Fields and the Bears offense - a non-emo, non-hormonal look after a loss to GB.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hard to have safety valves when you're keeping those extra blockers in.
No, it isn't. THAT is the point.

Most teams would have a tight end in there taking the initial block, and then release to where the defender just vacated. If the QB doesn't have the better option, they check down to that blocker who released, knowing its their safety valve. And to keep from being too predictable, you can also make that call using your running back or even a WR, or else have a WR run 3-5 yards deep and then cross over the middle.

Different offenses do it different ways, but almost all of them have that safety valve built into the offense. The Bears DON'T.

Its a failure schematically. And a QB killer.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Fields is a rookie. Let him take his bumps and bruises now. We all know he needs to learn on the job and would have a lot of growing pains

Thank you.

This entire season is basically developing fields. If we make the playoffs, great, but this team won't do shit in the playoffs.

We lack the talent for it on the offensive line. That's a 1-2 year rebuild there. If Fields becomes the answer at the end of the season it helps life.

Brownie

Liked Posts:

Most teams would have a tight end in there taking the initial block, and then release to where the defender just vacated. If the QB doesn't have the better option, they check down to that blocker who released, knowing its their safety valve. And to keep from being too predictable, you can also make that call using your running back or even a WR, or else have a WR run 3-5 yards deep and then cross over the middle.

Different offenses do it different ways, but almost all of them have that safety valve built into the offense. The Bears DON'T.

Its not that hard to understand that the system and the guy signing off on the gameplan are THE issue. Whoever doesn't get that by now deserves any mental anguish that comes with it all.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If he can...

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thank you.

This entire season is basically developing fields. If we make the playoffs, great, but this team won't do shit in the playoffs.

We lack the talent for it on the offensive line. That's a 1-2 year rebuild there. If Fields becomes the answer at the end of the season it helps life.
Hence your bet that he would throw over 250 yards today? You are a clown

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Nagy is just bad at designing plays. I think I saw videos with O'Sullivan pointing out the exact same issue, where are the safety nets?
If it's a short play everyone goes short. If it's a long play everyone goes long. Nagy's idea of a safety net when there is one is a "screen" with few or zero blockers.

And it's been noted for years, where are the scramble drills? QB is in trouble, do you try to give him a target? No, the WRs just quit.
I see plenty of talent in Fields. Most of the problems are the HC/play designer and somewhat the oline and WRs.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
If he can...

True. You aren't wrong.

But the implication is that Nagy is so handcuffed that he can do nothing and other coaches do not likewise suffer limitations by talent gaps and scheme fits among their personnel.

That no OC out there could do much better here.

I am not saying you are claiming that, but it is why your observations are kinda meeting some resistance. Again not because you are wrong but more so, a competent offensive guru can overcome it consistently enough to not only and SOLELY be able to do it vs. bottom tier defenses and even then - only 3 to 4 times a season.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
True. You aren't wrong.

But the implication is that Nagy is so handcuffed that he can do nothing and other coaches do not likewise suffer limitations by talent gaps and scheme fits among their personnel.

That no OC out there could do much better here.

I am not saying you are claiming that, but it is why your observations are kinda meeting some resistance. Again not because you are wrong but more so, a competent offensive guru can overcome it consistently enough to not only and SOLELY be able to do it vs. bottom tier defenses

The only handcuffs on Matt are the ones he puts on himself.

What I'm implying is he's too stupid to adjust or even come up with a good scheme and needs to go at the end of the season.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

What I'm implying is he's too stupid to adjust or even come up with a good scheme and needs to go at the end of the season.

Hello, preacher; choir here. Nice to meet you.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Fields brain is moving slow right now. His legs look slow. His arm looks average. This is all rookie expectations. This year is about experience. That’s it!
Agreed even the TD pass to Mooney he was pretty late in recognizing it.

Could have been his last read, but still. It was a blown coverage from GB. Not the first today

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Why wait until the end of the season!

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I love how the emo nagy conspiracy theorists forget that nagy gave up play-calling to lazor

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I love how the emo nagy conspiracy theorists forget that nagy gave up play-calling to lazor
"Everything runs thru me" - Matt Nagy

....he helps put together and signs off on this whole thing. Whether he's calling the plays on a particular down or not.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Fields brain is moving slow right now. His legs look slow. His arm looks average. This is all rookie expectations. This year is about experience. That’s it!
I hate how much I agree with this. He isn't nearly as athletic or as physically gifted as I expected him to be coming out. He's not as nimble with his legs and his ball velocity is mediocre-at-best. It also doesn't help that he has a slow release and takes way too long to make decisions. Those things are going to get you killed at this level. He has got to fix it.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
The route trees on some of the plays take forever to develop. By the time a guy gets a little open, the QB is scrambling for his life. Fields will get better at getting the ball out quicker but this offense does no favors to the quarterback. It's either everyone runs a route shorter than 10 yards or it's everyone running deep. It's bizarre.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Rodgers takes 2 steps back and throws a slant that goes for 15 yards.

Bears have plays that take forever to develop
On the post post game show on the score, Olin Kreutz hit on exactly that saying he doesn't know the last time the Bears hit a slant route. In fact they were going back to 2018 the last time they hit one.