Fields numbers needed to

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I'd imagine you'd have to see two seasons right? I mean, the Eagles had the same questions with Hurts at this time last year, he had a great season and he was paid, but I'd worry about a one off season.

Like our current Lions fan celebrating Goff's big year, it could be a one off knowing Goff.

You always gotta worry about those one year wonders.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'd imagine you'd have to see two seasons right? I mean, the Eagles had the same questions with Hurts at this time last year, he had a great season and he was paid, but I'd worry about a one off season.

Like our current Lions fan celebrating Goff's big year, it could be a one off knowing Goff.

You always gotta worry about those one year wonders.

Except fields not being a good passer is a deviation from the norm.

Fields has been an elite passer since Senior year of HS, and was one of the top passers in college as well. I think if you see him get back to the decision making and consistency of college then they will throw the bag at him. The accuracy isnt a concern unlike other bears qb's.

Also, the Eagles did not have the luxury of a fifth year option with Hurts, he was a second rounder. Had to pay him or risk a holdout.

Goff was never good thus far. The last 1/2 of the year is the only time he's flashed and been consistent. He could turn it around, but that was a diff situation. He was ass in a great scheme w/ talent around him.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Except fields not being a good passer is a deviation from the norm.

Fields has been an elite passer since Senior year of HS, and was one of the top passers in college as well. I think if you see him get back to the decision making and consistency of college then they will throw the bag at him. The accuracy isnt a concern unlike other bears qb's.

Also, the Eagles did not have the luxury of a fifth year option with Hurts, he was a second rounder. Had to pay him or risk a holdout.

Goff was never good thus far. The last 1/2 of the year is the only time he's flashed and been consistent. He could turn it around, but that was a diff situation. He was ass in a great scheme w/ talent around him.
That's right. I totally forgot about that.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Early sure, but what kind of season must Fields have to sign him long term over starting over with rookie, cheaper, younger. Poles gets to pick himself. What kind of season makes all these questions go away. I'm a Fields fan and believer but this question will come up all season and then after to draft day. Will be the talk of Bears football around the league. OK? What keeps him here longterm???

My guess is that with more talent around him and a second year with the same coaching staff, Fields will be just fine this year. Ther QB position is one I'm not going to worry about this year, and I haven't felt that way in a long, long time.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not sure if we can put a number or numbers on a decisions. Foremost, I think we’ll know it when we see it. If he “puts the team on his back” and wins some games, if some games they win because of him, you probably work with him. You can’t expect him to games by himself but he can’t lose them and he has to make a difference. Wins and loses are relevant but also dependent on a lot of variables . I’d like to think he’s going to work out. He is no longer inexperienced.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Staying healthy and making smart decisions that show growth and maturity at the position.
Agree, feel like it's less of a numbers thing. Seems the magic number people like to throw around is 4,000 passing yards. Like Fields can still have a really good season and not throw for 4,000. We saw the growth and maturity last year. Early on, he looked uncomfortable in the pocket and unable to hit short throws. He worked thru that during the season.

This year, need to seem him grow as a passer. Be smart with the ball, take deep shots when it makes sense and hit the underneath routes when it makes sense. His 2nd year in the system and having some chemistry with these guys now should see him start anticipating guys being open and getting the ball out early before WRs enter their break. Better pocket presence, limit turnovers. If he does those things the numbers will take care of themselves.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agree, feel like it's less of a numbers thing. Seems the magic number people like to throw around is 4,000 passing yards. Like Fields can still have a really good season and not throw for 4,000. We saw the growth and maturity last year. Early on, he looked uncomfortable in the pocket and unable to hit short throws. He worked thru that during the season.

This year, need to seem him grow as a passer. Be smart with the ball, take deep shots when it makes sense and hit the underneath routes when it makes sense. His 2nd year in the system and having some chemistry with these guys now should see him start anticipating guys being open and getting the ball out early before WRs enter their break. Better pocket presence, limit turnovers. If he does those things the numbers will take care of themselves.
Yeah like i cant see this regime saying "he's not having enough 300 yard passing games. We better move on". Its more nuanced than breaking historically inept franchise records.

I also think it depends on where they end up draft position wise. If you're not entirely happy with Fields performance but you're out of the Williams and Maye sweepstakes, you might just roll with him for another year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
My guess is that with more talent around him and a second year with the same coaching staff, Fields will be just fine this year. Ther QB position is one I'm not going to worry about this year, and I haven't felt that way in a long, long time.

He wasn't the main reason we were losing games, which is something bears fans haven't been able to say about the QB position in nearly 40 years.

At worst he's an average QB, which I'd take over the fucking shit we've had to sit through.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah like i cant see this regime saying "he's not having enough 300 yard passing games. We better move on". Its more nuanced than breaking historically inept franchise records.

I also think it depends on where they end up draft position wise. If you're not entirely happy with Fields performance but you're out of the Williams and Maye sweepstakes, you might just roll with him for another year.

At that point I think they'd use draft capital to move up for one of those two.

Its either fields or one of them, but I'm pretty sure its fields. No reason to doubt him.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We don’t even know if the line is fixed yet. Darnell Wright tackle hasn’t even gone through rookie minicamp. Could be a bustl especially if Chris Morgan BS’d the “rigner “ story so he and a Wright could enjoy some great Tennessee home-style cooking.
Nate Davis can’t pass block. And it’s Fields first season with DJ Moore. I’d say you have to give him a little time to adjust. That’s even if the WRs are healthy. Flus‘ camp banged up a lot of starters before the season.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
At that point I think they'd use draft capital to move up for one of those two.

Its either fields or one of them, but I'm pretty sure its fields. No reason to doubt him.
But if there are teams at 1 and 2 that need QBs then they dont have a shot. No one is trading. Its looking very likely that the Cardinals will have one of those picks.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Early sure, but what kind of season must Fields have to sign him long term over starting over with rookie, cheaper, younger. Poles gets to pick himself. What kind of season makes all these questions go away. I'm a Fields fan and believer but this question will come up all season and then after to draft day. Will be the talk of Bears football around the league. OK? What keeps him here longterm???
His numbers needed to what?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If we throw out the first four games of last year where he was learning the playbook and looked horrible, he actually had a statistically average year as a passer, and elite as a runner.

To get extended he just needs to show incremental improvement throughout the year.

Numbers wise I'd like 3k passing yards, 500 rush yards and 30 total tds.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Winning record, several clutch moments and a 2.5:1 TD to TURNOVER ratio. I have been in QB1's corner since the jump, but year three...IT'S TIME.

Putting passing yardage or running yardage is tough considering the type of QB he is. For me, it just boils down to winnable moments and leading the team to victory. And to do that, one must not turn over the ball.

He has my full faith and backing going into year three. It's our time.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well Poles has indicated he's all in on JF.
well of course, the fact he didnt draft a QB kind of points that out for now.. key point is for now.
Poles has spent a lot of recourses to help him out, so now its up toe JF to prove he is the guy. This is a make or break year for him

I don't get this "make or break year" narrative. JF just finished his first full year in another new offense under a rookie
OC. Now in 2023, it's gonna be a "make or break year" for JF. This team is still in a rebuild......but it's all on JF.
While coaches and others get a pass. C'mon.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get this "make or break year" narrative. JF just finished his first full year in another new offense under a rookie
OC. Now in 2023, it's gonna be a "make or break year" for JF. This team is still in a rebuild......but it's all on JF.
If the Bears don't see major signs of improvement, then should move on after year three. Trotting Mitch Trubisky out there in year four was a waste of time. With two first round draft picks next year and a good QB class, it would be criminal to ignore the QB position IF QB1 flops. This...is coming from a guy who has 12 JF rookie cards, all graded. LOL. I'm rooting for massive improvement and believe he'll get there!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If the Bears don't see major signs of improvement, then should move on after year three. Trotting Mitch Trubisky out there in year four was a waste of time. With two first round draft picks next year and a good QB class, it would be criminal to ignore the QB position IF QB1 flops. This...is coming from a guy who has 12 JF rookie cards, all graded. LOL. I'm rooting for massive improvement and believe he'll get there!

(y)
I like to see the whole team step it up. What are your thoughts on the coaches, in particular Getsy..... what are u expecting from him in his 2nd yr as OC???