Duncan Keith - Norris Trophy Lock?

Variable

Liked Posts:
Well it's a good thing I didn't come up with that theory then. Because I never said that a good defensive team can do that. The Hawks are a really good offensive and  defensive team that has been either the top or near top of the league in puck possession. Big difference there. It's easy to move the goalposts in any discussion Jim, it's nothing special. You went from asking  what goalie(s) would a championship team need in order to be successful  to me now somehow coming up with a non-existent theory of how a good defensive team can win with average goal tending.</p>

</p>

And Ton, again, was Niemi "reputable" before 2010? Was Crawford?  I was asked what type of goalie would a championship caliber team need and I answered it. The one's they've had those seasons. Unproven goalies. Average to slightly above average. Since most all goalies depend on the quality of the team, if you're the Hawks, there's no need to shell out extra money for that position. Even if it's only something like a 1.5-2 million difference in cap hit when it comes down to it. Because for a team like the Hawks who will be scraping the cap ceiling for the foreseeable future, that type of money is the difference in having to reluctantly let go or move players like Ladd.</p>

</p>

There's a lot more gray area between the Henrik Lundqvists and the Carter Huttons of the league Ton. It's all moot because the Hawks already committed money to Crawford, but there are/were moves they could've made. You mentioned Reimer in that, I'd take him easily. On the Hawks? Have you seen the Leafs? They are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. A goalie's worst nightmare of a team in how they play. Being even average there by the numbers, to me, makes him pretty damn reputable and just as if not more proven than a lot of "established" goalies in the league. That's just not how it's seen across the board in hockey because the advanced metrics are still looked down on by a lot of people. But that's a big part of the future of hockey analysis.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="225556" data-time="1397349963">
<div>

Well it's a good thing I didn't come up with that theory then. Because I never said that a good defensive team can do that. The Hawks are a really good offensive and  defensive team that has been either the top or near top of the league in puck possession. Big difference there. It's easy to move the goalposts in any discussion Jim, it's nothing special. You went from asking  what goalie(s) would a championship team need in order to be successful  to me now somehow coming up with a non-existent theory of how a good defensive team can win with average goal tending.</p>

</p>

And Ton, again, was Niemi "reputable" before 2010? Was Crawford?  I was asked what type of goalie would a championship caliber team need and I answered it. The one's they've had those seasons. Unproven goalies. Average to slightly above average. Since most all goalies depend on the quality of the team, if you're the Hawks, there's no need to shell out extra money for that position. Even if it's only something like a 1.5-2 million difference in cap hit when it comes down to it. Because for a team like the Hawks who will be scraping the cap ceiling for the foreseeable future, that type of money is the difference in having to reluctantly let go or move players like Ladd.</p>

</p>

There's a lot more gray area between the Henrik Lundqvists and the Carter Huttons of the league Ton. It's all moot because the Hawks already committed money to Crawford, but there are/were moves they could've made. You mentioned Reimer in that, I'd take him easily. On the Hawks? Have you seen the Leafs? They are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. A goalie's worst nightmare of a team in how they play. Being even average there by the numbers, to me, makes him pretty damn reputable and just as if not more proven than a lot of "established" goalies in the league. That's just not how it's seen across the board in hockey because the advanced metrics are still looked down on by a lot of people. But that's a big part of the future of hockey analysis.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Idiotic, you are still saying the Hawks could win the cup with a Peter Budaj type goalie because of the quality of their defensive players. :violence-hammer:</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
......What? Let me ask you a question, what do you classify puck possession  as Spunky?  Just askin'.  god almighty lol.</p>

</p>

Because if you honestly don't understand what that is exactly and the importance of it (to me the most important aspect of the game), then of course all this is going over your head.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="225573" data-time="1397363578">
<div>

......What? Let me ask you a question, what do you classify puck possession  as Spunky?  Just askin'.  god almighty lol.</p>

</p>

Because if you honestly don't understand what that is exactly and the importance of it (to me the most important aspect of the game), then of course all this is going over your head.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

DUH !   Deary Me</p>

</p>

Puck possession along with a very good defense still isn't enough to mask the shortcomings of a weak goalie, You still haven't named a goalie who would have saved a couple mil and taken this team to the promised land. Had they not re-signed Crow, and signed a net-minder for a couple mil less per year, Hawk fans would be clamoring for Stans head. The Hawks would be THAT team with shaky goaltending because the GM went on the cheap.  </p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
They've already done that with Niemi. And going on the cheap? Kane and Toews are both set to probably make 9 mil each. As long as they don't go crazy, Saad will be here with a raise as will Leddy. They're going to be at the cap ceiling no matter what. Its ridiculous that in order to keep the kind of offensive and defensive depth and talent the Hawks enjoy over pretty much every team in the league, that to you Bowman would be seen as cheap in cutting back the cap hit on the position that depends most on those exact strengths they have and which enables them to be so good with possessing the puck.

Again you don't seem to understand the importance of that.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="225601" data-time="1397411714">

They've already done that with Niemi. And going on the cheap? Kane and Toews are both set to probably make 9 mil each. As long as they don't go crazy, Saad will be here with a raise as will Leddy. They're going to be at the cap ceiling no matter what. Its ridiculous that in order to keep the kind of offensive and defensive depth and talent the Hawks enjoy over pretty much every team in the league, that to you Bowman would be seen as cheap in cutting back the cap hit on the position that depends most on those exact strengths they have and which enables them to be so good with possessing the puck.

Again you don't seem to understand the importance of that.</p></blockquote>

You don't seem to understand the importance of goaltending.

This is proven by your inability to name this cost-effective goaltender that can do what Crawford does.

This cost-effective goaltender has to be able to bail out this puck-possession/deep-defensive team in the Stanley Cup playoff like Crawford did.

Variable

Liked Posts:
It won't matter who I say. I brought up Khudobin and you scoffed. Its clear enough now youre already of a certain mindset with goalies, which is why this has become pointless to continue with you. I m sure if someone said that some undrafted rookie goalie from Finland would "lead" the Hawks to their first Cup in almost 50 years you would've scoffed as well. Or that after the 12' playoffs Crawford would be good enough to win the Cup the next season. Its happened twice already and you still don't get it.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="225608" data-time="1397421675">

It won't matter who I say. I brought up Khudobin and you scoffed. Its clear enough now youre already of a certain mindset with goalies, which is why this has become pointless to continue with you. I m sure if someone said that some undrafted rookie goalie from Finland would "lead" the Hawks to their first Cup in almost 50 years you would've scoffed as well. Or that after the 12' playoffs Crawford would be good enough to win the Cup the next season. Its happened twice already and you still don't get it.</p></blockquote>

Crawford was an established NHL goaltender when he led the Blackhawks to the 'Cup last year.

He has proven himself to be a valuable as any other player on the roster.

Yet you're advocating a different goalie because....I'm not sure why.

Dumping your goalie after winning a championship is Ladyhawk crazy.

Congrats on grabbing that brass ring

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="225622" data-time="1397439445">
<div>

Crawford was an established NHL goaltender when he led the Blackhawks to the 'Cup last year.

He has proven himself to be a valuable as any other player on the roster.

Yet you're advocating a different goalie because....I'm not sure why.

Dumping your goalie after winning a championship is Ladyhawk crazy.

</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Yeah that pretty much sums this entire thing up seeing as how that's exactly what the Hawks did. Thanks. </p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="225642" data-time="1397458531">
<div>

Yeah that pretty much sums this entire thing up seeing as how that's exactly what the Hawks did. Thanks. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

No.  They couldn't afford Niemi.  It was an odd situation, and they decided that they wanted Hammer over him.</p>

</p>

If they weren't cap-fucked, they would have kept him.  I can't think of another situation like that before or since.</p>

</p>

Crawford had a much better playoff than Niemi did.  Without him, they wouldn't have beaten Detroit or Boston.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tony DeFrancesco" data-cid="225534" data-time="1397323407">
<div>

So you want a starting goaltender, but don't want to pay for one... what exactly do you expect? If you're not getting a starter, you're giving guys like that a chance. The Raantas, the Emerys, Lindbacks, Reimers, Berras, Bryzgalovs, Dubnyks... no one reputable is going to sign to be a starting goaltender for under $4M in todays NHL. If you think one of those guys (unproven, 2nd chance guys) can win the Cup with the Hawks, well that's great. I think you'll be playing musical chairs with the goaltender position hoping one of them can handle the pressure at some point.

You mention a handful of teams that pay for goaltenders and missed the playoffs (teams like PHX and NSH, who don't spend up to the cap anyway like the Hawks do), but don't mention LA, Boston, NYR, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Montreal, Dallas, St. Louis, Columbus, Detroit, and Anaheim... all of them playoff teams, and all of them paying a goaltender top 15 money, which means all of them, except Hiller and Niemi (both their contracts expire after this season), make over $5M in a cap hit. FYI, there's 16 teams in the playoffs. You do the math.

Of the teams that aren't paying top dollar for a goaltender, COL, TB, and PHI will after this season, since all their #1 goaltenders are on expiring contracts.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Ton, out of those teams, Anaheim did it with about 4 different goalies this year, Jimmy Howard was awful/ injured this year, St. Louis has a platoon situation and traded away their starter for another, Pittsburgh begrudgingly used Fluery and after all didn't have a very good year, Niemi "got the job done" but right now I am reading the Sharks are worried about his shaky play after an up and down year.  </p>

</p>

L.A., Boston, Montreal, NYR, Dallas, those teams got their money worth. Obviously the above teams are paying for goaltending, but looking into it most of those teams didn't get what they paid for. </p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="225601" data-time="1397411714">
<div>

Again you don't seem to understand the importance of that.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

You're operating under the assumption that we can and will keep everyone.  We won't and we'll see how good the management really is in decisions going forward--hell, they were able to do it after the purge of 2010. 

</p>

I don't think we could have gotten better or equal for less than Crawford money.  Guys like Niemi and Miller will ask and demand for more.  Anything less and we're going tino a situation where you have Raanta for the backup.....and that's about it.  Even in 2010 Crawford was below Niemi/Huet on the depthchart and had NHL experience.  Going into next year we are incredibly weak below Raanta--I don't think Simpson or Carruth are anywehre near ready.</p>

</p>

Thus, the slack will be taken up in the skaters, and again, we can't keep everyone.  Maybe Leddy/Oduya has to walk so that Clendening/Dahlbeck can come up.  Maybe Shaw or Saad have to walk. Who knows, but that's the game for ya.</p>

</p>

But ultimately, we need a goalie who is "good enough", meaning at least a Niemi or a Crawford.  "Good enough" doesn't mean "Jason Labarbera"</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's interesting to speculate.</p>

Brodeur will be on the open market next year, and the price tag might be nice, because he probably wants to be slotted into a platoon role on a possible winner. Q did that with Craw/Emery last season, so you may see that happen with Raanta seasoning in the AHL.

I'll play the Armchair GM role when this season closes when we can all bang our heads together wondering if/when this team will get a #2 C, and the news of cap ceiling is released. </p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BHP" data-cid="225683" data-time="1397490621">
<div>

Brodeur will be on the open market next year, and the price tag might be nice, because he probably wants to be slotted into a platoon role on a possible winner. Q did that with Craw/Emery last season, so you may see that happen with Raanta seasoning in the AHL.

I'll play the Armchair GM role when this season closes when we can all bang our heads together wondering if/when this team will get a #2 C, and the news of cap ceiling is released. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I wouldn't count on any sort of platoon situation when Crawford is pulling is $6M/year</p>

</p>

I would hope that Quenneville would give Raanta 20-25% of the starts.</p>

</p>

Not sure the Blackhawks will be able to afford a name backup.</p>

</p>

At least not until they trade Seabrook.</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="225690" data-time="1397493217">
<div>

I wouldn't count on any sort of platoon situation when Crawford is pulling is $6M/year</p>

</p>

I would hope that Quenneville would give Raanta 20-25% of the starts.</p>

</p>

Not sure the Blackhawks will be able to afford a name backup.</p>

</p>

At least not until they trade Seabrook.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

For some reason I can see the Blackhawks doing that.</p>

Also, if this organization hides Huet in the AHL, it may also platoon a 6m/yr netminder.

Anything is possible. 

I've learned to take the good with the weird any day. 2 cups in 4 years makes me very forgiving. </p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BHP" data-cid="225692" data-time="1397494539">
<div>

For some reason I can see the Blackhawks doing that.</p>

Also, if this organization hides Huet in the AHL, it may also platoon a 6m/yr netminder.

Anything is possible. 

I've learned to take the good with the weird any day. 2 cups in 4 years makes me very forgiving. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

We talked about that a few months back.</p>

</p>

It would not surprise me at all.  </p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BHP" data-cid="225683" data-time="1397490621">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Brodeur is done. He whining himself to as many starts as he did might have cost the Devils a playoff spot. He was awful.</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="roshinaya" data-cid="225705" data-time="1397497249">
<div>

Brodeur is done. He whining himself to as many starts as he did might have cost the Devils a playoff spot. He was awful.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I didn't notice him whining. Perhaps I wan't paying attention much.

Brodeur played average to a stellar Schneider, who had 0 goal support. They were shut out at least 10 times this season.

Kovalchuk flying to the KHL was a bitter pill to swallow offensively. 

</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="roshinaya" data-cid="225705" data-time="1397497249">

Brodeur is done. He whining himself to as many starts as he did might have cost the Devils a playoff spot. He was awful.</p></blockquote>
Fatso whining? SHOCKING!!

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BHP" data-cid="225714" data-time="1397498158">
<div>

I didn't notice him whining. Perhaps I wan't paying attention much.

Brodeur played average to a stellar Schneider, who had 0 goal support. They were shut out at least 10 times this season.

Kovalchuk flying to the KHL was a bitter pill to swallow offensively. 

</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Ho. Lee. Shit. It was exactly 10. I knew they were bad, but I had no idea they were this bad.</p>