i saw at the beginning of the year that allowed him to finish close to the post instead of turning around and fading back. Some of the ability to finish like that is strength and confidence, and I think Mason has both of those. I'd be ok with Mason turning back and going for a hook, but doing that consistently or going for a fade away shot is not reliable and a lower % shot. If Mason can't get position or he gets double teamed, he needs to just kick it out like he does and find open shooters. Going off what I said earlier, position and being able to back down your man is important. I see plumlee out close to the 3 point line too much, and sometimes he can bump his defender down enough to get a good low post shot, but other times he just can't get good position. I've noticed some of the tougher post guys duke has faced this year have been fantastic at getting position and using their butts to create space(I mean that's kind of what post guys are supposed to do). Take notes Mason. But still, good game.

Quinn cook had a pretty good game, did a great job facilitating the offense, breaking down the defense and making nice set up passes. I think Quinn is getting comfortable re-adjusting to an offense that is molded a little differently without Kelly being involved in plays and not stretching out the defense.

Curry had an ok game, didn't shoot that great but had some nice scores. He also had some boneheaded plays, including a long range 3 coupled with Mason taking a really dumb next-to-the-three-point-line shot that brought Maryland back in the game. Needs to still work on his basketball IQ a bit, and not get so 3 point happy when he hits one. Don't make an agenda for yourself.

Hairston and Marshall were pretty meh. Hairston was fair on defense, slow on offense with his usually crappy hands. Had a nice basket that was set up by quinn. He seems to have to pump fake before he takes a freaking shot, a la Lance Thomas. Just go straight up, dude. Marshall still seems to not be up to game speed. When he got set up by Rasheed on one play on the baseline, he kind of freaked out and traveled. He does have ok hands and can run the court REALLY quickly, like a short limbed gazelle.

Thornton played well on D and had a few points. He's a foul magnet, though.

Amile was great. I love his heart, his passion, and he really knows what he's doing out there. He goes straight up with the shot on offense, which allows him to score easily and get plenty of chances at the stripe. He's a good defender,though he needs to get stronger. He had a few plays where his man turned the ball over soon after receiving the ball. Had a nice block or two. Ran the floor really well and set up Mason for a nice jam. Amile has been a pleasant surprise for this team.

Murphy had some nagging injury, which is why he played for like 15 seconds before he got yanked. I was kind of pissed when he was yanked, because he really didn't do anything wrong, but i didn't know about the injury. Good to be precautious

Overall, good game by Duke, and a good way to bounce back. Now we just need to do this on the road.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Code -- what do you think....can Jefferson turn into a Kelly-like player? He reminds me a LOT of Kelly as a freshman....more athleticism and lower bball IQ...but the heart, the drive, and the "whoa, he just did that?" stuff is there.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thread title updated. :shifty: