ESPNNews: Ric Bucher on Gordon

sephcast

Liked Posts:
Bucher says the following:
[li]
Gordon looks to be a lock to end up in Detroit.[/li]
[li]Bulls would like to keep him, but it has to be at the right price. Bulls have already put that price out there.[/li]
[li]Pistons have the means to spend a little more on Ben.[/li]
[li]Even if the offers were equal, Ben left on bad terms and is frustrated at the negotiations of the last 2 years.[/li]
[li]If Gordon has the opportunity to get paid a measurable sum, elsewhere, he will take it.[/li]

Note that Bucher also said Kobe was never going to wear a Laker uniform again.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Gordon's a smart man. He made himself the top free agent of the 2009 free agent class.

He was going up against an oft-injured player in Carlos Boozer, Allen Iverson (old, and with a team killer reputation now), and the 1999 draft class (which are exiting their prime and getting old). Now that Boozer's opted in, there is no doubt about who the top free agent is.

Bulls should match the Pistons offer, unless the Pistons want to go max or near-max.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
From what I've gathered talking to KC tonight it seems to me that won't give Gordon better offer than Hinrich contract as he told me they value Hinrich more than Gordon

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dpauley23 wrote:
From what I've gathered talking to KC tonight it seems to me that won't give Gordon better offer than Hinrich contract as he told me they value Hinrich more than Gordon
I call BS right now...in hopes that BG will resign <_<

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Gordon's a smart man. He made himself the top free agent of the 2009 free agent class.

He was going up against an oft-injured player in Carlos Boozer, Allen Iverson (old, and with a team killer reputation now), and the 1999 draft class (which are exiting their prime and getting old). Now that Boozer's opted in, there is no doubt about who the top free agent is.

Bulls should match the Pistons offer, unless the Pistons want to go max or near-max.

Still wouldn't give him a dime over 10mil per. That is it and if he wants to go elsewhere, so be it.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:

The national guys have a much better pulse than the Chicago guys regarding contract deals and trades.

So it comes down to Chris Broussard vs. Ric Bucher.

Nothing that Ric Bucher has ever said, as far as I know, has ended up coming true. This isn't just hyperbole, I honestly cannot recall one time something he predicted coming true. From Kobe playing his last game in LA, Amare getting traded to Cleveland or Chicago at the deadline, Raptors trading Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire traded to Golden State.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
The national guys have a much better pulse than the Chicago guys regarding contract deals and trades.

So it comes down to Chris Broussard vs. Ric Bucher.

Nothing that Ric Bucher has ever said, as far as I know, has ended up coming true. This isn't just hyperbole, I honestly cannot recall one time something he predicted coming true. From Kobe playing his last game in LA, Amare getting traded to Cleveland or Chicago at the deadline, Raptors trading Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire traded to Golden State.

I don't think KC's off when he says the organization values Hinrich more than Gordon. I haven't talked to any managerial types in quite some time, but when I did that statement was absolutely true.

Jamfan

Twitter: @jamfan41
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Still wouldn't give him a dime over 10mil per. That is it and if he wants to go elsewhere, so be it.
+1

I think people have to face it, the Luol Deng signing absolutely hurt us. If we give Gordon a huge contract like 11-13 million per year and he turns out like Deng, we're f'n screwed for 6 years and we won't be able to build a team around Rose.

This organization has said multiple times this offseason that they want to get better defensively and let's face it, Gordon is below average on defense.

If Gordon does not resign, we will probably miss the playoffs next year but we weren't winning a championship next year with Gordon anyways. The 2010 draft class is really good and we'll get a great pick out of it and we'll have cap room to add a 2010 free agent.

We need to move on and grab a Bosh or Amare (most likely Bosh) and start building our franchise around Rose.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Naw Gordon is average on defense. Granted that's as good as he'll ever get, but he's average. People always go with the image of his rookie season: star 6th man, crap defender. He would still be a great 6th man (though he should start on this team) but he's a much better defender now.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
DerrickRose1 wrote:
houheffna wrote:

+1

I think people have to face it, the Luol Deng signing absolutely hurt us. If we give Gordon a huge contract like 11-13 million per year and he turns out like Deng, we're f'n screwed for 6 years and we won't be able to build a team around Rose.

This organization has said multiple times this offseason that they want to get better defensively and let's face it, Gordon is below average on defense.

If Gordon does not resign, we will probably miss the playoffs next year but we weren't winning a championship next year with Gordon anyways. The 2010 draft class is really good and we'll get a great pick out of it and we'll have cap room to add a 2010 free agent.

We need to move on and grab a Bosh or Amare (most likely Bosh) and start building our franchise around Rose.

With that logic, we shouldn't pay Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Tyrus Thomas, James Johnson when they come up for extensions, what they're worth, in fear of them turning out like Deng.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Gordon couldn't guard a blind quadraplegic if you handcuffed BG to the wheelchair. Neither could Rose, that is why they want to do better defensively. If he was adequate defensively, they wouldn't complain. He is not adequate, he is not average defensively.

Jamfan

Liked Posts:
Derrick was a rookie last season and has all the potential to be a good defender in this league.

Jamfan

Liked Posts:
With that logic, we shouldn't pay Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Tyrus Thomas, James Johnson when they come up for extensions, what they're worth, in fear of them turning out like Deng.
I wouldn't pay Tyrus much more than the QO. He'll be a 6th man at best in the NBA in my opinion. I've given him the benefit of the doubt the last 2 years and he's disappointed me in both.

I really like Gordon but I don't want to overpay for him like we did with Deng which is why I'd say 10 million a year...take it or leave it.

Jamfan

Liked Posts:
People say the Bulls are going to horrible next season without Gordon but if you think about it, the Bulls were horrible WITH Ben Gordon before the Salmons/Miller trade. Without that trade, the Bulls don't make the playoffs. The Bulls were like 8 under .500 before the trade I think. And remember, Rose will be even better next season and it would be nice to get a contribution out of Deng. Also you have an improving Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas in his money year. The Bulls WILL be a playoff team with or without Gordon next season.

Edit: I'm not saying the Bulls are better off without Gordon because they aren't, I'm just saying it's not the end of the world if Gordon does leave.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Edit: I'm not saying the Bulls are better off without Gordon because they aren't, I'm just saying it's not the end of the world if Gordon does leave.

Amen

cranscape

Liked Posts:
DerrickRose1 wrote:
People say the Bulls are going to horrible next season without Gordon but if you think about it, the Bulls were horrible WITH Ben Gordon before the Salmons/Miller trade.

Our back court was fine all season once we stopped the silly Thabo and Hughes experiment. They were excellent if you consider the kind of learning curve Rose went through and how Gordon was jerked around the first month. What changed was Noah and Tyrus. Our front court STANK the first half of the season. We started Gray a few games. Gray. Let that sink in. Gooden started at times too....Mr Defensive Sieve himself (and front court defense is way more important than back court).

Noah and Tyrus started to get better after Gooden's injury and then the Salmons/Miller trade was icing on the cake (along with Hinrich getting healthy). Our front court achieved at least an average rather than rotten during that time period. That does a lot especially noting the fact our back court was awesome and we have an idiot for a coach.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Ric Bucher just said on ESPN that Ben Gordon will be the first player to switch jerseys.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Yes they did start to get better, but bringing Salmons and Miller to the team added dimensions that this team didn't have before. And no, the backcourt was not fine, they couldn't guard anybody. Salmons was able to guard the other teams wing players effectively while scoring on the other end. Miller has a better shot than Tyrus, and he was effective in getting his shot off, even with that very slow fake of his. Don't think the team would have made the playoffs without Miller and Salmons.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Ric Bucher just said on ESPN that Ben Gordon will be the first player to switch jerseys.

Just saw that.

Jamfan

Liked Posts:
Saw it as well