Filling the Bears Needs

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This discussion came up on Spiegel and Parkins yesterday and it centered around the fact that the Bears are unlikely to "FIX" some of the positions of need on the team. They will be able to address them, but not fix many of the areas that the Bears need to be addressed.

Looking at free agency, the draft and where the Bears will be positioned in both areas it is pretty clear that we are going to be improving, but hardly solidifying some areas.

OLB

Free Agency: Bad

Trent Murphy coming off an ACL, Aaaron Lynch relclamation project, Jeremiah Attouchu upside swing, there just is not a lot here.

Draft: Mediocre

Outside of Chubb I do not see a lot of 1st round or top 10 pass rush talents and while the 2nd round has some interesting players [Davenport, Hubbard etc] it is not like those guys can be counted on to come in and start day 1 and provide a rush.

This really seems like a position where the Bears are going to have to patch a unit together and hope that Floyd takes a step. I am also starting to see Willie Young retained just so they have someone who has sacked a QB a lot across from Floyd.

WR

Free Agency: Mediocre

With news that Watkins would be tagged and Adams re-signing this group took a big hit and seems full of upgrades for the Bears but hardly any impact players or guys who are going to win 1 on 1 a lot.

Draft: Deep but not top heavy

There does not appear to be a top 10 WR in the class and while there are some strong options down into the 2nd and 3rd round that could be big upgrades the 8th pick doe snot seem in play.

This is another position where it appears the Bears are going to upgrade, but not really "fix". I would be prepared for a unit that is made up of 3-4 #2 WRs and we will see what happens. I do not see a #1 WR to be had this offseason.

OT

Free Agency: Bad

Outside of Chris Hubbard I see nothing to get excited about or spend money on and I am not convinced Hubbard is a marked upgrade over Massie.

Draft: Solid

I am not sure about the #8 pick, but the addition of Heistand could put McGlinchey in play. There are a number of 2nd round OTs that also interest me and at minimum could come in and compete day 1.

CB

Free Agency: Good

A number of very good options [Butler, Johnson] that should hit the market and that the Bears could easily be involved in. If they choose to spend at the position they could pair on of those guys with Fuller and be in great shape even dominant at the position.

Draft: Good

Fitzpatrick is a must pick for me, Jackson and Ward would be solid picks at 8, and their is big/physical press man CB depth into the 2nd round pd the draft as well.

1. I do not see anyway we are going to drastically improve at OLB or WR. Improve, yes, but more of an upgrade than a fix.

2. CB is a position I think that the Bears can really build something by either keeping their guys or landing a big name.

3. OL is an area I think would do a ton for Mitch and there are options.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I would love to get a super star Olineman at #8. I know our line is improved but it still has rushers get by untouched too often and having all day to pass seems to be a rarity. Can't get the deep ball going if there's no time other than relying on Trubisky's feet.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Nagy can get Mitch and the Offense dealing that alone will improve the pass rush because teams will be needing to pass more against the Bears. The Offense was so flaccid and predictable this season that opposing offenses never had to play catch up.

With that said Floyd needs to stay healthy.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I was feeling good today.... Thanks Windy...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Don't agree on OLB. I think Key and Ferrell are for sure first rounders, and I think there are a number of guys who could go late first/second: Hubbard, Davenport (who could ascend quickly), Bryant, Ejiofor, Landry. And there is depth past that with placers like Armstrong, Frazier, Gustin.

I'm not as high on the tackle class. It's a premium position so guys will get drafted early, but I think there are pretty significant questions with Brown, McGlinchy, and especially Williams.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't agree on OLB. I think Key and Ferrell are for sure first rounders, and I think there are a number of guys who could go late first/second: Hubbard, Davenport (who could ascend quickly), Bryant, Ejiofor, Landry. And there is depth past that with placers like Armstrong, Frazier, Gustin.

I'm not as high on the tackle class. It's a premium position so guys will get drafted early, but I think there are pretty significant questions with Brown, McGlinchy, and especially Williams.

Key- major off field issues, injured all year, massive weight gain this season.

Ferrill-going back to Clemson.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

As I said in my write up there are lots of options in the 2nd round, the same at WR.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it is important that at OLB and WR we focus on "better" and not "good".

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Key- major off field issues, injured all year, massive weight gain this season.

Ferrill-going back to Clemson.

Key is still going to be a first rounder unless he really screws up the interviews - there's no real record on why he left the team. No arrests or team infractions. He wanted to put on weight, probably shouldn't have put on so much.

Where do you read Ferrell isn't coming out?

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Lamar Houston
Willie Young
Sam Acho

All performed pretty well this past year. I'd bring them back in that order

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Key is still going to be a first rounder unless he really screws up the interviews - there's no real record on why he left the team. No arrests or team infractions. He wanted to put on weight, probably shouldn't have put on so much.

Where do you read Ferrell isn't coming out?

Tony Pauline, apparently most of the Clemson DL is staying in school.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Great stuff Windy as always. I would be ecstatic with Jackson or Fitzpatrick at #8 and an OL in the second. The WR class is really deep without a lot of top-of-the-draft talent, and I think there is real solid value to be had in the later rounds. I really like Chark and/or Ateman in the 4th. Originally I wanted Sills but I found out that he is not coming out this year after all.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace's last draft was probably considered his better if not best draft for the Bears......all the positions that were considered deep were ignored by Pace and he got talent elsewhere....I am not too concerned about the deepness of the draft by position.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace's last draft was probably considered his better if not best draft for the Bears......all the positions that were considered deep were ignored by Pace and he got talent elsewhere....I am not too concerned about the deepness of the draft by position.

TE and RB were considered exceptionally deep last season.

He ignored the defense in a strong defensive draft.

I think the point is that we may see an offseason where again we patch holes in certain spots.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
If only Kevin White amounted to something. The blow that keeps on hurting the Bears. I think he is done, but that position needs what Kevin White was projected to be.

Nicker

Liked Posts:
Based on this assessment, it sounds like the best plan would be.

OLB: sign a depth player and spend 1 or 2nd round pick

WR: sign top player we can, use a couple of mid round picks

OT: ignore in free agency. Take with first or second pick

CB: sign top player we can. Ignore in draft (unless the value is too good to pass up)

That is basically how I have been wanting the draft to go anyway. I wouldn't mind a receiver in the second but I don't think there is value at 8. It'd be a nice year to trade down if we could.