Fields and the Bears offense - a non-emo, non-hormonal look after a loss to GB.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hate how much I agree with this. He isn't nearly as athletic or as physically gifted as I expected him to be coming out. He's not as nimble with his legs and his ball velocity is mediocre-at-best. It also doesn't help that he has a slow release and takes way too long to make decisions. Those things are going to get you killed at this level. He has got to fix it.

Then take comfort with this - the things Justin has to work on are the things most rookies have to work on and are the things that are the most easily correctable season to season.

The things you can't teach Justin already has in spades.

Get fields in a different offense with a better head coach next year and watch him take off.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Then take comfort with this - the things Justin has to work on are the things most rookies have to work on and are the things that are the most easily correctable season to season.

The things you can't teach Justin already has in spades.

Get fields in a different offense with a better head coach next year and watch him take off.
That’s a great idea, but, who’s picking the new coach? I’m not optimistic….

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True. You aren't wrong.

But the implication is that Nagy is so handcuffed that he can do nothing and other coaches do not likewise suffer limitations by talent gaps and scheme fits among their personnel.

That no OC out there could do much better here.

I am not saying you are claiming that, but it is why your observations are kinda meeting some resistance. Again not because you are wrong but more so, a competent offensive guru can overcome it consistently enough to not only and SOLELY be able to do it vs. bottom tier defenses and even then - only 3 to 4 times a season.
Stating a fact, not an opinion nor implying anything else. Playcalling is still lacking with Lazor. Just better than with Nagy.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Stating a fact, not an opinion nor implying anything else. Playcalling is still lacking with Lazor. Just better than with Nagy.

Truth, and its what I have seen too many Bears fans struggle with, frankly. They make the mistake of thinking that because Lazor is better than Nagy, that must mean Lazor is good. It doesn't seem to catch on with some idiots that both of them suck, but Lazor just sucks less...

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
"Seriously - that's hanging your QB out to dry."

Agree 100%. Both, Nagy and Lazor wouldn't make pimple on Matt LaFleur ass. Pathetic.
One thing I hate about Matt LaFleur is that he thinks he’s the shit. Everyone knows is because of Rodgers that he looks that way. Once he’s gone, he’ll be a John Fox.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. Even the best OL breaks down from time to time. The defense is paid too. You can’t expect ANY QB, let alone a rookie QB, to continually make all the right reads, pre and post snap, every play. You have to call plays to help him out…
Fields was never going to live up to some of the expectations of some on this board, as they were borderline insane to begin with

mur34

Liked Posts:
This is what Foles was telling the reporter last year there is no time to get these plays off. You can insert any QB you want in this offense and it still won't work.

Reactions: Myk

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I love how the emo nagy conspiracy theorists forget that nagy gave up play-calling to lazor
The unfortunate part, is that he didn't give up being a trash bag of a coach.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
One thing I hate about Matt LaFleur is that he thinks he’s the shit. Everyone knows is because of Rodgers that he looks that way. Once he’s gone, he’ll be a John Fox.

Lafleur was the shit with every QB he ever had save for one season with injured Mariota/Gabbert.

John Fox got to a SB with Jake Delhomme.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
I'll keep this brief (for me).

Fields does need to work on getting rid of the ball quicker. But in watching Rodgers on the other side, I realized something as well:

This offense, be it called by Nagy or Lazor, does Fields NO favors and needs to go.

Here's what made me think this.

Several times, Rodgers was under siege by our defensive line, but was able to get the ball away quickly. However, the reason he was able to do so is because they had Lazard running very SHALLOW routes just behind the pressure to act as a safety valve in the event the play blows up, and Rodgers would see it, diagnose the play was a bust immediately, and then let it rip underneath. We aren't talking big shots down-field. We are talking about on 1st or 2nd down, route run in front of (not behind) the first down marker, meant to get some positive yards out of a potential busted play.

I started watching what the Bears run, and have been these past few games, and I've been wondering - where the FUCK are the routes for the Bears underneath? Seriously - they barely run them. Not all teams use a WR to run them - in fact, most NFL teams use a Tight end to chip at the line, release, and then run that "emergency" route. It's why they say a tight end is a quarterback's best friend.

The Bears offense apparently DOESN'T FUCKING HAVE THIS. Not the tight ends, not the wide receivers.

You have a rookie QB who needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker. Who the fuck is he supposed to get rid of it quicker to? THERE'S NO ONE THERE UNDERNEATH.

Seriously - that's hanging your QB out to dry. Fuck Nagy, and Fuck Lazor. Both can go. I thought this offense was just vanilla. But on further inspection - its totally broken, no matter who is calling it. And that's even taking into account the things Fields needs to work on. Can't work on quick throws underneath when there's no one underneath....
^ this

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So who do yall think the Bears should hire next year as HC? Daboll? Moore? Roman? hell, Desai?

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
A friend (packer fan but not a meatball) texted after the game with, "The 1980s called, they want their offensive coordinator back". Pretty much where the Bears are as an offense. The head coach / offensive coaching staff have to go. Offense ranks dead last and it's not close. 117 yds per game passing. He should have said the 1930s called.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the post post game show on the score, Olin Kreutz hit on exactly that saying he doesn't know the last time the Bears hit a slant route. In fact they were going back to 2018 the last time they hit one.
Slants are for pussies!

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
At the moment I’m not too worried about Fields, and to your point, it’s mostly the direction (or lack of) by the coaching staff that’s a major concern.

Anytime he’s on the sideline he’s alone, why is there no coach in his ear? No guidance?

I think if Nagy is here next year, he does permanent damage to this QB.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Fields arm looks good. His sophomore year could be a big leap if they're able to get a good coach for him and WR's that want to help. AR's effort too often looks like Eddie Jackson's tackling.

yah that first lofted pass in the end zone when the pack d lineman jumped offside <non call>. Fields thought he had a free play. Arob quit on that ball, would have been one on one with amos, arbo wins the jump ball easy.

Did a reporter ask nagy hard questions like that? lol

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nagy is just bad at designing plays. I think I saw videos with O'Sullivan pointing out the exact same issue, where are the safety nets?
If it's a short play everyone goes short. If it's a long play everyone goes long. Nagy's idea of a safety net when there is one is a "screen" with few or zero blockers.

And it's been noted for years, where are the scramble drills? QB is in trouble, do you try to give him a target? No, the WRs just quit.
I see plenty of talent in Fields. Most of the problems are the HC/play designer and somewhat the oline and WRs.
Yeah I agree I just wonder how much of the problems we have with the oline and wide receivers are also Problems stemming from the play designer

Reactions: Myk