FA 2023

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Payne is the guy on whose doorstep you show up at 12:01 on the day FA opens and don't leave until he is smiling and asking how you like your eggs cooked.

LOL, yeah you bring all cash. Id show up like the mattress guy that won the World Series bet. A wheelbarrow with 50 mil bundled up.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears go out and sign:

Robert Quinn
Adrian Amos
Akiem Hicks
Jon Bostic
Artie Burns
Deon Bush
Bryce Callahan
Adam Shaheen
Jason Peters
Bobbie Massie

Super Bears, Superbowl!

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Ethan pocic
A RT would be nice not sure which tbh Conklin seems to be the choice but I'd prioritize center.

Bobby okereke/TJ Edwards/Tremaine Edmunds pick your linebacker

Darius slayton ? Jacobi Meyers ? Trent sherfield I mean slot/outside hybrid dude to swap places with Mooney maybe (on the field) ?

Hargrave is my #1 DL choice
I wonder if we can potentially see John Franklin Meyers as a 3tech and rotational piece on the line. He has a out on his contract for the 2023 season.
NT no idea who is available and can play this spot right now.
Keep armon watts

A pass rushing DE cheap 2nd life player there just isn't any good ones in FA.

CB extend jaylon or sign a Jamel dean perhaps see what's up with Johnson see them play as 1 and 2 if JJ still sucks trade or let him hit FA.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It probably seems to be getting worse as of late due to no pressure on the QB after trading away those guys on defense.

Don’t go over prioritizing a position that is heavily dependent upon other positions. Get defensive linemen and pass rushers, and the guys in the back end will look alot better
Bump.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't spend a fortune on the OL though wouldn't mind some help. I prefer to develop there but obviously we need help so a vet C that's better than what we have would be awesome. Try to ramp up the DL starters and WR depth. Stud Backer. Backup QB that can better mimic Fields style. Edge CB but some of this is better to draft.
The two position groups that I constantly flip flop on is what the Bears should do with the offensive line and the wide receivers.

They have a ton of young (& cheap) talent on the offensive line, all capable of improving by next season. Not signing a FA like Orlando Brown Jr. or Jack Conklin would give the Bears a lot of money to spend elsewhere.

I also flip flop on how to address the receiver position. The FA class is so weak that I’d rather keep the current group then overpay for mediocre talent. It’s still too early to grade out the draft class, but so far, I’m not overly impressed.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields is the Ferrari, protect him at all costs. Steal Orlando Brown Jr. away from KC by giving him the contract he wants (& KC failed to do). Then add some more competition at center, guys like Garrett Bradbury and Ethan Pocic should be available.

*Crazy take* Keep the same WR room. I want to see what Claypool looks like with a full training camp. Plus, I’d rather they hold out for Marvin Harrison Jr. next year. He’s 100 % legit (barring no injury).

The Bears defensive line is their greatest weakness. Daron Payne is an obvious target, but not enough to solve the problem. I’d pour a lot of draft capital on upgrading the defensive line. A Payne/Breese duo would be sick.

The Bears still need a lot of help at LB too. A veteran LB like Deion Jones would be a nice fit at a reasonable cost. He’s excellent in coverage. I could see Eberflus pounding on the table for Tremaine Edmonds, but it would depend on the $.

I’d like to see the Bears sign Ashtyn Davis as a backup FS. The guy has struggled with injuries but has all the physical tools you could ask for out of a safety. Give him a year to develop behind Eddie Jackson.
Like a lot of the ideas, but KC isn’t letting Orlando brown go anywhere. They’ll have 26 mil in cap space (before cuts/restructures). That, and teams don’t give up a 1st round, 3rd round, 4th and 5th round picks for elite left tackles just to let them walk away.

This guys getting tagged if they don’t have a new deal.

Agree 100% on Harrison Jr. and Payne. And Bradbury at C. Vikes walk into spring in the red cap wise (they have to shed 9 mil per Spotrac).

Add Samson Ebukam at DE. Similar defensive scheme, he’s having a great year, bears have a huge need at DE and San Fran has very little cap this coming spring (4 and change mil per spotrac) and the following spring they have to pay Bosa.

Deion Jones turned 28 a week ago and is still playing very well. I’d want to know how you interpret ‘reasonable cost’ for him.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles has to get the very best Tackle and Center he can, no matter the price. Unless its a first. If a Top guy is available, even if it costs a second or third, you get him.
I'd agree. If for whatever reason Cleveland lets Conklin hit FA I'm sure the Bears will be blowing up his phone when FA hits....at least I'd hope.

In regards to Center- I could see Poles bring back Mustipher/Patrick for minimum/little to no guaranteed and look for his C in the draft. He was a factor in nailing Creed Humphrey and could see him wanting to do that again here. I'm thinking top of the 3rd Round is the perfect spot for that.

If you told me the Braxton, Cody and Teven were the other starters while bringing back all the other young prospects they have in the org to compete for spots...I'd be down with that.

I think the other big dollars will be going to the interior of the DL.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
on offense -
conklin RT
campbell WR
mattison RB

on defense -
daron payne NT
d'remont jones 3T
tj edwards LB

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Daron Payne has to be target #1, maybe Jones from the Broncos. Either one would terrorize teams, if they add an NFL caliber edge in the draft. Pick up Edmunds from the Bills, and maybe Byron Murphy.

On offense poach a few linemen, hopefully the Browns center or Conklin, sign a decent back up tight end and #3 receiver.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Think thats very short sighted personally
Well, he has not played well. Bears will have the resources to upgrade so they should do it. Why mess around protecting the blindside of the franchise’s most important asset. I think taking the hope and pray approach is a very bad idea.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well, he has not played well. Bears will have the resources to upgrade so they should do it. Why mess around protecting the blindside of the franchise’s most important asset. I think taking the hope and pray approach is a very bad idea.

He has played like a talented rookie. Sometimes he looks great. Sometimes he looks awful. But he certainly doesn’t look like someone you give up on after a year.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Like a lot of the ideas, but KC isn’t letting Orlando brown go anywhere. They’ll have 26 mil in cap space (before cuts/restructures). That, and teams don’t give up a 1st round, 3rd round, 4th and 5th round picks for elite left tackles just to let them walk away.

This guys getting tagged if they don’t have a new deal.

Agree 100% on Harrison Jr. and Payne. And Bradbury at C. Vikes walk into spring in the red cap wise (they have to shed 9 mil per Spotrac).

Add Samson Ebukam at DE. Similar defensive scheme, he’s having a great year, bears have a huge need at DE and San Fran has very little cap this coming spring (4 and change mil per spotrac) and the following spring they have to pay Bosa.

Deion Jones turned 28 a week ago and is still playing very well. I’d want to know how you interpret ‘reasonable cost’ for him.
Orlando Brown Jr. is still my first target, but I agree, KC might do whatever is needed to keep him. They certainly aren’t trending in the right direction after failing to extend him, but they could FT him a maximum of 2 more times.

There really isn’t a ton of FA offensive line talent available. Elgton Jenkins (Getsy connection), Jack Conklin, Mike McGlinchey (similar scheme), & Andre Dillard (Ian Cunningham connection) are potential options, but the Bears could sit tight at tackle and develop Braxton Jones & Larry Borom.

Marvin Harrison Jr. is the next elite NFL WR. IF the Bears trade down, they should stockpile those picks to be prepared to move up for him next year. He’s worth it.

I’m not familiar with Samson Ebkam. Is he a depth piece or a starter? What about Marcus Davenport or Jadeveon Clowney? Do you see them leaving their teams?

For Deion Jones, I just mean he won’t get top dollar like some of the other guys (Roquan, Edmonds, Edwards, etc.)

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Daron Payne has to be target #1, maybe Jones from the Broncos. Either one would terrorize teams, if they add an NFL caliber edge in the draft. Pick up Edmunds from the Bills, and maybe Byron Murphy.

On offense poach a few linemen, hopefully the Browns center or Conklin, sign a decent back up tight end and #3 receiver.

What is with this insane obsession with Payne ? I'd take hargraves over him. You get 4-5 years to draft his replacement and is the better player.
Orlando Brown Jr. is still my first target, but I agree, KC might do whatever is needed to keep him. They certainly aren’t trending in the right direction after failing to extend him, but they could FT him a maximum of 2 more times.

There really isn’t a ton of FA offensive line talent available. Elgton Jenkins (Getsy connection), Jack Conklin, Mike McGlinchey (similar scheme), & Andre Dillard (Ian Cunningham connection) are potential options, but the Bears could sit tight at tackle and develop Braxton Jones & Larry Borom.

Marvin Harrison Jr. is the next elite NFL WR. IF the Bears trade down, they should stockpile those picks to be prepared to move up for him next year. He’s worth it.

I’m not familiar with Samson Ebkam. Is he a depth piece or a starter? What about Marcus Davenport or Jadeveon Clowney? Do you see them leaving their teams?

For Deion Jones, I just mean he won’t get top dollar like some of the other guys (Roquan, Edmonds, Edwards, etc.)
Fuck clowney and davenport just doesn't get sacks

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What is with this insane obsession with Payne ? I'd take hargraves over him. You get 4-5 years to draft his replacement and is the better player.

Age. People are assuming players close to 30 won’t be on the list.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Fuck clowney and davenport just doesn't get sacks
Hargrove is cool with me. Both are fine players. I live in Washington DC now and get more Commanders coverage than I’d like. But Payne is an underrated beast of a player, playing for a trash organization like Washington. Either DT would be a win.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Conklin, Schuster

On defense Washingtons DT Payne, if he becomes available

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I would take a look at Nicole Hardman. I normally don't like receivers from KC because their stats are often inflated playing next to Mahomes, but Hardman wouldn't cost a fortune to sign, and he's played with Fields before at Georgia. His play speed is unreal. Outside of Tyreek Hill, I'm not sure I've seen another player who looks faster out there on the field than Hardman.

Between Mooney, Claypool, Hardman, and Velus Jones (assuming he can even play), that is a really fast WR core. Then you could target a possession style receiver in the draft.