Fields starts when he’s ready - WE GET IT

Collins77

Liked Posts:
So I believe its something like this. Dalton is a average QB but an excellent leader in the locker room and in the QB room. His preparation and football IQ is why he has been successful with marginal talent. We believe that by sitting behind Dalton, Justin will pick up the nuances that will elevate his already superior (but inexperienced) talent. We also belive that during this bridge Andy will provide enough production to keep the team in a position to get into the playoffs. When its clear that Justin can solidly grasp the offense and we feel confident he can run it as effectively we will then start him. Until then, fuck off and please come up with something thats not low hanging.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
If Dalton starts he is going to get benched half way through game 1.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is anyone else tired of hearing the same questions (asked in slightly different ways) to Matt Nagy about when Justin Fields will be the starting QB? Fields will start when he’s ready – We get that.

The Media needs to start acting as if the “Justin Fields Development Plan” WILL be implemented instead of injecting their own opinions/takes/hypotheticals. They should start asking real questions about what that plan consists of. Give us a detailed analysis into the developmental approach and give us some real information about how and why this approach will succeed. What does the historical data say when this approach is used? Why is this approach best for Justin Fields? What specific skills can be developed without playing in games and watching a veteran? Interview former QBs that can explain the benefits of this approach without injecting their personal opinion on the Bear’s situation. We’ve gotten some small pieces of information like the difference between calling plays in a huddle and looking at cards on the sideline, but let’s keep digging for more details!

Is it too soon to have the discussion of what they plan on doing differently with Justin Fields than Mitch Trubisky? What did they learn from that experience that can be used today? Let’s have an honest comparison that’s professional.

Everyone is in such a hurry to get Justin Fields on the field ASAP. Why is it so hard for the Media to at least spend SOME time exploring the benefits of a developmental approach instead of writing it off? I mean Matt Nagy clearly was involved with the ascension of Patrick Mahomes. I’m sick and tired of hearing about why Justin Fields situation is different. I want to hear more about why it worked so well with Mahomes. IMO, that’s the more fascinating story. We have the head coach that was involved in developing one of the best freaking QBs in the league. THAT’S THE REAL STORY HERE PEOPLE. HOW DID HE DO IT?!?

*End rant*

Nagy should put a "QB1 Swear Jar" at the podium for him and all staff/players to demand a media blowhard put $$ into for charity every time they ask this same dumbass question until otherwise told by Nagy. Could be a fun way to call them out with some humor and raise some money for the needy.
?‍♂️

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I believe its something like this. Dalton is a average QB but an excellent leader in the locker room and in the QB room. His preparation and football IQ is why he has been successful with marginal talent. We believe that by sitting behind Dalton, Justin will pick up the nuances that will elevate his already superior (but inexperienced) talent. We also belive that during this bridge Andy will provide enough production to keep the team in a position to get into the playoffs. When its clear that Justin can solidly grasp the offense and we feel confident he can run it as effectively we will then start him. Until then, fuck off and please come up with something thats not low hanging.

When has Dalton been successful with marginal talent? Those Bengals squads he was on were powerhouses on both sides of the field.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
TBF to Pace/Nagy (mainly Nagy), won't really know until they start practicing and can work with both Dalton/Fields to see where they are at and how they process the offense. As of right now, they are taking the conservative approach and doubling down on the Vet, but that can change quickly.

I would imagine that Pace/Nagy are in agreement on Fields sitting to start the season and hopefully take a Mahomes level approach, but they also need results this season. If Dalton is failing the offense, in Fields goes.
Smith had numerous good seasons under his belt as the QB there so he was harder to supplant. Dalton has never been as good as Smith was those years and doesn't know the offense either. If Fields looks the part then it's going to be awfully hard to keep him off the field for long.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
When has Dalton been successful with marginal talent? Those Bengals squads he was on were powerhouses on both sides of the field.
I believe he was referring to Dalton's level of talent being marginal.

At least he should have been.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's hilarious people are already getting pissed off and camp hasn't even started

we still got vet OTAs, training camp, and preseason. lots of reps, lots of time.

but there's ppl mad Fields wasn't named starter after rookie OTAs. lmfao

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
it's hilarious people are already getting pissed off and camp hasn't even started

we still got vet OTAs, training camp, and preseason. lots of reps, lots of time.

but there's ppl mad Fields wasn't named starter after rookie OTAs. lmfao
This. As a HC , I despise Nagy and think he has been trash, but handling the JF situation other than how he has would be foolish.

1) What matters is action and there has been zero to this point. Once all QB's are on the field, the order will shake out.

2) As much as I think the vet players on the team are hoping JF will start sooner rather than later, naming him the starter before on practice would not sit well in the locker room.

3) If I am JF, I absolutely do not want to be named starter or QB1 or whatever, at this point. I want to earn it in front of the entire team, over the months of OTA's and camps.

4) Even Nagy saying it is an open competition does Fields no favors, then if he doesn't start he is the guy that lost a QB competition to Andy Dalton and Nick Foles. If the narrative is we want him to sit and he pulls a Russell Wilson, then he is the guy that was just too good to sit, if he needs some time, then that will have always been the plan.

Last edited:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the narrative is we want him to sit and he pulls a Russell Wilson, then he is the guy that was just to good to sit, if he needs some time, then that will have always been the plan.
It's literally what Nagy has been saying the entire time. Fields will make it known when it's his time.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
“The mental part of getting in and out of the huddle and having that,” Nagy said. “I know you guys heard Flip say the ‘first wide vision,’ so when the play is coming into the headset and then you call the play and you break the huddle, when you walk up to the line of scrimmage, when you're in the quarterback position it can feel like you don't see anything. You're trying to think of what you saw on the installs and you're trying to figure out what's going on, but you really need to be looking to your first wide vision to the right to see if your Z receiver is off the ball and your Y receiver is on the ball. Is your X on the ball? Where's your running back? Ok, where's the Mike at? Now, Ok, I've got to call before the play clock runs out. And then post-snap there's a disguise in the read with the progression of the defense, rotation. So, I want to see that speed up.

“I think he's done a really good job so far in what the little bit that we've seen in this rookie minicamp of doing a good job of post-snap vision, which was a strength of his in college. So that's just got to continue to speed up and you know he's going to get a great opportunity to do that against our defense and I think that's where we're going to have to see, OK are there a lot of mistakes being made or are there a lot of plays being made and is it natural and is it easy for him. And that's what we'll evaluate and see. And again you'll know when you watch it and we'll all feel it as coaches.”

But things will be a little tougher for Fields moving forward. He’s going to have to do more with fewer reps next week, as Dalton will work with the first team when veterans begin reporting to OTAs.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Fields doesn't win the QB competition over Andy Dalton and Nick Foles then I think he is a disappointment. Fields is a true talent not like a project QB with high upside that Trubisky, Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson were. Fields has been one of the most groomed and proven QBs that came out in the of the draft since Luck.

Andy Dalton has been a mediocre QB surrounded by great talent though most of his career and has a career 87.5 QBR he is actually a downgrade from Mitch.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If Fields doesn't win the QB competition over Andy Dalton and Nick Foles then I think he is a disappointment. Fields is a true talent not like a project QB with high upside that Trubisky, Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson were. Fields has been one of the most groomed and proven QBs that came out in the of the draft since Luck.

Andy Dalton has been a mediocre QB surrounded by great talent though most of his career and has a career 87.5 QBR he is actually a downgrade from Mitch.
It’s not about winning or losing a competition. Fields is the QB. The only question is when wil he be FULLY ready to take the reins...

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Last 3 years: Pace should be fired for just handing the job over to Mitch Trubisky without any competition to push him along.

Now: Why isn't Justin Fields the starter yet?

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What happens if Dalton goes in and lights it up - he's actually a pretty decent starting QB and I think he'll be challenged and motivated by having Fields there.

I'm not for a second suggesting that Fields isn't destined to be the starter and long term franchise QB, but will be interesting to see how the fan base and media react if Dalton actually looks like a legit starter.

It's easy to guess when Fields comes in if Dalton sucks, in either pre season or in the early games, the far more interesting question is when does Fields come in if Dalton is actually pretty good??