Fanbase Polarization Poll

Where do you stand?

• Total voters

RPMcMurphy47

Liked Posts:
The way I more see it is that Bears ownership more than most is concerned about tradition and their image of looking like a respectable organization. They are old school like that. They aren’t as results and money driven as the Jerry Jones of the industry.
Good points. They must evolve eventually. The times of a running offense and great D isn't the way to build a team anymore.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Fields is a very accurate downfield thrower. - CW is even better

Fields is great with his legs, but has consistency issues within structure.

Fields doesn't seem to have that "killer/clutch" gene that most star QB's have to crush their opponents or consistently lead comebacks.

CW has a quicker release, better mechanics, can play within structure, read defenses better and his "hero ball" skillset is what all of the greats have and display those handful of times when it is absolutely necessary to snatch victory out of the jaws of defeat late in a game. (Rodgers with a flair of Mahomes)

This is the Bears' shoot for the moon moment... and they can practically reach out and touch it, it's so close.
Somewhat true. But you conveniently leave out any negatives about CW as if he has none. That's the problem with every single debate about this topic

We all know Fields shortcomings, but Caleb has his own. There is more to Fields than running but the CW bandwagon pretend there isn't

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Because he has made some solid choices and moves, and whether any fan trusts him or not won't affect anything...

Has anyone in the history of ccs every claimed otherwise?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Respectfully Hebs....

This cannot be serious.

Can play within structure better? No way. One of his biggest flaws is that he chooses to play out of structure too often when not needed.

The read defenses comment as well is nuts. Anyone who's actually watched, has seen him throw a ton of screens or do one read and run. Lincoln Riley's offense is trash from a progression standpoint as well. How anyone can say this is absurd.

Also take issue with the hero ball comment. Hero ball in college is much different than what it will be on Sundays. Justin actually had to play hero ball, and has to use every ounce of his life to rush for a 1000 yards.

You are entitled to your opinion. I’m certainly not the only one that feels this way and there are others out there, including those that have played in the NFL that would say the same things I said. We are in agreement that the Riley system is certainly trash and the route concepts don’t flow together well, but he rolls through his reads when he actually has time to. It can be hard to evaluate some of his play because half the time there is a free runner coming at him up the middle or from the side.

By no means is he a finished product… but the mold is definitely there.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Somewhat true. But you conveniently leave out any negatives about CW as if he has none. That's the problem with every single debate about this topic

We all know Fields shortcomings, but Caleb has his own. There is more to Fields than running but the CW bandwagon pretend there isn't
That’s fair. I’ll go back and list them in a more organized manner tomorrow.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
That’s fair. I’ll go back and list them in a more organized manner tomorrow.
Sounds good... 🍿

*SPOILER ALERT*

Fumbles and holding the ball are not the main concern with Caleb.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds good... 🍿

*SPOILER ALERT*

Fumbles and holding the ball are not the main concern with Caleb.

#1. Ball security - Caleb Williams had a fumbling issue in college. Will that follow him to the NFL? We don't know. What we do know, is that every single NFL defense that plays him will make that their #1 target. Slapping the ball and trying to make him drop it. Hopefully this can be coached out of him. Luckily, CW didn't have an INT problem in college. Fingers crossed this holds over into the NFL. Though we all know the windows will be much tighter and will close faster than in college.

#2. Big game hunter - USC's defense couldn't stop a nose bleed. This forced Caleb to put the team on his back almost every game and hunt for the deeper connections instead of dumping the ball off for shorter completions and moving on to the next play. This was compounded by the fact that the offensive line was a sieve and forced Caleb off his mark more often than not. Once out of structure, Caleb has a tendency to big game hunt instead of just taking the easy completion. I found myself watching numerous games and saying, "throw it, THROW IT!" when seeing a guy open in front of him 8 - 12 yards down the field, only for him to hold onto the ball for another second or two before delivering what usually ended up being a strike to a guy 18 - 25 yards down field, consistently. I don't know if he'll be able to bring that to the NFL... but we've all seen it work for a certain player on the Chiefs.

#3. Off field distractions - Honestly most of this stuff seems to be rumors and other trash drummed up before the draft (probably to try to get him to slide down the boards). I think most if not all of it will be a non-factor once he enters the NFL and if it does rear its head, it won't be until he is well established. To me it would be a relief to go from decades of fans complaining about the on field play of our QB to merely complaints about off the field crap.

#4. Hero Ball - I list this, but only because some see it as an issue, thinking it won't translate to the NFL. Many a casual fan only look at the highlights of a player and his Hero Ball makes up all of his highlights. (Nobody is going to cut up a highlight film of him working within structure making simple reads, hitting slants and crossers) I think he was forced into hero mode out of necessity over propensity. I for one am glad he has it in his wheel house and has extensive real-world experience with it. It will easily make up 5-10% of his game in the NFL which could be the difference between winning and losing. It could also lead to him making mistakes and turning the ball over. Only time will tell.

#5. Occasional uncontested off-target throws - Sometimes for whatever reason, he misses throws. Short, intermediate and deep with zero pressure in his face. To be honest, I've seen every quarterback do this and I'm not worried about it affecting his overall game.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have looked a lot deeper at this point. I don't like him as a QB. I'm a Bears fan not a players fan so I'll have to live with whatever they do. I expect a good team either way. There are just to many red flags for me.
You don't like him because he is black. Just say it out loud next time.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines

Nelly

Liked Posts:
#1. Ball security - Caleb Williams had a fumbling issue in college. Will that follow him to the NFL? We don't know. What we do know, is that every single NFL defense that plays him will make that their #1 target. Slapping the ball and trying to make him drop it. Hopefully this can be coached out of him. Luckily, CW didn't have an INT problem in college. Fingers crossed this holds over into the NFL. Though we all know the windows will be much tighter and will close faster than in college.

#2. Big game hunter - USC's defense couldn't stop a nose bleed. This forced Caleb to put the team on his back almost every game and hunt for the deeper connections instead of dumping the ball off for shorter completions and moving on to the next play. This was compounded by the fact that the offensive line was a sieve and forced Caleb off his mark more often than not. Once out of structure, Caleb has a tendency to big game hunt instead of just taking the easy completion. I found myself watching numerous games and saying, "throw it, THROW IT!" when seeing a guy open in front of him 8 - 12 yards down the field, only for him to hold onto the ball for another second or two before delivering what usually ended up being a strike to a guy 18 - 25 yards down field, consistently. I don't know if he'll be able to bring that to the NFL... but we've all seen it work for a certain player on the Chiefs.

#3. Off field distractions - Honestly most of this stuff seems to be rumors and other trash drummed up before the draft (probably to try to get him to slide down the boards). I think most if not all of it will be a non-factor once he enters the NFL and if it does rear its head, it won't be until he is well established. To me it would be a relief to go from decades of fans complaining about the on field play of our QB to merely complaints about off the field crap.

#4. Hero Ball - I list this, but only because some see it as an issue, thinking it won't translate to the NFL. Many a casual fan only look at the highlights of a player and his Hero Ball makes up all of his highlights. (Nobody is going to cut up a highlight film of him working within structure making simple reads, hitting slants and crossers) I think he was forced into hero mode out of necessity over propensity. I for one am glad he has it in his wheel house and has extensive real-world experience with it. It will easily make up 5-10% of his game in the NFL which could be the difference between winning and losing. It could also lead to him making mistakes and turning the ball over. Only time will tell.

#5. Occasional uncontested off-target throws - Sometimes for whatever reason, he misses throws. Short, intermediate and deep with zero pressure in his face. To be honest, I've seen every quarterback do this and I'm not worried about it affecting his overall game.
Caleb's got what you can't teach though: an incredible understanding of angles, a silly good pocket presence and a lightning quick release from all arm angles with accuracy. His ball security and off-target throws can be cleaned up with coaching, and perhaps more faith in his line?

The biggest concern is him being able to play in the timing and rhythm of an NFL offense. I think this might be why Poles went and got Keenan Allen. If there's anyone you can be sure will be where he's supposed to be when he supposed to be there, it's him.