DUKE Thread: ACC Championship (UVA)

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
duke got walloped early, but they've recovered nicely.

Yeah, this game had "trap" written all over it. uva NEEDS to win this game, a home game, against a team they hate, and their current coach has never beaten. I wasn't terribly surprised by it...The refs on the baselines are calling two completely different games, but as long as they stay consistent when the teams flip ends, it'll be fine.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol at that call going to uva.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
did we have a timeout at the end of the half?

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WTF is this?
facepalm.gif

Last edited:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Meh, it happens. They were hot shooting, got a few calls and a few bounces to go their way...must-win game for them at home. Not overly concerned, though we DESPERATELY need Kelly back. Looks like he's close to coming back, though. Seemed to me like every 50/50 call went UVA's way -- but then, it always seems that way to me, and in the ACC at least, the home team does get a lot of the close calls (Duke included).

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Meh, it happens. They were hot shooting, got a few calls and a few bounces to go their way...must-win game for them at home. Not overly concerned, though we DESPERATELY need Kelly back. Looks like he's close to coming back, though. Seemed to me like every 50/50 call went UVA's way -- but then, it always seems that way to me, and in the ACC at least, the home team does get a lot of the close calls (Duke included).
Well, they've won 15 straight at home, they play us without our best post defender and 6'10 stretch 4, they play at a slow pace, their best player has a career high, they played great defense and were very disciplined(as expected), and they were actually favored in the matchup

oh and the refs were absolutely terrible. Don't believe me? Did you see how pissed K was today? Good lord.
(among the terrible calls:
Sulaimon gets the ball poked from behind, out on Duke
Mason goes across on the baseline, somehow an offensive foul, i have no idea why, didn't lower the shoulder or anything
Joe Harris moving screen on Thornton
Jump ball called a foul on Sulaimon, then Sulaimon gets T'd up
Virginia guy travels at the end of the first half, blatant and not called)

So,ya, chalk this one up and move on. I was expecting a loss.

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't see the game, but this doesn't sound good - from either side:

Coach K, Devils confronted by fans after loss

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, angry over what he perceived as a lack of crowd control while his Blue Devils tried to leave the court following Thursday’s loss at Virginia, traded F-bombs with at least one fan and had to be restrained by security before being ushered into his locker room.

As students and fans at John Paul Jones Arena stormed the court after the Cavaliers' 73-68 win over the No. 3 team in the nation, there was no rope line giving Duke’s players, coaches and personnel a path to get off the court, leaving them to fight their way through the crowd with aid from only a couple of security guards and a local policeman.

The 66-year-old Krzyzewski stopped and hollered an F-bomb at a fan before security could drag him away. Right behind the Hall of Fame coach were his players, some cursing at fans, some ignoring it and ducking into the hallway. Assistant coach Jeff Capel went back and yelled a few curse words while another assistant coach, Steve Wojciechowski, did his best to quickly usher players into the safe area.
http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/0...a/msn_landing.html?blockID=871813&feedID=3736

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Traded F Bombs? Who cares lol

Havoc

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Traded F Bombs? Who cares lol

That doesn't represent the school or the program very well. I'd think that would be embarrassing to Duke fans, a coach that can't control his emotions over a game. Coach K may be a basketball genius, but it's very unbecoming.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What a way to show appreciation to the fans :lol:
Pretty sure when your team loses in a frustrating manner on the road, where the refs are horrible, and you get almost T'd up by these same referees after your played gets T'd for saying "all ball" when it clearly was "all ball", then you, as a coach, would probably like to do nothing more than get the fuck out of there(not to mention K probably saw this coming from a mile away).

After the game, he and the duke players were trying to get back safely, but the fans rushed the court which caused all kinds of chaos and safety hazards. Compounding this with what I said in the previous wall of text, K was beyond frustrated, and it understandably boiled over. He certainly was not the only one cursing in that situation, and K is a bit known for his colorful language at times. K said after the game to the press he was fine with the students rushing and i'm sure he "appreciates" the fans, but the important thing is that they get out of there safely.

Maybe the fans could show appreciation for the opposing team by either waiting for them to leave before completely consuming the court, or trying to meander around these players rather than trying to swallow them up.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quiet DP. Your team sucks. :lol:

:troll:
:mad:

Pretty sure when your team loses in a frustrating manner on the road, where the refs are horrible, and you get almost T'd up by these same referees after your played gets T'd for saying "all ball" when it clearly was "all ball", then you, as a coach, would probably like to do nothing more than get the fuck out of there(not to mention K probably saw this coming from a mile away).

After the game, he and the duke players were trying to get back safely, but the fans rushed the court which caused all kinds of chaos and safety hazards. Compounding this with what I said in the previous wall of text, K was beyond frustrated, and it understandably boiled over. He certainly was not the only one cursing in that situation, and K is a bit known for his colorful language at times. K said after the game to the press he was fine with the students rushing and i'm sure he "appreciates" the fans, but the important thing is that they get out of there safely.

Maybe the fans could show appreciation for the opposing team by either waiting for them to leave before completely consuming the court, or trying to meander around these players rather than trying to swallow them up.
I completely agree, I just think Coach K is above getting into a cussing match with kids right after the game. Just get yourself and your team off the court ASAP then make comments in the post game without confronting students :shrug:

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I completely agree, I just think Coach K is above getting into a cussing match with kids right after the game. Just get yourself and your team off the court ASAP then make comments in the post game without confronting students :shrug:
I understand how people can be a little taken back by K cussing, and he probably shouldn't have done it, but if you put yourself in his shoes you can see why it happened. Another thing to consider is that maybe cursing is the only way he could have been really heard, because people pay more attention to obtrusive language. He was probably getting drowned out a bit by the students. Anyway, the whole point is that he probably shouldn't have done it, but this is far from some absolute embarrassment to the program. I mean cmon.

K was trying to get his team off the court but he couldn't because of all the students rushing in. That's the point. Two of the players almost got injured. And he did make comments in the post game as well to draw attention to the situation. K, as i said, is perfectly ok with the students rushing, he's just concerned for his player's safety.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He shouldn't have done it....but I don't blame him, and I HIGHLY doubt he's the only coach to do this... Storming the court happens every time a team beats a better team at home anymore -- it's a bit ridiculous.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He shouldn't have done it....but I don't blame him, and I HIGHLY doubt he's the only coach to do this... Storming the court happens every time a team beats a better team at home anymore -- it's a bit ridiculous.

this

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
the muthafuckin white raven

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Watching Kelly take the fuck over when Curry, Plumlee and Sulaimon couldn't shoot was a thing of beauty. They'll get back to playing together just in time.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The 2nd half against VT was beautiful. Everything they needed to do, they did. 4 players with 14+ points, and Kelly, though not the fleetest of foot, is a matchup nightmare with his inside/outside game. Well done, Dukies!