Fields starts when he’s ready - WE GET IT

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
What happens if Dalton goes in and lights it up - he's actually a pretty decent starting QB and I think he'll be challenged and motivated by having Fields there.

I'm not for a second suggesting that Fields isn't destined to be the starter and long term franchise QB, but will be interesting to see how the fan base and media react if Dalton actually looks like a legit starter.

It's easy to guess when Fields comes in if Dalton sucks, in either pre season or in the early games, the far more interesting question is when does Fields come in if Dalton is actually pretty good??
If Dalton starts and lights it up with the SOS we have this year, you let him continue to play as long as the Bears are winning. Maybe use him as trade bait if a teams starting QB goes down. But we all know Dalton is not going to light it up. That’s not the type of QB he is

Liked Posts:
Last 3 years: Pace should be fired for just handing the job over to Mitch Trubisky without any competition to push him along.

Now: Why isn't Justin Fields the starter yet?
Well that's not really what happened is it? Mike Glennon was signed to a monstrous 1 yr contract to be the guy & started the first 4 games of Mitch's rookie season. He then proceeded to suck donkey balls and Mitch, who wasn't much better but at least had mobility and more upside then started.

So I wouldn't put it as Mitch being handed anything. It's more, the bears planned to have him sit (which they did at first) and the plan fell apart quickly once they realized their overpaid starter was so terrible they had not choice but to bench him.

So here we are again. Dalton instead of Glennon. Why not skip the part where he starts the first 4 games of the season and get right to the part where the best QB starts instead.

Liked Posts:
What happens if Dalton goes in and lights it up - he's actually a pretty decent starting QB and I think he'll be challenged and motivated by having Fields there.

I'm not for a second suggesting that Fields isn't destined to be the starter and long term franchise QB, but will be interesting to see how the fan base and media react if Dalton actually looks like a legit starter.

It's easy to guess when Fields comes in if Dalton sucks, in either pre season or in the early games, the far more interesting question is when does Fields come in if Dalton is actually pretty good??

Dalton isn't lighting anything up dude. He didn't on a much better offense in talent, what makes you think he'd do it on the bears?

But if in this hypothetical scenario, he does light it up, then it's a big time win for the bears since they'd be winning and letting Fields learn. Nobody is going to complain about having a bears QB light it up.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Dalton aint played well in 5 years . Why does every time the Bears sign some washed up has been there is always some contingent who expects them to find their glory years of average play from nearly a decade earlier ?

Its not a matter of Nagy declaring Fields the starter its the ridiculous notion they he keeps trying to sell that Dalton was EVER A VIABLE OPTION in the first place.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
seems like you are trying to say Fields and Dalton are at the same point in their development and pro career. which is weird.
No. I’m saying neither have taken a snap for the Chicago Bears yet.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
ok, but what does that mean to you
There is literally no reason Fields should not start. Can you name any time when a quarterbacks development was slowed down by starting in the last 10
years?

There’s a four year window where he’s under a rookie contract that benefits the organization and you wanna give up one of those years so you can watch a mediocre quarterback?

No one knows for sure it feels is going to be elite or not, but the sooner you find out the better. He’s played enough in college in big games, that was one of his strengths coming out of college is he is ready for the big stage, unlike Lance or Wilson.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
There is literally no reason Fields should not start. Can you name any time when a quarterbacks development was slowed down by starting in the last 10
years?

There’s a four year window where he’s under a rookie contract that benefits the organization and you wanna give up one of those years so you can watch a mediocre quarterback?

No one knows for sure it feels is going to be elite or not, but the sooner you find out the better. He’s played enough in college in big games, that was one of his strengths coming out of college is he is ready for the big stage, unlike Lance or Wilson.
Most highly drafted QBs bust when they are put in early. Is that the reason? I don’t know, but I also would prefer not to find out using Fields...

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most highly drafted QBs bust when they are put in early. Is that the reason? I don’t know, but I also would prefer not to find out using Fields...
Most?? Like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, and Big Ben all started in 2004? Or, lets just focus on the recent classes since the QB in the last 5 years are more pro ready then ever before. What one of the following highly drafted QBs in the last 5 years busted because they started early? You said "most" I only see 3 bust and none of them was because they were force to play early. They were bust because they lacked talent or consistency. Are you trying to say Mitch was a bust because when Nagy got him he was damaged goods?

Wentz - started week 1 and looked good season 2 was a pro bowler
Goff -started week 9 looked bad season 2 was a pro bowler
Lynch - sat to develop played only when starter got injured started a total of 4 NFL games

Trubisky started week 4
Watson started week 2
Mahomes sat behind a pro bowl QB who had 27TD to 5INT that season

Mayfield started week 4
Darnold started week 1
Allen started week 2

Murray started week 1
Jones started week 3
Haskins started week 9

Joe Burrow Started week 1
Tua Tagovailoa started week 7
Justin Herbert started week 1

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
years?

jesus fuckin christ

he hasn't had a single practice rep in the nfl. how about that for a reason?

ffs, if he is that good, he will earn it in camp and the preseason. but he has to actually do it first

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Most?? Like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, and Big Ben all started in 2004? Or, lets just focus on the recent classes since the QB in the last 5 years are more pro ready then ever before. What one of the following highly drafted QBs in the last 5 years busted because they started early? You said "most" I only see 3 bust and none of them was because they were force to play early. They were bust because they lacked talent or consistency. Are you trying to say Mitch was a bust because when Nagy got him he was damaged goods?

Wentz - started week 1 and looked good season 2 was a pro bowler
Goff -started week 9 looked bad season 2 was a pro bowler
Lynch - sat to develop played only when starter got injured started a total of 4 NFL games

Trubisky started week 4
Watson started week 2
Mahomes sat behind a pro bowl QB who had 27TD to 5INT that season

Mayfield started week 4
Darnold started week 1
Allen started week 2

Murray started week 1
Jones started week 3
Haskins started week 9

Joe Burrow Started week 1
Tua Tagovailoa started week 7
Justin Herbert started week 1

they had talent. That’s why they were drafted early. But did they bust because they were played too early and that consistency and growth was stunted because of it? I don’t know. Neither do you. But I prefer not to find out.

And yes, MOST highly drafted QBs fail to live up to their draft position/talent.

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
Once Dalton hits his ceiling and start costing them games they’ll yank him and in goes Fields.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I realize a lot of this is driven by excitement in a qb starved organization paired with a slow NFL news cycle now that the draft is over. But man, people need to get a grip. Let the process play out and get to training camp before everyone loses their mind over whether or not Fields is ready to start. Give the guy a chance to learn the offense, execute the offense, and -show- what he can do and why he deserves to be that starter.

I honestly think Nagy's coach speak right now is the correct message. It gives both the team and Fields time to get acclimated to each other and will let Fields' play dictate the terms of his starting. The only way they royally screw this up is if they don't give Fields reps in practice as like the 3rd string behind Foles or some crap like that. That would be a complete disservice to both Fields and team to not give him the opportunity to show what he can do; however, there are no indications that is the case. So, I am going to assume positive intent that Dalton will get reps with the 1's, Fields will get reps with the 2's, etc. One of the keys right now in the development is just giving him reps to work through the transition from college to pros and making those adjustments to the NFL game. Give him that chance, and we will see what he does to earn reps with the 1's and eventually to start.

And as far as history with other qb's goes, imo, it doesn't matter as far as the exact timing - ie, which game a guy becomes the starter. You should not start or sit a guy by game X based on what some other team did with a different roster at a different point in time. As I said above, you give the guy an opportunity to show what he can do. Have your checklist of things you need to see him do to determine he is ready. When the checklist is complete, you start him. If that is game 1, you start him game 1. If that is game 5 and you current starter is just kinda meh, you start him game 5, etc. Just don't do the what I thought was kinda dumb like the Dolphins did last year and start your guy (in their case Tua) because you predetermined you would start him after the bye week regardless of how your team is playing, being in a playoff hunt, or that qb's readiness level.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Justin Herbert didn't start till game 2 after the team doctor fucked up an injection to Tyrod Taylor.

Hey....that's the ticket. Have one of the Bear's crack medical corp inject something into Dalton.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
jesus fuckin christ

he hasn't had a single practice rep in the nfl. how about that for a reason?

ffs, if he is that good, he will earn it in camp and the preseason. but he has to actually do it first

So are you saying that no rookies should start because none of them have had any reps in the NFL.

If we traded up and got Lawrence would you be claiming he should sit

There is no reason to be declaring Fields the unquestioned leader and starter right now but there is also no reason to be slapping training wheels on him right now either.

jive

Liked Posts:
First off, let's not compare Andy Dalton to Glennon. Glennon sucked, and always sucked. He had to have some dirt on someone in order to get employed because dude couldn't throw. Andy Dalton at least made the Pro Bowl a few times, had decent stats, and winning records. Do bad that was all many years ago, and he hasn't really done shit since.

Andy Dalton's style of play is so different from Justin Fields is that you really gotta commit to one in order to build your offense around it. Andy Dalton isn't going to have plays designed for his running ability, and he doesn't have the arm strength to chuck it downfield. I guess that's one of those things they'll need to figure out in training camp. I just hope the coaching staff makes it a true competition, and let the best guy start week 1.

I think the whole ruining a QB by starting them too early is crap. I think it has more to do with the player, not when they start. Does anyone really think that Rodgers and Mahommes would suck and be out of the league in a couple years if they started their rookie year? Does anyone think that J'Marcus Russell would have forsaken the purple drank and stayed slim if he sat a year?

Just start the player that gives us the best chance to win.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dalton is not Glennon.

Dalton has started before. Hes won games and played well.

We signed Glennon, when he did none of those things previously

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
they had talent. That’s why they were drafted early. But did they bust because they were played too early and that consistency and growth was stunted because of it? I don’t know. Neither do you. But I prefer not to find out.

And yes, MOST highly drafted QBs fail to live up to their draft position/talent.
How do you figure MOST highly drafted QBs fail to live up to their draft position? Please explain this. use the last 5 years. Each year there were 3 QBs drafted in the 1st round (that would qualify as highly drafted, right). Who is you example of bust because they were played to early? There are only 3 obvious bust and 2 of them were on the developmental path (Lynch and Haskins) Mitch is the only Bust in the last 5 years that started early. So again, do you think Mitch busted because he started week 4 or because he was just not talented enough (Could not hit the deep ball with consistency)?

Also, almost half 7 of 15 QBs start early by week 2 and out of those early starters they are successful. Wentz, Watson, Darnold, Murray, Allen, Burrow, and Herbert. That narrative that you are regurgitation is just wrong. maybe it was true 20 years ago, but the modern NCAA QB have been preparing for the pros from high school with all the QB Camps and extra off season training programs.