Fields and the Bears offense - a non-emo, non-hormonal look after a loss to GB.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll keep this brief (for me).

Fields does need to work on getting rid of the ball quicker. But in watching Rodgers on the other side, I realized something as well:

This offense, be it called by Nagy or Lazor, does Fields NO favors and needs to go.

Here's what made me think this.

Several times, Rodgers was under siege by our defensive line, but was able to get the ball away quickly. However, the reason he was able to do so is because they had Lazard running very SHALLOW routes just behind the pressure to act as a safety valve in the event the play blows up, and Rodgers would see it, diagnose the play was a bust immediately, and then let it rip underneath. We aren't talking big shots down-field. We are talking about on 1st or 2nd down, route run in front of (not behind) the first down marker, meant to get some positive yards out of a potential busted play.

I started watching what the Bears run, and have been these past few games, and I've been wondering - where the FUCK are the routes for the Bears underneath? Seriously - they barely run them. Not all teams use a WR to run them - in fact, most NFL teams use a Tight end to chip at the line, release, and then run that "emergency" route. It's why they say a tight end is a quarterback's best friend.

The Bears offense apparently DOESN'T FUCKING HAVE THIS. Not the tight ends, not the wide receivers.

You have a rookie QB who needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker. Who the fuck is he supposed to get rid of it quicker to? THERE'S NO ONE THERE UNDERNEATH.

Seriously - that's hanging your QB out to dry. Fuck Nagy, and Fuck Lazor. Both can go. I thought this offense was just vanilla. But on further inspection - its totally broken, no matter who is calling it. And that's even taking into account the things Fields needs to work on. Can't work on quick throws underneath when there's no one underneath....

mbison

Liked Posts:
I'll keep this brief (for me).

Fields does need to work on getting rid of the ball quicker. But in watching Rodgers on the other side, I realized something as well:

This offense, be it called by Nagy or Lazor, does Fields NO favors and needs to go.

Here's what made me think this.

Several times, Rodgers was under siege by our defensive line, but was able to get the ball away quickly. However, the reason he was able to do so is because they had Lazard running very SHALLOW routes just behind the pressure to act as a safety valve in the event the play blows up, and Rodgers would see it, diagnose the play was a bust immediately, and then let it rip underneath. We aren't talking big shots down-field. We are talking about on 1st or 2nd down, route run in front of (not behind) the first down marker, meant to get some positive yards out of a potential busted play.

I started watching what the Bears run, and have been these past few games, and I've been wondering - where the FUCK are the routes for the Bears underneath? Seriously - they barely run them. Not all teams use a WR to run them - in fact, most NFL teams use a Tight end to chip at the line, release, and then run that "emergency" route. It's why they say a tight end is a quarterback's best friend.

The Bears offense apparently DOESN'T FUCKING HAVE THIS. Not the tight ends, not the wide receivers.

You have a rookie QB who needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker. Who the fuck is he supposed to get rid of it quicker to? THERE'S NO ONE THERE UNDERNEATH.

Seriously - that's hanging your QB out to dry. Fuck Nagy, and Fuck Lazor. Both can go. I thought this offense was just vanilla. But on further inspection - its totally broken, no matter who is calling it. And that's even taking into account the things Fields needs to work on. Can work on quick throws underneath when there's no one underneath....
Fields is a rookie. Let him take his bumps and bruises now. We all know he needs to learn on the job and would have a lot of growing pains

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fields is a rookie. Let him take his bumps and bruises now. We all know he needs to learn on the job and would have a lot of growing pains

Oh agreed. There were times where he took sacks and held onto the ball too long. There also was twice down the stretch the offensive line failed him. This was a total team loss. But if you are going to bring along a rookie QB, you GOT TO have a safety valve that he can reliably go to underneath.

Nagy's YOLO style of offense is wasting a year of this kid's development.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
I actually think Fields needs to commit to running earlier, rather than just throwing it quicker, because as we've seen, there often isn't anything developed yet downfield.

At this point in his career, defenses are too fast to be indecisive once he gets out of the pocket. That last sack from Clark was a great example of getting out of the pocket but then not committing to actually taking off at full speed allowing Clark to catch up.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Rodgers has been in the league 17 seasons.
Fields has played in 6 games.

Rodgers is cut from a vastly different cloth from the college game and in an entire different era of the NFL. it's like comparing a Ferrari to a Volvo. the situation with the Bears now does in fact eat copious amounts of cock and will probably never change, but I can't think of a better apples and oranges comparison between quarterbacks or the expectations of Fields vs. what the Packers are doing with Rodgers.

I've decided that Fields is capable of doing shit. he's made some pretty elegant throws, but on the season he probably hasn't even passed for 500 yards. the Bears wouldn't have any chance whatsoever if they didn't have so much strength with running. which you can't do forever.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
"We design and call plays like we have a good oline."

Exactly. Even with good OL there is need for shallow routes to help the QB.
Yes. Even the best OL breaks down from time to time. The defense is paid too. You can’t expect ANY QB, let alone a rookie QB, to continually make all the right reads, pre and post snap, every play. You have to call plays to help him out…

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olsen hit on this with the 3rd down sack. No route was short of like 20 yards and nobody was near open on the play.
They weren't even out of their breaks. This offense and scheme is complete shit. It's been raked over by guys who have played the position, and not most but all of them shit all over Nagy's chest. He sucks.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Fields brain is moving slow right now. His legs look slow. His arm looks average. This is all rookie expectations. This year is about experience. That’s it!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Fields brain is moving slow right now. His legs look slow. His arm looks average. This is all rookie expectations. This year is about experience. That’s it!
I just hope 11 more games of this doesn’t damage him…

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I actually think Fields needs to commit to running earlier, rather than just throwing it quicker, because as we've seen, there often isn't anything developed yet downfield.

At this point in his career, defenses are too fast to be indecisive once he gets out of the pocket. That last sack from Clark was a great example of getting out of the pocket but then not committing to actually taking off at full speed allowing Clark to catch up.

What you said is true. It would also help if Ifedi did not get spun out of his shoes by such a basic move by Clark.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The offense is ancient as has been pointed out forever. Fields needs to let loose, on the drive that got us 14 points he threw the ball quickies more times than not

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The offense is ancient as has been pointed out forever. Fields needs to let loose, on the drive that got us 14 points he threw the ball quickies more times than not
Scripted plays then ron turner. OP is an emo bitch either way